News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Agreed.

I'm really happy that Ontario Northland is taking the time to listen to plan for an optimal service. A night train in seats sucks but is way more comfortable than a bus.

I just hope there is a food car. I have fond memories of riding the train and ordering a nuked pizza and loading on the salt whilst watching the snowy landscape drift by.
Food will be similar to airplanes in that they will bring it to your seat. As far as what food, it sounds like they may see about partnering with local northern restaurants for the food.

The One Web LEO satellites cover high latitudes (their service was initially only available at latitudes higher than 50 degrees). They offer 120Mb/s per antenna service with latency below 100ms.

Icomera is engaged in a pilot to bring 5G service to UK trains in locations without 5G towers by using One Web's service as backhaul.

As of July, Starlink had 4,487 operational satellites (per Space dot com), versus 634 operational for One Web (per Wikipedia at the time of this post). If I were making the choice today, hands-down I would be choosing Starlink.

If a direct rail link to Toronto is established I think it wouldn’t be as isolating. You could travel south several times a year to get whatever urban fix you think you’ll be missing.
Or fly direct to Pearson or The Island from Timmins - about and hour and a quarter away - and be there in about and hour and a half.

For all the obvious reasons - suffocating isolation, remoteness, crushing boredom, completely uninteresting town and landscape, horrible weather, zero attractions, lack of culture...did I cover everything? I simply can't fathom how people live in these places.
Are you sure you aren't describing downtown Toronto?
I kid. TBH, small town life is not for everyone, and that is ok.

I think discussing why somebody would or wouldn't be happy in a particular type of community is rather pointless. You either are, aren't or become. My first three OPP postings were about 500, 3500 and 5000 population. I know members who transferred out because they or their spouses didn't enjoy it.

Auto dependent for sure, except that they are walkable because they are small. Auto trips are typically really short or really long. Things like work-life balance, hobbies and pastimes are what you make them. Commutes are usually very short.

Heck, I've heard of people discussing moving north of Steeles in the same terms.

Back