News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

List all the things you would do as a winter or summer vacation in Canada. Pretty sure I can do that from my own front door. For example, Iam5minutes from a snowmobile trail. I am a half hour to an xc trail. I am 45minutes from a ski hill. I live on a lake, so all those activities in the summer can be done at my door step. Move my property to the GTA and I'd have paid about 20 times as much as I did. Move my property to the Cochrane area, and it is likely half what I paid for it.

First contract released for Northlander train infrastructure works:

Design, Production, and Delivery of Nine (9) Fabricated Passenger Shelters

This aligns with the market sounding stuff we saw earlier this year (in other words, these are train not bus shelters).
It's curious that I could open the addendum PDFs but the original document is locked. In the addendum, they mention "existing structures" at North Bay, Englehart and Cochrane. Nine shelters corresponds with all of the remaining stops (excluding GO stations and Timmins), so it seems they will not be trying to obtain space in existing structures such as Gravenhurst and Hunstville.

It's curious that I could open the addendum PDFs but the original document is locked. In the addendum, they mention "existing structures" at North Bay, Englehart and Cochrane. Nine shelters corresponds with all of the remaining stops (excluding GO stations and Timmins), so it seems they will not be trying to obtain space in existing structures such as Gravenhurst and Hunstville.
This could be a long term temporary solution. I imagine if any of those old stations get vacated, the ONR would buy them back.

That is a given. North Bay and Cochrane are already staffed by Ontario Northland employees, while Englehart has a modern building that has a (currently disused) passenger station and a divisional headquarters for freight services and maintenance of way. They will not be using the station buildings in Gravenhurst, Huntsville, South River, Temagami, New Liskeard (a 1960s-era building that's now abandoned), or Matheson.

I was just in Cochrane and am pleased that the very busy train station is going to be used! The train for Moosonee leaves from here as well as several Northland busses. It has a hotel and the best diner/restaurant in town. Finally it is surrounded by developable land and is across the street from the main drag.

That is a given. North Bay and Cochrane are already staffed by Ontario Northland employees, while Englehart has a modern building that has a (currently disused) passenger station and a divisional headquarters for freight services and maintenance of way. They will not be using the station buildings in Gravenhurst, Huntsville, South River, Temagami, New Liskeard (a 1960s-era building that's now abandoned), or Matheson.
Seeing as anything south of North Bay is CN territory, and most of the existing station structures are in either municipal or private hands, there *might* be the potential for an entrepreneur to try an allied business, such as a restaurant, particularly if they become the bus terminal as well. Rail alone will be too limited. Even with both rail and bus, the business model would need more sustainability. The proposed schedule would make only the Muskoka stations halfways viable.

Back