News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Perhaps a sign of things to come:

How Europe’s far right is marching steadily into the mainstream​

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2...ch-europe-growing-taste-for-control-and-order

“They are all different, and the cultures and political systems they operate in are all different,” said Catherine Fieschi, director of policy at Open Society Foundations Europe and an expert on populism, authoritarianism and the far right.
From Italy to Finland, much of Europe’s centre right is as hardline on immigration as the far right, while far-right parties are busy projecting economic discipline, dialling back on Euroscepticism and downplaying past support for Russia.
“The far right’s rise has coincided with the decline of a certain kind of left,” Fieschi said. “Far-right parties now seem like a reasonable vote for many of the people who in previous circumstances would have voted for a popular, protective left.”
What has changed, she said, is that we live “in the era of control. The Brexiters got that. The left may promise protection, but the far right promises order and control. It can’t necessarily deliver it – but it speaks more to people’s individual and cultural fears.”

An interesting take from Patrick Brown on the International Student situation.

Let me bring that forward, the preview challenged and the click-averse:

1700851633183.png

Now let me add the Mike Moffat Tweet he is referencing:

1700851703484.png

I was hunting around for budget data, not just because I am unhappy with the present government, but as unhappy with a future p.c.government, and was commenting to my elected and wannabe elected representatives.

The interesting thing about the fall economic statement as detailed by the present government, are that all projections are actually higher then they were for the March budget. So much for fiscal restraint (which was a laugh and a half from the get go).

Public debt charge projections have now increased by $8 billion to a projected figure of $58 billion. That’s 10% of the governments revenue.

And as the annual deficit will climb as well, $23 billion now, as opposed to $14 billion in March, those charges will show no signs of retesting. That’s the yearly budget deficit number, not the national debt.

It’s all well and good to talk about National Pharmacare, Dentalcare, care for the next battery producer that shows up, handouts to here, their and everywhere, and the much vaunted (and I predict, never to be built) HSR rail network, but we are simply not growing revenues strongly enough, our economy lags in most measures of productivity, and our political leaders think that as long as the debt to gdp ratio does not come close to the 1990’s, we’ll, it’s gravy train time. Not so I think, and if interest rates stay stubbornly high (or higher), there are going to be some interesting funding decisions to be made.

Some more research to be done here I think

I was also trying to sniff out some details re the housing initiative numbers, but it appears as if they do not actually come into play until 2025/26……and that is well and truly helpful. I guess 2024 is a wash at this point.

Let me bring that forward, the preview challenged and the click-averse:

View attachment 522642

Now let me add the Mike Moffat Tweet he is referencing:

View attachment 522645
As I said before most of these aren't really even 'international students' in the traditional sense given that every degree-mill 'college' now has an 'international program'- it's just a very underhanded way of creating a new indentured class (and one that is largely Indian) for our corporations and landlords.

Have you noticed that literally every fast food service worker and cashier is now Indian?

Last edited:
I was hunting around for budget data, not just because I am unhappy with the present government, but as unhappy with a future p.c.government, and was commenting to my elected and wannabe elected representatives.

The interesting thing about the fall economic statement as detailed by the present government, are that all projections are actually higher then they were for the March budget. So much for fiscal restraint (which was a laugh and a half from the get go).

Public debt charge projections have now increased by $8 billion to a projected figure of $58 billion. That’s 10% of the governments revenue.

And as the annual deficit will climb as well, $23 billion now, as opposed to $14 billion in March, those charges will show no signs of retesting. That’s the yearly budget deficit number, not the national debt.

It’s all well and good to talk about National Pharmacare, Dentalcare, care for the next battery producer that shows up, handouts to here, their and everywhere, and the much vaunted (and I predict, never to be built) HSR rail network, but we are simply not growing revenues strongly enough, our economy lags in most measures of productivity, and our political leaders think that as long as the debt to gdp ratio does not come close to the 1990’s, we’ll, it’s gravy train time. Not so I think, and if interest rates stay stubbornly high (or higher), there are going to be some interesting funding decisions to be made.

Some more research to be done here I think

I was also trying to sniff out some details re the housing initiative numbers, but it appears as if they do not actually come into play until 2025/26……and that is well and truly helpful. I guess 2024 is a wash at this point.

The dental care numbers are baked in; though I worry they are low because of the way the program has been structured, I expect many businesses will drop dental coverage if the gov't is set to pick up such coverage if they do.

I support pharmacare and would argue the costs are lower than they appear (remember almost all civil servants already receive coverage and the gov't will simply shift this from an employee benefit to a universal program.

Seniors, and those on social assistance are generally covered by the state already, and those programs would also be subsumed into pharmacare.

The accretive cost is only coverage of someone whose coverage the government did not pay for............

Its also offset by those who would benefit from coverage and then require less hospital care as a result.

That said, the corporate welfare needs reigning in irrespective of the deficit, which I agree is excessive, if not entirely unnecessary in the context of a near full-employment economy.

The dental care numbers are baked in; though I worry they are low because of the way the program has been structured, I expect many businesses will drop dental coverage if the gov't is set to pick up such coverage if they do.

I support pharmacare and would argue the costs are lower than they appear (remember almost all civil servants already receive coverage and the gov't will simply shift this from an employee benefit to a universal program.

Seniors, and those on social assistance are generally covered by the state already, and those programs would also be subsumed into pharmacare.

The accretive cost is only coverage of someone whose coverage the government did not pay for............

Its also offset by those who would benefit from coverage and then require less hospital care as a result.

That said, the corporate welfare needs reigning in irrespective of the deficit, which I agree is excessive, if not entirely unnecessary in the context of a near full-employment economy.
In a broad sense, I believe we should always be striving to offer more to Canadians than before. Housing, education, retraining, health care, some sort of a living wage subsidy, and Enviroment all rank high on my lists. Oh, and agriculture as well*. Providing all of these improving programs, can we call it the ‘Scandinavian’ model, while trying to emulate? compete? model? our neighbours to the south in terms of taxation and trade seems to be a real conundrum that I do not believe we are facing up to well.

Would be nice if the provinces ever accepted some responsibility for healthcare in their jurisdiction.

Would be nice if the provinces ever accepted some responsibility for healthcare in their jurisdiction.

Or housing. Or education. Or infrastructure. Or ...

But the Liberals aren't helping by simply bringing in a million annually and magically expecting it to work out. Failing to plan is planning to fail. And the polls are reflecting this. Voters will take it out on incumbents who have been in office the longest. And right now in many places that means the federal Liberals.

Back