News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Trudeau wants to maintain home prices while pushing affordability. Is it possible ?​

“Housing needs to retain its value,” Trudeau told The Globe and Mail’s City Space podcast last week. “It’s a huge part of people’s potential for retirement and future nest egg.”

I'm sorry but real estate speculation is not a viable retirement plan.

I'm sorry but real estate speculation is not a viable retirement plan.
You have nothing to apologize for. Unless you’re in government. As for Trudeau’s idea, it fails the economics test of supply and demand. More supply will cause housing prices to drop. And what does it matter? If you paid $1 million for a house today and in five years it’s worth $800k it doesn’t matter if you’re not planning to sell. Most every other asset depreciates, if I paid $80k for a car and in five years sell it for $50k should I feel put out?

Though Federal Governments over the past 30 years certainly have not done as much as they could to increase housing stock, we need to remember that housing is FAR more of a Provincial and Municipal responsibility. The City of Toronto has not moved nearly fast enough to get rid of NIMBY Zoning rules and procedures and the Ontario Provincial government under Harris transferred all their rental hosing to municipalities - without any funding for repairs. There is LOTS of blame to go around and the Feds are not the most blameworthy. This discussion really needs a separate thread.

Though Federal Governments over the past 30 years certainly have not done as much as they could to increase housing stock, we need to remember that housing is FAR more of a Provincial and Municipal responsibility.
The province (and the municipalities it oversees) may control the supply of housing, but the Feds control housing demand through throttling immigration. It’s the disconnect between the two that’s got us in a pickle. The very first call Trudeau should have made after (or ideally before) announcing record increases to immigration targets in 2016 should have been to the premiers to work out where these new Canadians were going to reside.

True. And it’s noteworthy how the UK and former Dominions continue to pull from India.

Well yes. After colonialism robbed them blind (India had something like 30% of global GDP before the Europeans arrived), all that is left to export is people unfortunately. Makes the Western complaints about non-white immigration (particularly in the UK) quite ironic.

Well yes. After colonialism robbed them blind (India had something like 30% of global GDP before the Europeans arrived), all that is left to export is people unfortunately. Makes the Western complaints about non-white immigration (particularly in the UK) quite ironic.
The old saying of "we are here because you were there" rings true. Though there are far more Indians and their descendants in the UK, including its Prime Minister (for now) than there were ever British people in India. So, clearly Indians have an affinity with all things British. Heck, they even own many of their former overlords brands. I suppose it's no different than wealthy Jews owning luxury German cars with Nazi roots.

Throughout nearly the entirety of British rule there were less than twenty thousand British (white) soldiers in India, and even fewer non-military British (white) administrators and civilians. India's 1/2 billion people were ruled (and robbed) by a few thousand Brits because the Indians allowed it to be so, and in fact facilitated it, and once they stopped, the British packed up and left. Even today India plays to the British divide and conquer policies of encouraging each ethnic group within India to identify less so as Indian nations and to hate one another. It's been over 75 years since Britain left, and still India cannot move on from this thinking. Indeed, Indians who come to Canada carry on this nonsense, with Sikhs, Hindus and Muslims bickering amoungst each other. The term Stockholm Syndrome should instead have an Indian name.

Last edited:

Calgary Liberal MP George Chahal is seeking support from his colleagues and is planning on travelling across the country to build a ‘coalition of support’ to stop the deportation of Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, the driver of the semi-truck involved in the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team bus crash in Saskatchewan in 2018 that took the lives of 16 people and injured 13 others.

“I have made a decision to raise my voice and stand with Jaskirat, and for forgiveness,” said Liberal MP George Chahal (Calgary Skyview, Alta.), who represents the riding where the Sidhu family lives, in an email to all Liberal MPs on May 28, and obtained by The Hill Times. “I will be traveling across the country to build a coalition of support for Jaskirat. I am asking each of you to contact me directly to let me know if you will stand with Jaskirat.”

Chahal said in the email that he was taking his initiative on behalf of Sidhu’s wife, a registered nurse, and their one-year-old son who has a serious congenital heart condition and requires neonatal care. Chahal said as a father of three young girls, he understands the grief that the parents must have gone through when they lost their children in the horrific crash, and requested his colleagues to consider his request on compassionate grounds for the Sidhu family. If Sidhu—who is a permanent resident—is deported, his wife and son would have to choose between living in Canada or moving back to India.

This documentary was about the UK and how badly British Tories enabled by strong Boomer support have utterly f'd that country over their last decade and a half in power. But there's a lot of parallels to what the LPC is doing in Canada and how equally ineffective our alternative parties are as. Seems like we'll get to where the UK is in 10-15 years if this keeps up.

Back