News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

More international students are seeking asylum in Canada, numbers reveal​

The number of study permit holders who sought asylum in Canada has more than doubled in the last five years, according to government data, which found eight of the top 10 post-secondary institutions with the highest refugee claimant numbers came from Ontario colleges.

Leger Poll on Federal Government's Immigration Plan

Last edited:
Apparently Immigration is becoming a hot button issue on the minds of Canadians..

https://archive.is/0mQr9

They see what a mess Europe is in because of immigration. It's starting to happen here as well.

Or housing. Or education. Or infrastructure. Or ...

But the Liberals aren't helping by simply bringing in a million annually and magically expecting it to work out. Failing to plan is planning to fail. And the polls are reflecting this. Voters will take it out on incumbents who have been in office the longest. And right now in many places that means the federal Liberals.
What this country needs is for all three levels of government to directly begin building tons of rental housing, which the government would then sell to rental management firms. And no, not RGI or subsidized housing, just hundreds of thousands of market rent units across the country, and especially in the now unaffordable urban markets. The government would flood the market with rentals, thus bringing down the rental cost.

They see what a mess Europe is in because of immigration. It's starting to happen here as well.
Sometimes it works. I cannot think of a single example of my people, ethnic English immigrants being involved in any non-familial violent crime. We are Canada's invisible immigrants.

We just arrived, and got to work. As an immigrant kid in the 1970s and 80s I can't even imagine a gang of thugs made up of entirely English kids. It even sounds silly, like a Mr. Bean episode.

english_gang_thailand_logo

Now mind, in the UK they are having huge issues with youth violence across all ethnicities, from the English to Indian/Pakistanis, Afro-Caribbean (Blacks), eastern Europeans and Arabs. So, it's not as if the English are not capable of youth violence, I just don't recall seeing it in an organized fashion in my immigrant community.

Last edited:
What this country needs is for all three levels of government to directly begin building tons of rental housing, which the government would then sell to rental management firms. And no, not RGI or subsidized housing, just hundreds of thousands of market rent units across the country, and especially in the now unaffordable urban markets. The government would flood the market with rentals, thus bringing down the rental cost.
From what I've seen of the federal government as a builder/developer on military bases, FNTs, etc. or as a landlord, I'm not sure I'd want them building much of anything. If nothing else, you'd probably add a decade and 10000 more public servants to the process.

From what I've seen of the federal government as a builder/developer on military bases, FNTs, etc. or as a landlord, I'm not sure I'd want them building much of anything. If nothing else, you'd probably add a decade and 10000 more public servants to the process.
Agreed, but I’m not suggesting federal civil servants are wielding hammers and bulldozers. Instead, the Feds, Prov and cities would put rental projects to tender, with the government(s) footing the bill and then leasing the building to property management firms, with rental fees set to recoup the building cost. This is essentially how TCHC housing gets built, but I’m thinking of marketing value rents. The result will mean that the government will flood the rental market, forcing condo owners to reduce their rents to compete.

I must admit that I have not entirely thought this through, but if the best way out of the shortage of non-RGI housing is to increase supply, and yet the private sector is not doing it fast enough, the only solution I see is government intervention that floods the market with rentals and forces rents down. Note I focus on rentals, since property ownership is a whole other matter.

Last edited:
Agreed, but I’m not suggesting federal civil servants are wielding hammers and bulldozers. Instead, the Feds, Prov and cities would put rental projects to tender, with the government(s) footing the bill and then leasing the building to property management firms, with rental fees set to recoup the building cost. This is essentially how TCHC housing gets built, but I’m thinking of marketing value rents. The result will mean that the government will flood the rental market, forcing condo owners to reduce their rents to compete.

I must admit that I have not entirely thought this through, but if the best way out of the shortage of non-RGI housing is to increase supply, and yet the private sector is not doing it fast enough, the only solution I see is government intervention that floods the market with rentals and forces rents down. Note I focus on rentals, since property ownership is a whole other matter.
Oh, I understand that, but between procurement, project management, federal-provincial-municipal liaison (building codes, zoning, etc.) and on and on, my estimate of 10000 would be gobbled up in a thrice and we haven't even thought about land assembly. All governments are bureaucratic, but the feds have raised it to an artform.

You are assuming that governments are genuinely interested in solving the problem. I see no real evidence of this. Mostly just tokenism.

Though there are certainly reasons to complain about (and even vote against) Trudeau's government. The Economist this week gives Canada very high marks over their handling of covid.

1701794448130.png

Back