News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Even thought TTC has budget operation cost starting Sept, its possible service could start in June assuming the big wigs can be on hand for the official opening then.

As others have predicted, the Finch will open ahead of the Crosstown Line if it opens in June.

During the ION testing, police were station at various intersections and crossings. Only can speak to the ones I saw first hand and video shot. Want to make sure fool drivers not getting hit as well getting them use to something new that will have to deal with on a daily base. Regardless of the police on site, fool drivers will do their thing during and after testing that some will get hit by the LRV or delay service..
So strange the frequency at which drivers hit light rail vehicles. They really are no different in size and length than an 18 wheeler, which there are already plenty of in the GTA.

So strange the frequency at which drivers hit light rail vehicles. They really are no different in size and length than an 18 wheeler, which there are already plenty of in the GTA.
Those are 42-meter cars and a lot longer than a 55' trailer truck and cab. They will match the many trucks on the roads today.

I have yet to see LRV movement on the line to see how it compares to the Crosstown Line as well look at the traffic lights.

Those are 42-meter cars and a lot longer than a 55' trailer truck and cab. They will match the many trucks on the roads today.

I have yet to see LRV movement on the line to see how it compares to the Crosstown Line as well look at the traffic lights.

The Alstom Citadis Spirit vehicles used on Line 6 are 48.4m long while the Flexity Freedom cars (used on ION and Line 5) are 30.8m long. Considering Line 5 will not use single vehicles the trains on Line 5 would be at minimum ~63m long. I've only seen the Line 6 trains moving at most 10 km/h so far but they do have a pretty substantial presence on Finch when they are out. Looking forward to the next few months when they start ramping up the speed of the testing, and activate all the signals.

The sign newly installed at Finch West Station appears to be different than the one installed at Humber College station. (Apologies for the bad shot, you may reply with a better image if you’d like.)
IMG_1648.jpeg

According to the Mx wayfinding standards (page 46 of the pdf, 38 in the content), this is a pedestrian totem and is meant to identify the location of the entrance, as well as include a map for local wayfinding (à la TO360). The pedestrian lollipop is meant to simply identify the location of an entrance from a distance.

View attachment 531395
Thanks for the info!

Video of first train into Humber College Station:

I love all the BACKYARDS of the series of SFH's backing directly onto a major rapid transit line. That's so Toronto 🤣

I would certainly hope so. Finch needs to transform into a proper midrise arterial for its entire length.

Etobicoke has some highrise clusters, for example on Eglinton near Kipling, or on Dixon Road. If I am not mistaken, a few highrises along Finch as well. They are kind of randomly placed, I guess wherever the developers were able to purchase enough land. The rest is mostly SFH.

Perhaps it is good that they are building higher-capacity transit first, and rezoning for midrises / highrises after. Finch West bus was/is a pain with the existing density, especially before Finch West subway opened. Crowded at peak time, uneven headways etc.

Had they densified the street before the LRT came, that would lead to 2x or 3x as many riders, and more misery.

Back