News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Those three already have free co-fare with GO.
What happens then when you take the subway to GO, GO to Oakville, and an Oaktown bus somewhere - all under 2 hours. 1 fare? 2?

It seems to be up to fare enforcement of the specific agency you're riding. TTC explicitly states it only needs to be within the 2 hour window when you tapped:
People ride very frequently after the 2-hour mark. Because it allows for the return trip to start within 2 hours. I'm often out running errands or something, and I'm somewhere on my second or third journey (and 4th or 5th vehicle) when the 2-hour mark hits.

TTC wording sounds fine. I suspect if an agencies wording sounds funny, it is because they don't actually have fare inspectors out there on vehicles, and have never had to worry about the implications.

I wonder how this effects the 3-hour period on GO vehicles. Though I guess that's something that people using just 905 and GO have already tested.

I think only GO, TTC and Viva have fare inspectors because all other systems you're paying at the driver, so there's little need for fare inspectors. It's probably assumed that when you got on the bus, you paid, so they don't need to check you on board again, so you can easily go past the two hour transfer mark.
Except for Viva which will have fare inspectors waiting on the platform to be sure you tapped on earlier.

TTC only has fare inspectors on streetcars or at stations with streetcars because you can get on without actually paying.

Viva is that weird case where you have to tap on the platform and not on the bus.

I wonder how this effects the 3-hour period on GO vehicles. Though I guess that's something that people using just 905 and GO have already tested.

From the initial tap on GO, even if you have previously been on a local system, you will have a new 3-hour window, including any subsequent systems.

What happens then when you take the subway to GO, GO to Oakville, and an Oaktown bus somewhere - all under 2 hours. 1 fare? 2?
When you tap on GO, it gives you a new three hours transfer.
By definition, any tap on local transit within those next three hours should be free.
So for your example, one fare. (you will also have way more than two hours to complete the trip)

The new free transfers from TTC to/from other agencies started on Monday. Here's what it looks like in the Presto account.

Only thing to note, is rather than showing a transfer, it shows a $0 charge (ditto on the display when you tap).

There's a YRT/TTC/GO/TTC trip I do occasionally. I'm curious to how well that works! Though perhaps YRT/GO/TTC would be a better test (the combinations are endless! :) )

1709169073550.png

Edit. I'll never beat this person though:

1709170326730.png

Last edited:
The new free transfers from TTC to/from other agencies started on Monday. Here's what it looks like in the Presto account.

Only thing to note, is rather than showing a transfer, it shows a $0 charge (ditto on the display when you tap).

There's a YRT/TTC/GO/TTC trip I do occasionally. I'm curious to how well that works! Though perhaps YRT/GO/TTC would be a better test (the combinations are endless! :) )

View attachment 544366

View attachment 544371

It officially started on Monday, but my trips from the weekend were covered by One Fare, and possibly as early as February 10th. They probably spent two weeks making sure everything was in order, so the program was probably "turned on" by then. It's just that they couldn't guarantee you'll only be charged one fare before February 26.

It officially started on Monday, but my trips from the weekend were covered by One Fare, and possibly as early as February 10th. They probably spent two weeks making sure everything was in order, so the program was probably "turned on" by then. It's just that they couldn't guarantee you'll only be charged one fare before February 26.
It certainly wasn't working on TTC/YRT on Friday February 23rd.
1709174200046.png

View attachment 544366

View attachment 544371
Lol I did this yesterday since I was running errands on different ends of the city. Free transfers galore!
Screenshot_20240228_214048_PRESTO.jpg

I'm finding this all very confusing. I feel like MX is going to have to invest in some AI, super computer inorder to keep track of all the trips taken and calculate how much to charge.

The AI computer will be so good, that it'll replace Phil Vester as CEO of MX.

That’s half the reason why we didn’t have fare integration till now (the other half being agencies didn’t want to lose revenue). This many different agencies, each with their own fare policies, meant a lot of edge cases that had to be worked out.

I'm finding this all very confusing. I feel like MX is going to have to invest in some AI, super computer inorder to keep track of all the trips taken and calculate how much to charge.

The AI computer will be so good, that it'll replace Phil Vester as CEO of MX.
Not having that supper commuter back in 2007/08 was the real killer for Presto then and today. That is the weakest link in the Presto system why I don't like it based on using other system that are/were better starting with the Burlington Smart card that existed long before the Presto system surface.

Regardless of who is CEO of ML, the CEO gets their marching orders from above them even if they are mostly wrong in the first place. The AI computer will be unplugged if it goes against its master.

That’s half the reason why we didn’t have fare integration till now
It's more or less the exact same fare integration system we've had for a decade plus. Half a dozen local agencies have been integrated with each other and GO since at least 2014. It's never been "confusion" or technical limitations that's kept the TTC out of it for so long.

Back