The gaping wall-hole they call a ‘garage entrance’ is such an urban buzz kill at street level.

I wish they would have worked with the Textile Building folks to work in a driveway into the garage from George St, but I guess we’re stuck with this 🤮

Speaking of George Street, has anyone noticed how much of a wind-tunnel it has become since this Mac building topped off?

The gaping wall-hole they call a ‘garage entrance’ is such an urban buzz kill at street level.

I wish they would have worked with the Textile Building folks to work in a driveway into the garage from George St, but I guess we’re stuck with this 🤮

Speaking of George Street, has anyone noticed how much of a wind-tunnel it has become since this Mac building topped off?
Nothing beats the Platinum wind tunnel. They seriously need to change the wind studies to more heavily punish designs that don't reduce wind effects at ground. There are now multiple places around this area where it is legitimately terrible to walk certain times of the year.

You guys wanted your "canyons" - that's the price you pay for having tall buildings - it's why it's so wind tunnely in toronto.

and yeah I hate the garage concrete area.

Hopefully the parking garage entrance won't be quite as noticeable when the second Mac tower next door gets built.

I wonder what the address is here?
1000004727.jpg

Why does it look like a giant shipping crate balanced precariously on a thin flimsy piece of concrete

Something about this building looks unfinished. At least looking from the south. I hope the second residence building breaks ground in the next year or two.

Something about this building looks unfinished. At least looking from the south. I hope the second residence building breaks ground in the next year or two.
While I suspect the second residence building is in the plans, I'd assume the building will not start until the Lincoln Alexander Hall is nearly complete or fully complete. These buildings are a big cost on McMaster during uncertain times resulting from foreign student reductions. McMaster relies mostly on domestic students compared to other universities, and the leaders have always insisted on that. In recent years though, there have been pressures to join the international student game as a result of the huge financial benefits of doing so. The recent government policies offer reduced financial stability for these institutions and they will be more risk adverse in the nearer future.

They likely also want to make sure the current building has no substantial issues moving forward. That all being said, it must be something they are seriously pursuing to move forward considering this building is clearly designed with a second building beside it in mind.

It is nice at least to see multiple buildings all factor in each other for an overall build though - everything has been made in this block to connect to everything else.

While the textile factory building is engulfed in new design and almost forgotten hehe..

I don't find the new proposed tower looks as nice as the one they just finished though. More "generic" - the other 2 corners have nice curves and small nuances that make them really stand out.

I would guess it's a pretty preliminary design and wouldn't take more credence to it -- more just reference for scale.

Back