News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

unimaginative2 indicated in the Sheppard Subway west thread that Downsview Station was designed to accommodate a future Sheppard line so this seems the most cost effective plan. Besides it seems silly to send York students all the way down to Wilson to turn back. Meanwhile people heading downtown are only marginally going to have to go further west before they head downtown.

Well, connecting those passenger flows could have been one of the goals, but that does not mean the tracks were configured to accomodate the connection to Sheppard line. It looks like the Sheppard tracks will have to continue west of Allen, turn south-west and surface somewhere south of Sheppard, then turn south and continue west of the existing yard, before they can make a connection.

Anyway, the important part is to get the two lines connected. The choice of Downsview or Wilson as a connection point is a technical detail.

Of course, a subway and "Avenuization" don't necessarily go together. Subways lead to enormous density at nodes, not uniform distribution of mid-rise buildings along the edges...

Do have a source for that information?
I know it looks like on a map that the Downsview extension was built to connect with sheppard

Read this article http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5109.shtml

Sure, the source is in this article: http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5109.shtml.

Note, it is the same article you linked to.

Network 2011 is a plan containing ... "an extension of the Sheppard Subway west to an extension of the Spadina Subway".

"The Spadina extension to Sheppard was the common part of both plans"

The 2011 plan included an interchange at Downsview. The article you linked to hints at this without coming right out and saying it.

^ Which hopefully means when designing the current Downsview station they ensured that a second station could be accommodated easily along with track connections to the Wilson yards.

Sheppard/Yonge was built with the thought it would be expanded in the future. No reason to think they didn't do the same at Downsview.

Of course an easy connection between Sheppard and Spadina can be had at Downsview...for one thing, Downsview station is enormous and surrounded mostly by fields and parking lots.

Subways plus our zoning and urban design policies lead to that.

Nope. Subways alone cannot lead to tower clusters, but zoning and urban design policies alone can and do. There's dozens of tower clusters not on subway lines and many subway stations surrounded by houses or less.

Again, I urge you to take a stroll along Sheppard West at and east of Downsview station, where the subway (and zoning, of course) has led to textbook Avenueization.

Sure, the source is in this article: http://transit.toronto.on.ca/subway/5109.shtml.

Note, it is the same article you linked to.

Network 2011 is a plan containing ... "an extension of the Sheppard Subway west to an extension of the Spadina Subway".

"The Spadina extension to Sheppard was the common part of both plans"

The 2011 plan included an interchange at Downsview. The article you linked to hints at this without coming right out and saying it.

That article does not say that the Downsview extension was built specifically to connect with the sheppard line, which is the statement that I was responding to. It was just the province telling the city, "Okay, here's a subway, now get lost! They picked Downsview because of the competing plan (not 2011) to bring the Spadina line to York University

That article does not say that the Downsview extension was built specifically to connect with the sheppard line, which is the statement that I was responding to. It was just the province telling the city, "Okay, here's a subway, now get lost! They picked Downsview because of the competing plan (not 2011) to bring the Spadina line to York University

They build the component which was common to BOTH of the proposed extensions.

Downsview capable of acting as a major interchange and as a bus hub is a part of this. A major retrofit is not required to do this.

Of course an easy connection between Sheppard and Spadina can be had at Downsview...for one thing, Downsview station is enormous and surrounded mostly by fields and parking lots.

Nope. Subways alone cannot lead to tower clusters, but zoning and urban design policies alone can and do. There's dozens of tower clusters not on subway lines and many subway stations surrounded by houses or less.

Again, I urge you to take a stroll along Sheppard West at and east of Downsview station, where the subway (and zoning, of course) has led to textbook Avenueization.

I agree with this 100%. MCC isn't anywhere near a subway line, or a GO Train line for that matter, yet it is destined to become the part of Mississauga with the highest density (and a lot of public transit use as well). This is due to zoning (i.e. no height restrictions).

Downsview may not have been built with hidden staircases and platforms ready to be used simply by punching a wall down and turning the lights on, but that doesn't mean there inherently must be difficulties in building an interchange with the Sheppard line.

With Downsview now seriously in play as a master planned community (https://www.id8downsview.ca/), it may be a catalyst and create some resources towards extending Sheppard (Line 4) west, connecting Sheppard and Sheppard West Stations.

Here is a rececnt blogTO article on this topic: https://www.blogto.com/city/2020/02/sheppard-east-subway-extension-toronto/

Here is the Metrolinx report they refer to: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...220_BoardMtg_Advancing_Transit_Priorities.pdf

And here are the pages on this westward extension. Interestingly scores very well on all criteria except planning and funding.

1591300321726.png

1591300355001.png

I think this might happen before we get any kind of eastward expansion.

While I would personally want to see it extended even further west down Sheppard or Wilson, just closing the gap would be huge for redundancy in the system, and would be useful for bypassing whatever seems to happen at the Wilson Yard that delays northbound trains in the morning.

Back