News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

my first thought was "oh, wow" as well.

I think there are a couple pieces of land that could be jewels in the central waterfront that still haven't been developed. Besides the Harbourfront Centre Parking lot, there's the parking lot at Queens Quay and Rees, as well as the silos at the foot of Bathurst. I also think that there's potential for building something in the lake (Sydney Opera house-esque) that could act as a jewel and focal point. There's potential all around, it's just a matter of people getting behind the possibilities and not settling for something less than stellar.

I can't wait for the Parliament deck. As it is, I'm about a five minute walk from there, but that area of the waterfront is hardly enjoyable in its current state.

Perhaps this was asked before, but what are the odds that they'll actually go with those cobblestone pavers seen in the various renderings?

it would be nice if they had a cobblestone area like Boston does. I love walking around that place. It felt so European and ageless.

Not sure about Toronto (although I'm sure we had it too) but many cities and towns in the province originally had their roads made of brick. In Welland there's still a section of road near the downtown that wasn't paved over, that is made of the original bricks that were laid over a century ago. I think that would fit better than cobblestone only because we would have a historical basis for using it. I could be wrong, but I don't recall ever reading about Toronto's cobblestone streets. Plus some red brick would just look awesome

There's some remaining red brick streets off Bathurst in Forest Hill, and another in the Old Mill zone...

There's some remaining red brick streets off Bathurst in Forest Hill, and another in the Old Mill zone...

Also Carlton St east of Sumach (south of Riverdale Park) and a couple of streets in Rosedale. I also noticed that Frederick Street from Front to King has red brick just under the asphalt.

Not sure about Toronto (although I'm sure we had it too) but many cities and towns in the province originally had their roads made of brick. In Welland there's still a section of road near the downtown that wasn't paved over, that is made of the original bricks that were laid over a century ago. I think that would fit better than cobblestone only because we would have a historical basis for using it. I could be wrong, but I don't recall ever reading about Toronto's cobblestone streets. Plus some red brick would just look awesome

Yup, lots of brick roads in Toronto. Some of them still exist under a few layers of ashphalt. Distrillery-style brick pathways would look great here.

Other than the Distillery I hadn't seen any. Mind you I have only lived here a couple years. It doesn't surprise me there would still be some around.

Even east York, around Jane/Eglinton had brick roads in some neighbourhoods. Every now and then when they do resurfacing, you get a glimpse of the red brick that was used before asphalt.

There are brick roads in Cabbagetown.. Spadina Avenue used to be brick, but I'm sure that was completely torn up due to streetcar tracks...

Brick roads were discovered under Ross St:

DSC02648.JPG

Thanks for the pic. It will be interesting to see if these two wave decks open in July/August or sometime in September like the last one.

Back