News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Thanks for the link.

I like the little details, like the bridge's metal anchors shaped as a leaf, and the end of handrails shaped as oars. And the fact that the bridge will be constructed like stairs is nice.

I think "begging the question" is a phrase that should be accepted into the lexicon. The recieved meaning is, in fact, a lot more useful than the "proper" meaning, which I can never seem to get into my head no matter how often I look it up.

I think "begging the question" is a phrase that should be accepted into the lexicon. The recieved meaning is, in fact, a lot more useful than the "proper" meaning, which I can never seem to get into my head no matter how often I look it up.

It's useful, but redundant. "Raising the question" means literally the exact same thing as improper usage of "begging the question." Why not use that phrasing instead?

Furthermore, there is no substitute phrase for the original and proper meaning of "begging the question." So if we discard the original meaning of the phrase, we also discard some of our capacity to communicate efficiently.

Do we really need to throw out subtlety and nuance in language for the sake of brash expediency? That would be doubleplusungood.

While reading that, I couldn't help but notice that all the new public space along the waterfront will be made of wood. This raises the question "Is it feasible?? How long until we have to replace the wood??" I am very afraid that they're not thinking long-term by making verything made out of wood. Also, won't the wood look crappy after years of exposure to rain??

I'm pretty sure they thought of that, jks. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pressure-treated wood lasts 40+ years.

lol, sorry, that must have been annoying. I was referencing back to the comment how beautiful and bright the Spadina WaveDeck looked, and then it turned greyish. Thanks for the answer. But still, in 40 years, changing every single waveDeck, it would take a lot of work.

While reading that, I couldn't help but notice that all the new public space along the waterfront will be made of wood. This raises the question "Is it feasible?? How long until we have to replace the wood??" I am very afraid that they're not thinking long-term by making verything made out of wood. Also, won't the wood look crappy after years of exposure to rain??

well the wood is pre-treated to make it last longer. i'm not too sure of the specifics as it also depends on what species of wood their using.

the wood really gives a lot of warmth that no other material can. the spadina bridge looks fantastic.

...and seems it will look particularly great at night. Looking forward to our new waterfront!

I really like those night time renders! If it turns out to look like that, then wow!
The benches on the wavedeck should be lit up the same way underneath.

Lighting the benches from underneath would outline them at night and draw people to go sit on them - that could be quite good!

I was on the Spadina Slip the other night and noticed the change in texture, from concrete to word, can be appreciated even while wearing winter boots and also made a difference acoustically. BTW, the lighting effect, once I noticed it, was a really nice, subtle touch. The cool, calm blue on a cold, quiet winter night, blah blah blah.

As well, I have heard the idea of a public bathing facility at Portland Slip around town and think it is a fantastic idea! Something similar to the Public Baths in Budapest or Reykjavík. Now that would be something to get people down there during the winters.

iceland-1.jpg

Last edited:
As well, I have heard the idea of a public bathing facility at Portland Slip around town and think it is a fantastic idea! Something similar to the Public Baths in Budapest or Reykjavík. Now that would be something to get people down there during the winters.

iceland-1.jpg

Totally man, I would love to see something unique like that... it would be quite refreshing!

I love the design of the Spadina bridge. Very cool Someone should post pics from the PDF. I'm too lazy to do it.

A'right. Wish granted.

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 277
  • bridge3.jpg
    bridge3.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 245
  • bridge4.jpg
    bridge4.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 249
  • bridge2.jpg