769 sq.ft.
$341,900

3 BEDROOM
824 sq.ft.
$374,900

2 BEDROOM PLUS DEN*
1112 sq.ft.
$519,900

No offense mattchew008, but I found the floorplans pretty bad.

IIRC, I believe MikeinTO (who's somewhat of an insider) stated that FLY is about 25% sold.

Think long and hard as to why you want this place?
Who bought it - you, your gf or both?
The earlierst this place will probably be built is at least 3 YEARS !
Will you be together then?

Since you have until Friday, get an extension, then you have leverage to try to negotiate parking.

Thanks cdr108, I know you haven't been the biggest fan of Fly from the get go.

The place is actually in both our names...
People have said it would be better to put it under one of our names instead that way we could take advantage of first home buyers plan twice.

As for being together in 3 years, I would say that's pretty safe to say yes.

But you're right, if I still haven't fully decided, I should really ask for an extension on the place, hopefully they won't have a problem with it.

Personally we really like the place, but we also didn't necessarily look/shop around too much and weren't really sure what was out there. We got into the VIP, loved the unit and the condo features and location, plus with the 4% discount and financing available it seemed like a really good idea. We still have till Saturday to make our decision and have heard mixed opinions from different people.

You should probably take a look at other presentation centres and see what others offer. That way you see different materials used and get a better feel if the fly meets your need. Also, you should ask what are upgrades in the model suite you see. If you want to look like the model suite, you may have to pay a lot in upgrades later. For example, I heard a lot of people bought Ice after they saw the model suite. But I wonder if the buyers know they're not getting everything shown in the model suite.

Some agents are saying FLY offers great value especially compared to 300 Front as well right now is a very good time to buy a condo.

Would a sales person tell you not to buy something if they're on commission? Also you can't compare fly to 300 front. Tridel is a big name builder. They charge and arm and a leg like Daniel. Do you compare Gap and Gucci?

Others say right now is a bad time to buy a condo and prices will continually drop. I've taken a look at market data and condo sales seem to be increasing lately and the prices aren't dropping as drastic, I think they are in line with 2007 prices or so. I'm a bit concerned for resale value.

I don't think there's going to be any drastic drop in prices for pre-construction. The government is charging too many fees. Those fees are passed onto the buyer. There may be price drops for "white boxes" after HST hits. It might even be better. Then you can save money and headaches by finding a contractor through word of mouth who is good and save on upgrades and have them fix it until you're satisfied. With condo builders, after you move in, you do a PDI. Just cuz you do a PDI doesn't mean everything will be fixed to you liking. The contractors don't seem to care after the job is done.

I think in the early 400's isn't too bad. Downtown resale is around high 400's currently. I don't think the market will drop too far down. At worst resale might hit 350.

Thanks AKS, you bring up a lot of valid points.

I'm going to have a long discussion with my gf tonight and see what we think of the place and is it really to our liking. As well try to get an extension and take a look at other condos available.

If in the end we still like FLY we'll take it.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Thanks AKS, you bring up a lot of valid points.

I'm going to have a long discussion with my gf tonight and see what we think of the place and is it really to our liking. As well try to get an extension and take a look at other condos available.

If in the end we still like FLY we'll take it.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

AKS has given you some good advise. Don't get sucked up by all the hype Fly has generated lately.
Shop around..a lot. In this market you do have time.
REMEMBER! No matter how nice they smile, the builder's agent is not your new pal.;)

The place is actually in both our names...
People have said it would be better to put it under one of our names instead that way we could take advantage of first home buyers plan twice.

What is this rule? I am not aware of it? If anyone has more details on that or could point me to it, it would be greatly appreciated. Please PM me as this isnt really Fly specific.

Thanks

Thanks Mattchew & CDR:

I was under the impression that the floorplans had been revised and divided into smaller units. As it is looking at the two sources, nothing seems to have changed other than a price drop.

Pricing is a bit of a let down though... Once you add in cost for parking (@$40k) the prices jump back up $450 psf range. As much as this forum seems to be anti car, having a parking spot is important to some people. Even if said car is only used on weekends or occaisionally. Problem is, I think, that Empire probably thinks that it can generate more revenue by using the underground parking for commuter parking rather than resident parking. $10 a day per car will bring in some nice revenue for Empire, the management company, or some 3'rd party parking corp (IMPark?).

Also I was kind of hoping for a 1 bedroom at $159. Anyway I think I'll head over and check out their 'grand opening' on the 9'th.

Thanks Mattchew & CDR:

I was under the impression that the floorplans had been revised and divided into smaller units. As it is looking at the two sources, nothing seems to have changed other than a price drop.

Pricing is a bit of a let down though... Once you add in cost for parking (@$40k) the prices jump back up $450 psf range. As much as this forum seems to be anti car, having a parking spot is important to some people. Even if said car is only used on weekends or occaisionally. Problem is, I think, that Empire probably thinks that it can generate more revenue by using the underground parking for commuter parking rather than resident parking. $10 a day per car will bring in some nice revenue for Empire, the management company, or some 3'rd party parking corp (IMPark?).

Also I was kind of hoping for a 1 bedroom at $159. Anyway I think I'll head over and check out their 'grand opening' on the 9'th.

Hi Woodbridge_Heights. The link I provided for the floorplans are probably the original plans, and I heard the same rumour of revised units.

The 'word' that someone mentioned here is that $159K will get a 400sf unit. I don't know if that's considered a 1 bed suite, but it certainly is being passed off as one these days.

I spoke to an individual who's very familiar with this project and he told me some of the reasons for the lower prices:
- that most, if not all, the floorplans have been rejigged to be smaller,
- the quality of the features and finishes have been lowered/discontented (alot of what used to be 'standard' finishes in the model suite are now upgrades), and
- the new building design cheapened.

Also, they've jacked the price of parking up from original $25K.

Thanks for the replies to my previous emails. I am wondering how likely the building is going to get built, given that someone mentioned in this thread that they are now about only 25% - 30% sold. I'd like to weigh the risks of have my money tied up in a condo project only to find that the condo is not getting built, while alternatively I could have put my money in some other places with higher chances of getting built.

Has the 25% sold rate gone up? How many units are needed to be sold in order for the project to get going?

Thanks a lot!

Back