Personally, when I was at the VIP viewing, I saw quite a bit of units sold.

Not all were there, but from what I saw, it looked like 60% of the units avaliable at the VIP viewing were sold. I'm not 100% what that equates to though.

johnsmith, I'm in a similar situation as you, I would really like to know if this project is going to be built and not delayed before I fully commit to it.

my 2 cents worth ...

I think Empire is a good reputable builder who's relatively new to high-rise ... but they have delivered well on all their projects completed to date both in quality + workmenship

by doing the re-launch + re-design, it seems clear to me that Empire is serious about FLY Condos project and to get it off the ground ... I think any potential purchasers simply need to focus on:
  1. do you honestly like the floorplan ?? (there are many poor layouts IMO)
  2. do you like the standard finishings ?? (make sure you know what is standard vs costly upgrades)
  3. by the time you throw in parking, if needed, is the pricing still attractive ??
  4. fully recongize that there will be no view to the east + west, Element (east) and likely another tower (west) will block it

Actually, I think it's the southview that is blocked by Element. To my knowledge, the east view is still open right now

Actually, I think it's the southview that is blocked by Element. To my knowledge, the east view is still open right now

Element is directly east of FLY, so that's not possible. There will be no view to the east at all. However the cityplace apex/matrix condos are also south of fly (across front street), so the views south won't be spectacular either.

Element is directly east of Fly. The first 10 floors of the 24-storey portion of the building will directly abut Element. As Solaris said, east views are pretty much shot. South across Front Street is Apex and Matrix, so you'll get a nice view of those buildings. The only units without obstructions 30 metres or less would be north facing units, or west facing units in the 22-storey portion of the buiding, depending on what may eventually be built on the adjacent property to the west.

Yeah sorry you're correct. There is no view to the south or to the east. I bet owners of west views at Element and north views at Matrix are loving the idea of having heir views blocked by Fly too. :)

At this moment, i would probably go with the standard finishing. A nice view would be good but not a must. What's more important would be the resale value: if in the future, my view (north or west) eventually got blocked by new developments, how would that affect the resale value of my unit? Would that go down sustaintially?

If the more affordable units are of this type (nice view now, but will be blocked later), I'd need to rethink about the getting a unit there.

Thanks a bunch for all your advice!

Question?

What would've happened to those who purchased before the re-launch? I guess they would get their full deposit back....but would they get the option of picking a unit before the public does?

Tonight's going to be a zoo

I was at the line up yesterday for getting priority numbers for today's broker event. There were about 70 agents there. I was expecting maybe 25 or 30. It's going to be a zoo tonight at the broker's event!

Starting to feel like 2007 in this town...

How many of these events have happened in the last 6-8 months (across the City, not just Fly)? I bet not even close to the number in 2007, so everyone lining up is just going because there is nothing else to go to and pick up units for brokers.

well, we all know how that ended up ... :eek:

On a side note, I was out the other day and bumped into an acquaintance who was with their realtor. They were talking about the market (of course). This realtor has almost 3 decades experience, and according to them the current frothy buzz about all this activity is noise for the public and will see a -20% correction by end of next year.

I was at the line up yesterday for getting priority numbers for today's broker event. There were about 70 agents there. I was expecting maybe 25 or 30. It's going to be a zoo tonight at the broker's event!

Broker events are often a bit of a zoo, and this one may be even more so, as it's one of the few games in town right now. This project has been well positioned from the marketing point of view. The builder has blizzarded the real estate offices in town with promotions.

2007? We should be so lucky :) The real estate market is slowly but surely beginning to see some signs of life, but we are a long way from two years ago. The stock market (a leading indicator) is showing real life, but the job market still stinks. The job market and interest rates are the two major drivers of the real estate market.

well, we all know how that ended up ... :eek:

On a side note, I was out the other day and bumped into an acquaintance who was with their realtor. They were talking about the market (of course). This realtor has almost 3 decades experience, and according to them the current frothy buzz about all this activity is noise for the public and will see a -20% correction by end of next year.

So all condos will depreciate by 20% by the end of next year? What is the basis for this prediction?

element_150.gif
is 24 storeys
element.jpg

source: http://urbanrealtytoronto.com/wordpress/2006/12/30/element-20-blue-jays-way-2/

Back