News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

simuls may have a pt as I read that a reg drill can 'burn out' if not enough pwr?

Burn out from too little power?...wouldn't it self destruct when you unplug it?

You'd prefer the advice of someone who's never used a power tool, over others who use them often.....your choice, good luck ;)

Funny, I don't know if he's ever used a power tool or not, but he does know more about them than you. Using a drill without a hammer function to drill concrete can burn out a drill because you're stalling the motor. Similarly, but unrelated to the drilling of concrete, running an electric motor with insufficient power will also cause it to stall, which in turn will burn out the windings.

When you're drilling pay attention to how hot the casing it getting (you should always be doing that anyway, just good practice), and stop to give it time to cool down if it does get warm. Tho, really, just grab a hammerdrill.

Funny, I don't know if he's ever used a power tool or not, but he does know more about them than you.

How would you know...you know less then both of us.

Using a drill without a hammer function to drill concrete can burn out a drill because you're stalling the motor.

Using the drill without a masonary bit will probably shorten its life....but you wouldn't know that since you're not familiar with a masonary bit...google it, you may learn something.

Similarly, but unrelated to the drilling of concrete, running an electric motor with insufficient power will also cause it to stall, which in turn will burn out the windings.

But, no one is starving the drill for power, which is determined by the impedance of the windings at 60Hz...it's designed that way....but thanks for revealing your lack of knowledge of how electric motors work.

Can I interrupt the pillow-fight for a wee little question... lol

I'd like to drill some holes into my wall, into the drywall portion only. I am hanging some relatively lightweight canvas prints (framed). I honestly don't want to bother with an impact hammer ($$) just for some canvas art...
Will a cheapo Canadian Tire drill along with some 0.5" drywall screws be ok?

Actually, no I haven't ever heard of a masonary bit. Is it anything like a masonry bit?

Sure, they make masonry bits with straight shanks on them that are meant to be used in a typical non-hammering drill. Like the cheapie you get in a box of tapcons. But they're meant for amateur home users that might need to drill like one hole a year. Any serious user is going to buy a proper bit with an SDS adapter on the shank so that they can use it in the appropriate tool. It's like saying that because you can put a screwgun bit into a drill that a drill is the same thing as a screwgun.

And your literacy seems to be as impaired as your knowledge of power tools, so I'll clarify something you've missed. Simuls clearly mentioned a hypothetical situation where the drill is starved of power, which would cause the drill to burn out. You told him that wasn't true, I corrected you, and now you're denying the hypothetical rather than acknowledging the truth of it. If you starve an electric motor of power it will burn out the windings. This isn't a difficult concept, for most.

I really don't want to run out and buy/rent a hammer drill...do you think 4 holes of ~2.5" deep each is too much for a battery-powered reg drill to handle?

But they're meant for amateur home users that might need to drill like one hole a year

My bad...I didn't realise that everyone here asking "how to drill a hole" were professionals.

And your literacy seems to be as impaired as your knowledge of power tools, so I'll clarify something you've missed.

Neat...when you're argument is so poor, you attack literacy...you're cool!

Simuls clearly mentioned a hypothetical situation where the drill is starved of power, which would cause the drill to burn out. You told him that wasn't true, I corrected you

You may have tried to correct me, but only revealed your lack of knowledge of a basic electrical principle.

If you starve an electric motor of power it will burn out the windings. This isn't a difficult concept, for most.

Uh, no, it won't....If you 'starve 'a device of power (how do you plan on doing this anyway?) The drvice doesn't operate ot full power, if at all. Based on your wacked out theory, dimmer switches would cause lamps to burn out every time.

Perhaps you should google or wiki this stuff, you clearly don't understand these things....basic as they are, why continue to embarrass yourself?

Last edited:
Care to tell me where the electric motor in a light circuit is? I've only put in a few hundred of them so I guess I must not have noticed it yet.

And it's easy to starve a tool. Too light an extension cord for one. Lots of people think they're coming out ahead by buying the cheaper cord, not realizing they're putting extra strain on their tools.

I really don't want to run out and buy/rent a hammer drill...do you think 4 holes of ~2.5" deep each is too much for a battery-powered reg drill to handle?

I was drilling along fine but w/ 0.5" left, I guess I hit a rock or something really hard and my reg drill just won't go any further. Guess I'll have to run out and grab a hammer drill now.

I was drilling along fine but w/ 0.5" left, I guess I hit a rock or something really hard and my reg drill just won't go any further. Guess I'll have to run out and grab a hammer drill now.

ONfence;
in our condo the walls and the metal studs are only about 2 1/2'thick (inside walls). Becareful you don't go through the drywall on the other side.
Obviously that is not what you hit if it was hard. Are you drilling towards an outside wall?

Could be rebar

ONfence;
in our condo the walls and the metal studs are only about 2 1/2'thick (inside walls). Becareful you don't go through the drywall on the other side.
Obviously that is not what you hit if it was hard. Are you drilling towards an outside wall?

Actually, I tried again and it went through, so luckily don't have to buy a hammer drill afterall. In my condo I have concrete walls.

Could be rebar

I hope not. So far so good w/ the drilling. The only thing holding me back is that I constantly need to recharge the drill's battery.

Last edited:
Help with new prb

I managed to successfully drill the 4 holes into the wall w/ just a regular drill+masonry bit. However, the holes were TOO BIG for the plastic anchors that came w/ the wall mount kit! (I followed the instructions to the letter in terms of bit diameter.) As such, when I try to screw the bolt into the plastic anchor, since the anchor is NOT *anchored* into the wall, it is just free-floating and spinning along w/ the bolt, meaning the bolt cannot get into wall.

Do you guys have a solution? Thx.

I managed to successfully drill the 4 holes into the wall w/ just a regular drill+masonry bit. However, the holes were TOO BIG for the plastic anchors that came w/ the wall mount kit! (I followed the instructions to the letter in terms of bit diameter.) As such, when I try to screw the bolt into the plastic anchor, since the anchor is NOT *anchored* into the wall, it is just free-floating and spinning along w/ the bolt, meaning the bolt cannot get into wall.

Do you guys have a solution? Thx.

Two possibilities. One, get a larger anchor. Two, "cement" the screw and anchor into the hole (wait till the cement cures before putting weight on it). Sometimes when an anchor or screw gets pulled out of its hole, I use toothpicks to fill up the hole as a makeshift anchor.

Back