News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

^Thx. The mount itself is quite good and can accommodate my TV's size and weight, it's just the lousy metal studded wall that I'm concerned about because that particular mount is not recommended for such wall...so I guess I'll have to buy another mount now. For the wires, I'm just going to use the trough system and not make any more holes in the wall.

^Thx. The mount itself is quite good and can accommodate my TV's size and weight, it's just the lousy metal studded wall that I'm concerned about because that particular mount is not recommended for such wall...so I guess I'll have to buy another mount now. For the wires, I'm just going to use the trough system and not make any more holes in the wall.

Fair enough. I did that for the lights around the couch and it looked good. However, it would be cleaner (though more expensive and time consuming) to bury the cable and electrical wires.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the metal stud thing. It's not as bad as it may seem. Together as a wall it's quite strong. It is holding up all that (heavy) drywall after all. It's like a egg. From one side it's fragile, from the other side it's very strong. Once the wall is built, it's not going anywhere. If you can catch 2 studs, combined with some toggle bolts in the drywall area it will be absolutely solid. Even with only one stud it will probably be pretty good.

I just contacted the builder and he said that the wall in question is "...a concrete shear wall with 13mm gypsum board on both sides...": does that basically mean I'm dealing w/ an actual, thick concrete wall w/ a 13mm drywall on top? If so, that would be awesome and I could use my existing mount but need to buy a hammer drill.

I just contacted the builder and he said that the wall in question is "...a concrete shear wall with 13mm gypsum board on both sides...": does that basically mean I'm dealing w/ an actual, thick concrete wall w/ a 13mm drywall on top? If so, that would be awesome and I could use my existing mount but need to buy a hammer drill.

Sure sounds like it..
So I'm guessing this is a wall between your suite and your neighbour?

I am curious, I've got such a wall for my condo, and I'm planning on drilling holes (not for a TV but for some relatively light-weight shelving) however I'm under the impression that a regular non-hammer drill will suffice. Is that not the case? Isn't the 13mm of drywall sufficient for a small screw in a small anchor?

(sorry, this isn't related to your TV issue at all, I'm just asking because it seems like you might have tried drilling your wall already)

Why not just buy another sheet or two or three of drywall or plywood to double or triple up the wall thickness, then mount your tv on there? Of course, I don't own a tv, so I find it all kind of pointless.:) (If I have your problem, I'd just buy a projector.)

One piece of the TV-mounting-on-the-wall project some people forget about are the wires. If done right, you can fish the cable, speaker wires, and electrical behind the drywall. Then you would have no wires visible. Of course, if you are new at this, you may want to attempt it before painting the walls.

mount.jpg

You may even create jacks or receptacles for the speakers, cable, and electricity.

Last edited:
I am curious, I've got such a wall for my condo, and I'm planning on drilling holes (not for a TV but for some relatively light-weight shelving) however I'm under the impression that a regular non-hammer drill will suffice. Is that not the case? Isn't the 13mm of drywall sufficient for a small screw in a small anchor?

(sorry, this isn't related to your TV issue at all, I'm just asking because it seems like you might have tried drilling your wall already)

I spoke with a Home Depot guy and he assured me that I could use a reg drill for the concrete bit.

Why not just buy another sheet or two or three of drywall or plywood to double or triple up the wall thickness, then mount your tv on there? Of course, I don't own a tv, so I find it all kind of pointless.:) (If I have your problem, I'd just buy a projector.)

Projector's too advanced for me, my 60" LED will keep me satisfied for now. :D

One piece of the TV-mounting-on-the-wall project some people forget about are the wires. If done right, you can fish the cable, speaker wires, and electrical behind the drywall. Then you would have no wires visible. Of course, if you are new at this, you may want to attempt it before painting the walls.

mount.jpg

You may even create jacks or receptacles for the speakers, cable, and electricity.

Thx for the suggestion; I don't mind just using the trough system as I'm not concerned about the illusion of a floating TV.

A non-hammer drill will NOT work on concrete. Most drills however come with the hammer function already built in.

A non-hammer drill will NOT work on concrete. Most drills however come with the hammer function already built in.

It will.. I've done it in a pinch.. as long as you've got a masonary bit it can be done.. it takes a long time though.. 15 minutes instead of 4 seconds with a decent hammer drill. But if you're stuck you can make it work.

It will.. I've done it in a pinch.. as long as you've got a masonary bit it can be done.. it takes a long time though.. 15 minutes instead of 4 seconds with a decent hammer drill. But if you're stuck you can make it work.

That's a quick way to wear out your drill. :)

Back