News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

the only real benefit I know ICTS have over LRT is that they can run driverless but Im not sure TTC Union would like that.
Me personally they also use 3rd rail technology which I personally feel is more artiscally appealing. (no messy wires hang around)

the only real benefit I know ICTS have over LRT is that they can run driverless but Im not sure TTC Union would like that.

Eglinton LRT is designed to run driverless in the tunnel. Also, TTC is slowly moving towards automating the Yonge subway.

Me personally they also use 3rd rail technology which I personally feel is more artiscally appealing. (no messy wires hang around)

Third rail is also much more prone to electrocuting people, starting garbage fires, and freezing over in winter.

This has to do with the signaling system NOT the vehicle size or type. Any guided vehicle can be run driverless using the exact same signaling system TTC is installing in the subway system. In fact, Eglinton was expected to use this signaling system for the tunnel portion. Potentially, the driver could go from a tram arriving into the tunnel portion to a tram departing the tunnel portion. I say "was" because who knows what will actually occur now.

Of course, for safety reasons (Vancouver's system tends to drag passengers a long way if they get caught), there will always be a driver in TTC vehicles.

Last edited:
There have not been any statements from Metrolinx about ICTS (officially or unofficially) during this whole post-Transit City process. I think it's a bit to early to assume that Metrolinx wants to cancel their already placed LRV order for an alternate technology with no real benefits and a terrible reputation in Toronto.

There have not been any statements from Metrolinx about ICTS (officially or unofficially) during this whole post-Transit City process. I think it's a bit to early to assume that Metrolinx wants to cancel their already placed LRV order for an alternate technology with no real benefits and a terrible reputation in Toronto.
True but Metrolinx is known to be dragging their feet when it comes to LRT technology and I'm sure their waiting for the best opportunity to opt-out of it. In retrospect I’m pretty sure that if ROB FORD was in power about 2 years ago, the LRT proposal along Eglinton wouldn’t even exist today. ROB FORD would easily have been sold on the RTP original proposal that saw subway to (light subway aka Skytrain) implemented on Eglinton. . LRT only survived on Eglinton because Miller and Giambroune had to fight over backwards to convince Metrolinx that the TTC 's choice in technology was the more feasible solution for the corridor. Aren’t any of you curious why Metrolinx never published their BCA for the Eglinton corridor. That was supposed to be open to the public almost 2 years ago.

Anyway now
that these two advocates are gone and we have a mayor that only wants subways. I'm sure Metrolinx and ROB FORD will come with a compromised solution.....and to me the only real solution would be Skytrain technology.

True but Metrolinx is known to be dragging their feet when it comes to LRT technology and I'm sure their waiting for the best opportunity to opt-out of it.
How do you reconcile your statement with Metrolinx's decision to tender for vehicles for MORE than the Sheppard line? If they were foot dragging, surely they would have delayed signing contracts until later.

How do you reconcile your statement with Metrolinx's decision to tender for vehicles for MORE than the Sheppard line? If they were foot dragging, surely they would have delayed signing contracts until later.

When were these contracts signed? If they were before September or so, I would guess that it was because before then, no one really saw Ford winning the election. Their timetable was set, they wanted to stick to it. I guess they saw Smitherman as a pretty safe bet in terms of keeping the Eglinton LRT as-is, so they went ahead with it.

SkyTrain can be completely driver less, the vehicles last longer than LRT, they are easier to build than elevated LRT due to not having to install the overhead wires, they have faster pick up speeds than either automated subway or LRT.
As far as safety, SkyTrain has proven itself to be a very safe system with not so much as a fender bender in it's 26 years. One must also remember that Metrolinx has the LRT contract to finish and I think they would be more than willing to transfer that contract over to equivalent funding to SkyTrain MK11 cars. This is because Bombardier has been really pushing SkyTrain technology and this would further enhance it's NA presence outside of Vancouver.
The SRT is just a spur line while this can be touted as yet another city using it as a main trunk line. The vehicle garage , although, probably will need expanding, is already there as is the operating station. I think Torontonians would be very impressed with the system and the new MK11 cars which are very nice. SkyTrain also has sharper turning radius and incline capabilities than either subway or LRT.
Also extending the Skytrain down Eglin ton would also save a shit load of money. Not only is it cheaper than subway but more importantly it will not require the destruction of a line and then spending a $1 billion to replace it. That's money that Toronto doesn't have and improving the Kennedy station, adding heating mechanisms to the current line, improving the SRT to handle MK11s, and 50 MK11 cars, would cost, at most, $400 million.
At $200,000,000 per km that would pay for 3 km of line. This is to say nothing of the fact that it would be faster to build, have a smaller footprint that at grade LRT, and would not require the SRT to be shut down for 3 years to turn the SRT into subway.
Remember kids, Toronto needs to EXPAND it's mass/rapid transit system and ripping down a line just to build another one doesn't increase the length of the system by one foot. By doing the Pearson/Eglinton/STC line it would mean that the Bloor/Danforth could eventually be extended further east without a transfer as it was originally designed to do.
McQuinty will, and rightfully so, be livid when he has to spend $100,000,000 to cancel an LRT contract. I think if there is one chance that Bombardier waves that cost it will be for SkyTrain to raise it's NA profile. I could see them doing it for SkyTrain but quite frankly not subway.

Did they really have a choice after all Sheppard LRT line was funded partially by the federal government? I don’t think so. The time period it took them to actually purchase the vehicles were quite long. Of course they would have to purchase the vehicle if the line is funded. Sometime I find it hard to understand Metrolinx relevancy if any. And like I said earlier in the beginning Metrolinx was not a huge fan of the technology. Their plan didn’t even indicate the type of technology that would be used on each line. They may have not hated the technology but like I said they certainly dragged their feet on it. You have to admit things could been done a lot quicker.

SkyTrain can be completely driver less, the vehicles last longer than LRT, they are easier to build than elevated LRT due to not having to install the overhead wires, they have faster pick up speeds than either automated subway or LRT.
As far as safety, SkyTrain has proven itself to be a very safe system with not so much as a fender bender in it's 26 years. One must also remember that Metrolinx has the LRT contract to finish and I think they would be more than willing to transfer that contract over to equivalent funding to SkyTrain MK11 cars. This is because Bombardier has been really pushing SkyTrain technology and this would further enhance it's NA presence outside of Vancouver.
The SRT is just a spur line while this can be touted as yet another city using it as a main trunk line. The vehicle garage , although, probably will need expanding, is already there as is the operating station. I think Torontonians would be very impressed with the system and the new MK11 cars which are very nice. SkyTrain also has sharper turning radius and incline capabilities than either subway or LRT.
Also extending the Skytrain down Eglin ton would also save a shit load of money. Not only is it cheaper than subway but more importantly it will not require the destruction of a line and then spending a $1 billion to replace it. That's money that Toronto doesn't have and improving the Kennedy station, adding heating mechanisms to the current line, improving the SRT to handle MK11s, and 50 MK11 cars, would cost, at most, $400 million.
At $200,000,000 per km that would pay for 3 km of line. This is to say nothing of the fact that it would be faster to build, have a smaller footprint that at grade LRT, and would not require the SRT to be shut down for 3 years to turn the SRT into subway.
Remember kids, Toronto needs to EXPAND it's mass/rapid transit system and ripping down a line just to build another one doesn't increase the length of the system by one foot. By doing the Pearson/Eglinton/STC line it would mean that the Bloor/Danforth could eventually be extended further east without a transfer as it was originally designed to do.
McQuinty will, and rightfully so, be livid when he has to spend $100,000,000 to cancel an LRT contract. I think if there is one chance that Bombardier waves that cost it will be for SkyTrain to raise it's NA profile. I could see them doing it for SkyTrain but quite frankly not subway.

Excellent arguments there.

Reinvest to rebuild Kennedy station and combine the SRT with Eglinton using Mark II Trains.
They could use the opportunity to make the trasfer with the Kennedy GO Station more practical

This new line could be extended into Malvern as planned in the future when funds are available (hoping the city will have found alternative mode of financing by then)

The Canada line in Vancouver is very esthetic and I heard it was quieter than the previous model.

There would be potential for an eastern extension of the Bloor-Danforth line farther east to Kingston Road with stops at

-Midland (Eglinton East Station)
-Brimley Station
-Eglinton Go Station (Bellamy Station)
-Kingston Station

Last edited:
Did they really have a choice after all Sheppard LRT line was funded partially by the federal government? I don’t think so. The time period it took them to actually purchase the vehicles were quite long. Of course they would have to purchase the vehicle if the line is funded. Sometime I find it hard to understand Metrolinx relevancy if any. And like I said earlier in the beginning Metrolinx was not a huge fan of the technology. Their plan didn’t even indicate the type of technology that would be used on each line. They may have not hated the technology but like I said they certainly dragged their feet on it. You have to admit things could been done a lot quicker.

As long as the city keeps Bombardier to build trains, the penalty fee could easily be negociated or waived in exchange of a new contract. They would just modify the order and not cancel it.

Metrolinx bought the vehicles for Eglinton to help ensure that the current plan didn't get changed. If they really had the fix in for ICTS, they would have held off.

Sheppard vehicles needed to be bought because the line was ready to go, but the other lines didn't need orders to be placed for several years.

As for the overall speed of things, I don't see any delays being caused by Metrolinx. Can you point out where Metrolinx caused any delays to implementzation?

The only way things could have been done quicker is if we decided to ignore EA legislation and even the pretense of public consultation.

Excellent arguments there.

Reinvest to rebuild Kennedy station and combine the SRT with Eglinton using Mark II Trains.
They could use the opportunity to make the trasfer with the Kennedy GO Station more practical

This new line could be extended into Malvern as planned in the future when funds are available (hoping the city will have found alternative mode of financing by then)

The Canada line in Vancouver is very esthetic and I heard it was quieter than the previous model.

There would be potential for an eastern extension of the Bloor-Danforth line farther east to Kingston Road with stops at

-Midland (Eglinton East Station)
-Brimley Station
-Eglinton Go Station (Bellamy Station)
-Kingston Station

That would certainly make more sense to have the BD extend onlong eglinton to Kingston. This way we have rapid transit in southern scarborough and northern scarborough. As oppose to just rapid transit in northern scarboroug. an extended SRT to Malvern and a BD extenssion would to wounders to Scarborough residents. It would also get rid of alot of bus interling that is currently seen on Eglinton East. Im talking about the 116 buse, all the 86 buses, and the 34.

Back