In my opinion, this project is the biggest disappointment in the downtown area. I had high hopes, but it looks nothing like the rendering.

Its unlikely that those balconies will be painted. Even the suites are coming with the raw underside slab finish as a "standard". Smooth drywall ceilings are an upgrade in this building.

what is this, Shanghai? And I'll echo the comments of a couple others... this building is a huge let down except for the podium facing King St.

what is this, Shanghai? And I'll echo the comments of a couple others... this building is a huge let down except for the podium facing King St.

A term for a Toronto architectural underachievement, - " M5V'ed ". The term would have some legs in Toronto judging by the built form of some recent banalities.

Gimme a break!! Photograph a few highrises looking up at the balconies and I daresay it will not be a flattering shot, especially when the concrete is new and has not
lightened as it ages/or is exposed to sunlight. Methinks you protest too much....:) And dare I say it?? I like the building.....

+1 sunlover,

The rest of you go bloviate somewhere else.

Did M5V turn out exactly like the renders promised? Of course not (Aside from Quay West which had a single, abysmal drawing, which building in recent memory has?). It seems to me however, that enough of the original concept was translated into reality that it's hardly worth splitting hairs over what wasn't included. The coloured glass on the podium and north-elevation of the tower and the red mechanical box are far more daring features than many would admit, much less give credit for. But then for a couple of amateur, internet-terminal humping, skyscraper geeks to limply try and coin the phrase "M5Ved" (By the way genius, it would only be a single 'd,' not a full 'ed'), much less complain that this is the "biggest disappointment in the downtown area" just seems like more of the same ninnyhammer BS we have to trudge through every day. Grow up and use your words children.

I agree wholeheartedly......lately the tone of the forum has turned negative.....why?
This building is just as good as the vast majority of what went up during the current boom.....listening to the constant complaining from some of the armchair quarterbacks here has gotten to be just a joke...

I agree wholeheartedly......lately the tone of the forum has turned negative.....why?
This building is just as good as the vast majority of what went up during the current boom.....listening to the constant complaining from some of the armchair quarterbacks here has gotten to be just a joke...

I also agree! The point of a forum is to educate, enlighten and discuss. Can we evolve to a higher purpose other than mindless, groundless, soul sucking negativity?
It doesn't have to be constant praise and saccharine accolades, just a fair and balanced discussion with a modicum of knowledge....:)

I read a number of the balcony painting pleas as somewhat jokey - take note of the over-the-top phrasing - albeit with a kernel of truth to them.

There is no reason why members should not be able to express their wish that the balconies be painted.

I think this building may have held a special place in some people's heart :)

To be honest based on some of the earlier renderings it has the potential to be amazing. At the end of the day I think it's a good project, but that's about it.

There's one important point I'd like to make though, this building does NOT photograph well in just about any lighting condition - from up close and in person it's actually quite striking - the colors are clear and that's what sets it apart. From farther away it doesn't add or subtract much to the overall skyline/

+1 sunlover,

The rest of you go bloviate somewhere else.

Did M5V turn out exactly like the renders promised? Of course not (Aside from Quay West which had a single, abysmal drawing, which building in recent memory has?). It seems to me however, that enough of the original concept was translated into reality that it's hardly worth splitting hairs over what wasn't included. The coloured glass on the podium and north-elevation of the tower and the red mechanical box are far more daring features than many would admit, much less give credit for. But then for a couple of amateur, internet-terminal humping, skyscraper geeks to limply try and coin the phrase "M5Ved" (By the way genius, it would only be a single 'd,' not a full 'ed'), much less complain that this is the "biggest disappointment in the downtown area" just seems like more of the same ninnyhammer BS we have to trudge through every day. Grow up and use your words children.

Thanks for the spelling lesson. I think I'll change that to M5Veed, if you don't mind.

Regarding the balconies. Yes, from underneath they do not look great. I feel this might be because the concrete needs to properly set and dry. It will hopefully look more uniform in the summer. Also, all condos with concrete balconies have that raw concrete unfinished look. Can anybody on here name a condo that has painted balconies?
The building design has been somewhat compromised from the original renderings but not to the point it is unrecognizable. I am sure when the building is complete it will be a sharp looking condo. I look forward to seeing it complete this summer.

Regarding the balconies. Yes, from underneath they do not look great. I feel this might be because the concrete needs to properly set and dry. It will hopefully look more uniform in the summer. Also, all condos with concrete balconies have that raw concrete unfinished look. Can anybody on here name a condo that has painted balconies?
Yes. Context has painted the balconies of some of their buildings. Spire, for example.

The concrete will look better when it dries, but raw concrete doesn't age well. The concrete will absorb all sorts of pollutants every time it's exposed to rain. Won't look good over time if it's not sealed/painted.

Back