what is this, Shanghai? And I'll echo the comments of a couple others... this building is a huge let down except for the podium facing King St.

I have to agree. The design renders suggested a little more colour to this building - which has apparently been greatly subdued. As a once interesting design element, the protruding red "box" is severely diminished by the added residence on top. The Podium on King still has some promise, but I'm reserving my opinion until its finished.

Regarding the balconies. Yes, from underneath they do not look great ... all condos with concrete balconies have that raw concrete unfinished look. Can anybody on here name a condo that has painted balconies?

Actually quite the contrarary... most new condos have painted balconies rather than exposed concrete, recent examples include: Casa, BSN, X, Solaris, Legacy, Aria, WestHarbourCity, Neptune, Rêve, Murano, WideSuites ~

+1 sunlover,

The rest of you go bloviate somewhere else.

Did M5V turn out exactly like the renders promised? Of course not (Aside from Quay West which had a single, abysmal drawing, which building in recent memory has?). It seems to me however, that enough of the original concept was translated into reality that it's hardly worth splitting hairs over what wasn't included. The coloured glass on the podium and north-elevation of the tower and the red mechanical box are far more daring features than many would admit, much less give credit for. But then for a couple of amateur, internet-terminal humping, skyscraper geeks to limply try and coin the phrase "M5Ved" (By the way genius, it would only be a single 'd,' not a full 'ed'), much less complain that this is the "biggest disappointment in the downtown area" just seems like more of the same ninnyhammer BS we have to trudge through every day. Grow up and use your words children.

When a post starts off with, "The rest of you go bloviate somewhere else," you know you're in for some extreme bloviating - not to mention name-calling, with a measured dose of hypocrisy (implying that other members are behaving childishly, for example).

Sure, everyone's entitled to their opinion, but don't posts of this nature cross the line? To me, they engender disrespect, and I'm aghast that this comment hasn't been deleted.

Last edited:
For the record...

...I agree that the underside of those balconies are begging for a nice coat of paint. Otherwise, I think the project is decent.

~ Shudder ~

Painted concrete, apart from being a maintenance nightmare, is an aesthetic disaster. The natural tonal variation of real concrete vs. peeling beige paint? I will take the imperfections of real concrete thanks.

Presumably the exorbitant condo fees in new buildings go towards maintenance and upkeep of the paint, among other things.

The building looks pretty good in real life, agreed with observations here it does not photograph well. This area has a nice dense urban feel setting in, and m5v though not necessarily a shining star, is a pretty decent background building.

Just got a call from M5V and wanted to post a quick update. The tentative occupancy date for the lower floors is still June 24th - I'm in the 7th floor and still scheduled for an August occupancy. Also, they have informed me of issues they're having with the concrete not turning out even in the units as well. They've offered us two options:

(1) Paint it white at no charge.
(2) Finish the ceiling at a cost of $500 (apparently they normally charge ($3-4k)

Just wanted to get people's opinion as to what are the pros & cons of the options.

Just got a call from M5V and wanted to post a quick update. The tentative occupancy date for the lower floors is still June 24th - I'm in the 7th floor and still scheduled for an August occupancy. Also, they have informed me of issues they're having with the concrete not turning out even in the units as well. They've offered us two options:

(1) Paint it white at no charge.
(2) Finish the ceiling at a cost of $500 (apparently they normally charge ($3-4k)

Just wanted to get people's opinion as to what are the pros & cons of the options.

I always chuckle when people try to use "exposed concrete" ceilings/pillars/whatever as a selling point. Why would anyone want that? It feels like you're living in a warehouse or something.

I always chuckle when people try to use "exposed concrete" ceilings/pillars/whatever as a selling point. Why would anyone want that? It feels like you're living in a warehouse or something.

People like that warehouse look.

Yeah, the "loft" look has been in vogue for about 30 years. Minimalist, industrial chic. Pick up pretty much any modern/contemporary design magazine and flip through. Dwell is a good one.

Of course, most people end up furnishing these places with things like shellback sofas from Leon's.

Last edited:
Most of the high end lofts in NYC and Europe come with concrete ceilings painted in white, why the exposed concrete ceiling is so popular in downtown Toronto? is it really a design trend or the builders are just cheap?

Most of the high end lofts in NYC and Europe come with concrete ceilings painted in white, why the exposed concrete ceiling is so popular in downtown Toronto? is it really a design trend or the builders are just cheap?

I was originally exclusively looking for a condo with exposed concrete ceilings, and possibly a wall or two of exposed concrete back when looking for a place. I love the look. Unfortunately, all the spaces I saw were too small or had horrible layouts. Purchased a typical drywall covered condo.

Back