Most of the high end lofts in NYC and Europe come with concrete ceilings painted in white, why the exposed concrete ceiling is so popular in downtown Toronto? is it really a design trend or the builders are just cheap?

I'll go with "cheap". I think that's why more developers are building lofts. They're cheaper to build. No drywall, no wasted time on bulkheads, you can have rough workmanship and call it "custom" LOL.

I personally like the look of cement ceilings with contrasting white walls. I wonder when builders will start adding brick walls to soft lofts.

http://media.dwell.com/images/614*643/blauvelt-winter-residence-extended-study.jpg

Last edited:
I just got an email from the Design Team at M5V

Hi –

We are writing to provide you with two options for your exposed concrete ceilings:
1. Plastering and painting your standard exposed concrete ceilings for $500.00. Payment for the finished ceilings will be included on your closing costs
2. Painting your standard exposed concrete ceilings white at no charge.

Please feel free to call me at 416-510-8181x232 to discuss the ceiling options.

Best,

-Tammy

Hmmm.. Are they finding that the exposed concrete ceilings are not looking as good as they thought it would. Funny that we get this email while this has been a topic of conversation in this thread lately.

I'd get a pressed tin ceiling!

Pressed-Tin-Ceiling.jpg
Nice way to add value and stand out from the crowd...

Last edited:
Zeeden, any chance you're on the 7th floor? I'm wondering if this is just isolated to the floor or if it's a wide spread issue.

Urbandreamer, any idea how much it costs for tin ceilings? Maybe we'll go for tin ceilings for our den.

Jay: We're on the 18th floor. So I don't think its an isolated issue.

2s16g04.jpg

2ppg0h2.jpg

I can't believe we were going to get the first picture. I feel sorry for those who bought from Urbancorp (Westside Lofts). At least this builder is owning up to their misjudgments.

So they want $500 to cover up the incredibly shoddy workmanship they've produced. That's like buying a new car and when the engine falls out, they ask for $500 to fix it. This should be free along with a letter that profusely apologizes for their mistakes.

So they want $500 to cover up the incredibly shoddy workmanship they've produced. That's like buying a new car and when the engine falls out, they ask for $500 to fix it. This should be free along with a letter that profusely apologizes for their mistakes.

I agree. They screwed up, they should pay for it. I wonder how bad the bare concrete ceilings look.

That cement pillar looks weird with white walls and a white ceiling.

I've been told recently that Lifetime has a reputation for being shoddy and amateurish. It seems odd that they'd only come to purchasers with this option now.

Last edited:
I'm gonna have fun trying to get them to give it for free. I don't have the contract in front of me but I'm sure it says we're getting exposed concrete and that's what they will give us if we don't want to pay the extra $500.

I honestly rather pay $500 for smooth ceilings than have popcorn ceilings. Some builders charge $2000 - $4000 for smooth ceilings as an upgrade for a 800 sqft condo.

I have to agree though, the exposed concrete is pretty amateurish. At least it could have been smooth.

Last edited:
I am on the 7th floor and have heard nothing in regards to ceilings. This leads me to believe that several units have this problem and those owners are being contacted with a solution at a discount. Please keep us updated. I certainly would NOT choose the white painted option. Looks like shit. Exposed uneven concrete would look way better and organic.

I used to like exposed concrete ceilings when lofts were popular.
It wasn't until I lived in a loft with exposed ceilings that I realized that they were more of a nusance.
Eventhough my ceilings were nice and smooth they were constantly giving off concrete dust. I have vacuumed and washed them down but the problem still persisted so I learned to live with dusting my place constantly.
The builder offered to seal the ceiling to a couple homeowners who had asthma issues, but otherwise said that the dust was normal and didn't seal nor paint the ceilings to the other homeowners who complained.

I bought a condo at Ideal Lofts and I actually paid a few hundred dollars more for exposed concrete ceilings. I had to sign a waiver that I was aware that imperfections in the concrete may occur. Context did an excellent job in the concrete ceilings -- very smooth with no noticeable formwork seams. There were some faint florescent orange spray painted lines, symbols and letters in the ceiling which could be easily sanded off, but I left it as is as it did look kind of cool.

Smooth plaster ceilings are the way to go. They look more finished and refined, especially in an upscale condo. It's also a must for condos which do not get get a lot of natural light, as the concrete ceilings really make the space apprear darker.

Although taking a second look, I'm starting to like the basic painted white look--each rough line showing where the fly tables were is like an art piece showing off how the building was built.

You could always have a wood ceiling installed in some rooms, keeping the basic white for the living area or kitchen.

I really do not mind the concrete painted white as long as it is properly done. I have seen places where it looks great

I've seen polished concrete ceilings (in Context buildings -- yes, they do a great job smoothing it out perfectly like a concrete countertop). I think that would eliminate dust, no?

It's also a bit of a rook to show a picture of a completed unit with the finished ceiling next to its 'equivalent' with exposed drywall and aluminum framing.

Back