Hmmm.. I wonder if my architectural aluminum louvres have gone up yet. :D

Four years later....17 Sept 2011:

072yj.jpg

Images from Sept 24th.

I was walking through the area over the weekend and ran into Peter Freed who was inspecting the installation of the new glass railings and wood paneling over the terraces. Here are some pics of what I saw. 1/2 inch glass (if I remember correctly), and he mentioned that they should be left like that for a seamless look, no steel railing capping them over the top edge.

6192735738_1176059685_z.jpg

6192736338_2309ec9c3d_z.jpg

6192221109_a528fa2079_z.jpg

6192740466_74d36ce363_z.jpg

6192739194_a5d36a0b80_z.jpg

6192223053_17ede5be14_z.jpg

6192738448_993d891506_z.jpg

I like the wood paneling under the balconies. A first for me to even see this as an option. Looks great.

Asked Freed about the wood panelling actually. I too thought it was a refreshing option to see. He said he was over with exposed concrete, and a small building like this allowed him to focus on the finer details. Maybe a sign of more to come?

I love the wood siding for the ceilings and the frameless balcony glass. It's a great look.
I am assuming the concrete columns have a polished finish, hense the protective wrap.
The upscale finishes and details are emerging.

Wow. What a difference focus on a couple of details can make! Putting in a wood soffit is actually a fairly cheap thing to do, but it makes this project look so much more elegant.

love the wood paneling underline!! it doesnt cost much, but looks dramatically different, in a good way

Its not exactly cheap to apply the wood on the underside of the balconies (ceiling) - they are probably still using in the neighbourhood of 2000 sq. feet of it - but I guess in the grand scheme of things, its relatively cheap. This is turning out to be a great addition to Wellington. I hope its neighbour can live up to the new bar that has been set.

p5

Great infill. Wood panelling is an inspired touch. So rare and refreshing to have a developer who actually cares about the aesthetics of his finished product, rather than just the bottom line.

Great infill. Wood panelling is an inspired touch. So rare and refreshing to have a developer who actually cares about the aesthetics of his finished product, rather than just the bottom line.

Yes, Freed deserves praise and respect for looking after such details in the execution of his projects.

Yes, Freed deserves praise and respect for looking after such details in the execution of his projects.

I think you should reserve judgement until the actual suite owners see their multi-million dollar investments. Owners report at 75 Portland a considerable lack of detail and quality.

The credit Freed deserves for 500 Wellington is to build a luxury building in the first place - that was risky. As for giving praise for some wood panelling, the whole unit better have more of this sort of detail for suites worth $2M. You can't compare this building to your average cookie cutter building as there is a much different minimum standard.

S'Bus

I think you should reserve judgement until the actual suite owners see their multi-million dollar investments. Owners report at 75 Portland a considerable lack of detail and quality.

The credit Freed deserves for 500 Wellington is to build a luxury building in the first place - that was risky. As for giving praise for some wood panelling, the whole unit better have more of this sort of detail for suites worth $2M. You can't compare this building to your average cookie cutter building as there is a much different minimum standard.

S'Bus

Who cares ? Since when do we care about what goes on the side of a building. Case closed, we have our selves an amazing infill development, probably the best of the last decade.

Back