News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Probably so that they can ensure that it will be on time out of Oshawa. If it was in service, it would take 62 minutes to make the run - as a deadhead, it it timetabled for 54.

62 minutes assumes it is a local service. Express trains are scheduled for 47 minutes, which is surprisingly even faster than the deadhead.

62 minutes assumes it is a local service. Express trains are scheduled for 47 minutes, which is surprisingly even faster than the deadhead.

Is there really that much demand for a counter-flow express train though? For a counter-flow train, I would think you would want to make it as accessible as possible, seeing as how there won't be very many of them. Now having said that, I don't really see a high demand for satisfying a Guildwood -> Oshawa trip pattern though.

Correct, but the schedule times don't include the 10 to 12 minutes required to change ends. The deadhead time does, and also takes into account the traffic at that particular time of the day. Some other trips take less.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Does GO Transit have plans to implement automated announcements on its train and bus fleets? If so, when will they start doing this?

From what I understand, the new OHRC regulations require transit agencies to implement/or be in the process of implementing automated audio/visual announcements by 2017(?). Not just next stop information aboard the bus/train, but also announcing the route and destination through speaker(s) on the exterior when the vehicle stops at a station/stop.

I haven't looked into much, but I thought that OHRC required that announcement be made; not necessarily be automated. TTC's (and other agencies') issue was that it's difficult for the one person who is driving the vehicle, to be making timely and accurate announcements every 30 seconds - hence the automation.

I've NEVER noticed a lack of GO announcements, so I don't see why automation would be necessary. In fact, I've noticed more occurrences when the TTC's automatic announcements have failed (works 99% of the time, but I've seen failures) than I have seen a lack of GO announcements (which I've never witnessed ... but surely it must happen from time-to-time).

I haven't looked into much, but I thought that OHRC required that announcement be made; not necessarily be automated. TTC's (and other agencies') issue was that it's difficult for the one person who is driving the vehicle, to be making timely and accurate announcements every 30 seconds - hence the automation.

I've NEVER noticed a lack of GO announcements, so I don't see why automation would be necessary. In fact, I've noticed more occurrences when the TTC's automatic announcements have failed (works 99% of the time, but I've seen failures) than I have seen a lack of GO announcements (which I've never witnessed ... but surely it must happen from time-to-time).

99% on trains, I agree, what about GO buses though? I rarely hear the GO bus drivers call out each stop.

Last edited:
99% on trains, I agree, what about GO buses though? I rarely hear the GO bus drivers call out each stop.
Fair question; I seldom use buses. I was only thinking of trains.

And the real problem with the current manual on-board GO train announcements is, how are deaf people supposed to hear them?
On a bus that stops every 30 seconds, I can see why you might want visual indication of upcoming stops. But on a train? Can't someone who is deaf just look out the window? The same way people have done it on trains for a hundred+ years before they put speakers in the cars?

I'm not sure how electronic=computerized. Surely a microphone and speaker system is electronic. It certainly does seem to require visual indication. Hopefully the province will be coming up with the money to do this.

Fair question; I seldom use buses. I was only thinking of trains.

On a bus that stops every 30 seconds, I can see why you might want visual indication of upcoming stops. But on a train? Can't someone who is deaf just look out the window? The same way people have done it on trains for a hundred+ years before they put speakers in the cars?

I'm not sure how electronic=computerized. Surely a microphone and speaker system is electronic. It certainly does seem to require visual indication. Hopefully the province will be coming up with the money to do this.

I've also noticed that, at least up until recently, many of the stop announcements on the Lakeshore West line included service advisories about station construction, and which coach's doors would and wouldn't be opening at a certain station (it was Appleby first, and then Bronte). Doing this via a computerized system would be much more difficult, although I suppose they could do the computerized "the next station is" announcement first, and then have the human come on and make the detailed announcement about station construction.

I think a decent compromise, at least for now, would be to install a digital "next stop" sign in the accessibility coaches only. Given the limited number of stops on the system, having it programmed to simply flash "Next Station: Appleby", wouldn't be particularly difficult.

I also think that in this case, electronic means over the loud speakers, and not just the driver at the front of the bus yelling the next stop at the top of his lungs.

GO is in the process of procuring a Computer Aided Dispatch/Automatic Vehicle Location system that will include automated next stop announcements on all routes and vehicles. Expect to see them start popping up in the next 18 months.

GO is in the process of procuring a Computer Aided Dispatch/Automatic Vehicle Location system that will include automated next stop announcements on all routes and vehicles. Expect to see them start popping up in the next 18 months.
Interesting. :D

I found a page on GO Transit's website that supports this: Metrolinx Accessibility Plan 2011-2012.

See section 7.3.4, and in the table under: Compliance requirements - January 1, 2015. It states automated pre-boarding/on-board announcements (51b/52b).

This is great news, and the deadline given is a full two years ahead of the AODA deadline I stated in my earlier post.

Can't wait to see what the system will look like! Could this mean a move to bilingual announcements?

Last edited:
I found a page on GO Transit's website that supports this: Metrolinx Accessibility Plan 2011-2012.

See section 7.3.4, and in the table under: Compliance requirements - January 1, 2015. It states automated pre-boarding/on-board announcements (51b/52b).

This is great news, and the deadline given is a full two years ahead of the AODA deadline I stated in my earlier post.

Can't wait to see what the system will look like! Could this mean a move to bilingual announcements?

Please no. What, French is maybe the 17th most frequently-spoken language amongst GO Transit riders?

Back