News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I hope GO uses the location data for a next-bus type arrival time service. GO is fairly ontime, but it would still be nice to know when the train/bus will arrive, especially those times it's late. It would be especially convenient for people with smartphones if it was integrated into the GO app.

I hope GO uses the location data for a next-bus type arrival time service. GO is fairly ontime, but it would still be nice to know when the train/bus will arrive, especially those times it's late. It would be especially convenient for people with smartphones if it was integrated into the GO app.
Yes, I agree. When your running late, knowing that the train is 5 minutes late or not, makes all the difference between heading to the station anyway, or giving up and finding another mode.

Please no. What, French is maybe the 17th most frequently-spoken language amongst GO Transit riders?

On the City of Toronto website, French is listed the 10th or 11th most common mother tongue in the GTA, depending on how you count the Chinese languages.

1. English
2. Italian
3. Chinese, n.o.s.*
4. Cantonese
5. Portuguese
6. Punjabi
7. Spanish
8. Polish
9. Tagalog
10. Tamil
11. French
12. Urdu
13. Greek
14. Russian
15. Arabic

*Not otherwise specified, i.e., not specified as Cantonese, Mandarin or Hakka.

If we're doing bilingual signs, Chinese would be the obvious choice for the second language, since the dialects share a script. Most of the francophones in the GTA speak English just as well as the native speakers anyway.

In Richmond, BC and some parts of Vancouver, signs are trilingual: English, French, Chinese (in that order).

Last edited:
Come on, I said amongst GO Transit riders, and I said "spoken amongst" such people. I'd say the number of people who speak French would be below Arabic, but above Russian. Where's Hindi, Korean and Vietnamese?

There's also two Chinese scripts - traditional and simplified. There's a very distinct difference, though not mutually unintelligible.

The government is required to provided French-language services where numbers warrant. It isn't required to provide services in other languages.

But if they every start ... then they'll be pressured to add language after language. Where would it end?

If they need to add French, add it. And stop there.

Please no. What, French is maybe the 17th most frequently-spoken language amongst GO Transit riders?

Ottawa has bilingual announcements on buses, and I have to say, they are beyond annoying. All they say are things like "Merivale Road, Rue Merivale". Like the person couldn't figure out that one meant the other? Why not simplify it and just say "Merivale"? Even worse are the station stop announcements on the Transitway. Literally all they are are the words arranged slightly differently and spoken with a French accent. "Tunney's Pasture Station, Station Tunney's Pasture". Again, why not just say "Tunney's Pasture", and avoid the whole language thing?

Ottawa has bilingual announcements on buses, and I have to say, they are beyond annoying. All they say are things like "Merivale Road, Rue Merivale". Like the person couldn't figure out that one meant the other? Why not simplify it and just say "Merivale"? Even worse are the station stop announcements on the Transitway. Literally all they are are the words arranged slightly differently and spoken with a French accent. "Tunney's Pasture Station, Station Tunney's Pasture". Again, why not just say "Tunney's Pasture", and avoid the whole language thing?
That's what Ottawa's street signs do, at least on the large signs up next to traffic signals. You'd think OC Transpo would follow suit.

That's what Ottawa's street signs do, at least on the large signs up next to traffic signals. You'd think OC Transpo would follow suit.

Yes, but when you're reading street signs your eye is naturally drawn to the name of the street, not whether it's St, Ave, Dr, etc.

When you're hearing it in the form of an announcement, it's just irritating, especially when the only difference between what's being said in the two languages is the order of a couple words and a different accent.

If it were something important and relatively complex like "this route needs to be diverted", then yes, by all means, go bilingual. But if all you're really saying is the station name, it doesn't need to be bilingual.

For example, the way Berlin does it is perfect. Simple station announcements are only in German, while more complex announcements like "transfer here for the Circle Line" are spoken in both German and English. I don't speak very much German, but I had no problem understanding what station was next. If you're really confused, look up and read the display to see what station is next. If you're still confused, you should be walking around wearing a helmet at all times for your own safety.

The government is required to provided French-language services where numbers warrant. It isn't required to provide services in other languages.

But if they every start ... then they'll be pressured to add language after language. Where would it end?

If they need to add French, add it. And stop there.
I fully agree. When I asked whether bilingual announcements would be implemented, I meant French, and I only asked because I've noticed GO has already shifted to bilingual text on signs at stations, onboard buses and trains, and on timetables, and has also begun to use more pictograms instead of text.

We should be encouraging people to speak one of the two official languages (English or French), otherwise how will foreigners ever learn to speak them? This is why I disagree with having Chinese script on street signs in certain parts of Toronto, including Chinatown.

Last edited:
GO had their proverbial pee-pee smacked a number of years ago over signage, and how they only had english text on them - and that being an agency of the Province they needed to provide text in both of Canada's official languages. There doesn't seem to be a similar requirement for audible announcements.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That's good. Text, sure, I can certainly live with. There shouldn't be a need for Bombardier train crews to be bilingual, but there is sense in having a bilingual customer telephone service agent available at all times and translated publications.

I don't disagree with OC Transpo having French announcements, after all, French is the number 2 language spoken (and in some neighbourhoods, first language spoken, like Vanier and parts of Orleans) and Ottawa itself an officially bilingual city. It is funny though riding a local bus through Kanata (as Anglo as Ottawa's urban area gets) and hearing stop announcements repeated with badly French-accented street names. Just the stop name ought to be necessary.

Also, while we're still on the topic of bilingualism and pictograms, I've never understood why in Canada we couldn't just use what is pretty much the international standard for emergency exit signs:

Informationsskylt-N%c3%b6dutg%c3%a5ng-pil-h%c3%b6ger-300x150mm.jpg

Using this sign instead of the American style EXIT-signs would make sense in Canada, as it would satisfy both English and French, and would also be a sign already understood by many foreigners.

Last edited:
Also, while we're still on the topic of bilingualism and pictograms, I've never understood why in Canada we couldn't just use what is pretty much the international standard for emergency exit signs:

Using this sign instead of the American style EXIT-signs would make sense in Canada, as it would satisfy both English and French, and would also be a sign already understood by many foreigners.

Personally I find this kind of sign looks ridiculous. Let's stick with our EXIT signs.

The sign looks like it's showing someone fleeing the scene of crime. The fact that the criminal is not being depicted as a black guy is kind of refreshing though, especially considering the US and the racism there.

Had you not said anything, I would not have known that is an exit sign...

Back