News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

OK here's a challenge for all you Jarvis St afficianados ... The Blake House ...

... would anyone have early pictures of the Blake House at 449 Jarvis St. I've looked everywhere! I can't believe a house of this historical significance was not photographed many times once completed in 1891(?).
Thanks,
Stephen MacDonald

Then. 266 Jarvis Street. c1907. Victor Home for Young Women. Another wwwebster sourced picture.

230266Jarvisc1907.jpg

Now. April 2011.

231.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Then and Now for December 7, 2012.

Then. Church and Adelaide looking W along Adelaide. Aug. 8, 1911.

874churchandadelaide881911.jpg

Now. July 2012. I do believe the only building left over from 1911 is the building on the left of both pictures that presently houses the 'Terroni' restaurant. It was formerly the Adelaide Street Courthouse; built in 1851.

875.jpg

A lot of homes in this area are Toronto Community Housing corp owned. City houses bought up in advance of the Gardiner expressway build. When the easterly expansion was quashed, the city rented them out.

Thanks mattelderca. That explains a lot of what I've seen in this area. I used to live across from a TCHC home and the maintenance was always late or deferred forever.

More from my recent tour of the 'Beaches'

The Fox Cinema 1934 (opened in 1914)

Then-FoxCinema1934opened1914.jpg

The Fox Cinema, 2236 Queen St. E. ---- 2012

Now-FoxCinema2236QueenStE2012.jpg

What I find remarkable from early 20th century photos is that, evidently, almost as soon as electricity was introduced, the infrastructure for it appeared practically overnight. And then, for the next 100 years, it remained almost exactly the same.

Lower left hand corner, the house of Arthur Peuchen, who survived the sinking of the Titanic (http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/major-peuchens-predicament.html), seen below just prior to demolition:

Fascinating article, thecharioteer. The Titanic's Toronto connection through Major Peuchen made that monument-to-human-folly a fascinating local biographical aspect. By the way, one of the links to your link says that he lived at 105 Roxborough Dr. in his last years, which still exists.

The most recent book to come out is 'Titanic - First Accounts', which was just published by Penguin. The author's grandfather survived the sinking.

... would anyone have early pictures of the Blake House at 449 Jarvis St. I've looked everywhere! I can't believe a house of this historical significance was not photographed many times once completed in 1891(?).
Thanks,
Stephen MacDonald

Then. 266 Jarvis Street. c1907. Victor Home for Young Women. Another wwwebster sourced picture.

230266Jarvisc1907.jpg

Now. April 2011.

231.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Hello bigmac1x and welcome,

I hope one of the keener researchers here finds your early picture. At least Blake house is still with us... and you can even have a meal there. :)

What I find remarkable from early 20th century photos is that, evidently, almost as soon as electricity was introduced, the infrastructure for it appeared practically overnight. And then, for the next 100 years, it remained almost exactly the same.

The infrastructure is long lived isn't it? I suppose Torontonians have become inured to this forest of poles and wires. 'Inured' might be a poor choice of words here - for me - it doesn't bother me in the least. :)

Back