News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Both the BMO and Bank of Nova Scotia buildings on Lawrence Ave E are heritage buildings. Was the renovation of the BMO building done after it was designated?

Both banks were listed on October 6, 1997. BMO's renovation looks like it happened since then. Another case of Preservation Services (or its predecessors) dropping the ball.

there's another Bank of Nova Scotia on the corner of Weston and Lawrence that also has some interesting features, in a different style, possibly earlier i suppose. it's also in reasonably unscathed condition.

20f0a27b-2de7-4749-b544-6efb00ff6efd_zpsad9055b6.jpg

Nice example, deepend. Impossible to find any info on it. Hints of the Bloor Street Confederation Life Building.....

Speaking of The Bank of Montreal and working in a "retardataire" style, Head Office for BMO on the NW corner of King & Bay, begun in 1937, completed in 1948 (note: Panda Archives lists John B.Parkin as the architect; Wikipedia lsting for Chapman & Oxley claims it for them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapman_and_Oxley):; Dictionary of Architects in Canada credits it to a JV between Marani & Morris and Chapman, Oxley and Facey http://dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org/architects/view/1462)

bmo3.jpg

Under construction:

bmo9.jpg

bmo2.jpg

bmo5.jpg

bmo6.jpg

bmo7.jpg

bmo8.jpg

bmo4.jpg

Attachments

• bmo3.jpg
    bmo3.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,010
  • bmo2.jpg
    bmo2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 851
  • bmo4.jpg
    bmo4.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 901
  • bmo5.jpg
    bmo5.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 863
  • bmo6.jpg
    bmo6.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 842
  • bmo7.jpg
    bmo7.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 864
  • bmo8.jpg
    bmo8.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 844
  • bmo9.jpg
    bmo9.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 901
Last edited:
On a side note--does anyone have any information on Greenview Lodge--across the street from the two banks? It's a really attractive building but it seems so out of place in Don Mills. It's ornate brick work is unique in the neighbourhood. The lettering above the main entrance reminds me of Old City Hall. http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=don+mills&hl=en&ll=43.736024,-79.34853&spn=0.00082,0.001742&hnear=Don+Mills,+Toronto,+Toronto+Division,+Ontario&gl=ca&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=43.736024,-79.348786&panoid=oPTr4Ns-RRWr15tjzYGptA&cbp=12,357.94,,1,-1.51

Their website says it opened in 1979. I think before that there was a low-rise apartment there - like the ones next door to it. I think this is it on the right.

getimage (2).jpg

Attachments

• getimage (2).jpg
    getimage (2).jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 906
Last edited:
Both banks were listed on October 6, 1997. BMO's renovation looks like it happened since then. Another case of Preservation Services (or its predecessors) dropping the ball.

Is there any way that the landlord could be forced to return it to its original state?

"Is there any way that the landlord could be forced to return it to its original state?"
QUOTE: Chip?.

Only their insurance company knows for sure.

Regards,
J T

Speaking of The Bank of Montreal and working in a "retardataire" style, Head Office for BMO on the NW corner of King & Bay, begun in 1937, completed in 1948 (note: Panda Archives lists John B.Parkin as the architect; Wikipedia lsting for Chapman & Oxley claims it for them http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapman_and_Oxley):; Dictionary of Architects in Canada credits it to a JV between Marani & Morris and Chapman, Oxley and Facey http://dictionaryofarchitectsincanada.org/architects/view/1462)

What a shame. And it only lasted 25 years!

What a shame. And it only lasted 25 years!

There was an effort to try to persuade O&Y to preserve the building at the time, given that its location did not interefere with either of the two office towers of FCP and was only to be replaced by a podium. Alas, it was all for naught given the times. Scotia Plaza a decade later reflected the sea-change in attitudes to heritage, with the preservation of the Bank of Nova Scotia building, the relocation of the Wood Gundy facade to Adelaide and the preservation of the Cameron-Jeffries and Fairweather facades on Yonge.

Only recently did I notice the similarity in design between the Allenby and Royal cinemas. Is this a common style?

TNAllenby-Royal_zps2d6c43cc.jpg

Only recently did I notice the similarity in design between the Allenby and Royal cinemas. Is this a common style?

I'm not presently up to researching; but yes, don't be surprised if Kaplan & Sprachman (I presume) had a "formula" going in the mid-to-late 30s...

"Only recently did I notice the similarity in design between the Allenby and Royal cinemas. Is this a common style?"
QUOTE: Prof Goldie.

FILM WEEKLY YEAR BOOK of the CANADIAN MOTION PICTURE INDUSTRY - 1951:
(First edition.)

ALLENBY:
1215 Danforth Avenue.
Seating: 770.
Open: 6 days.
(Build: Post 1933.)

PYLON: aka Royal Cinema.
606 College Street.
Seating: 749.
Open: 6 days.