According to the West Don Lands Construction Lisaison Committee minutes of early April the park may finally open by July 1.

The opening of the tunnel under the railroad (Bala Underpass) may occur as soon as July 1, 2013. This will allow access to the dry side of the FPL portion of the Don River Park. Access from Bayview/River Streets at Lawren Harris Square would be open at the same time providing a through-route from park visitors. Access from Cherry Street will not occur until after the Pan/Para Pan Am Games. See: http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/wdl_clc_meeting_minutes_april_9_2013_final_1.pdf

Corktown Common gets my vote.

A close second is King's Reserve. I imagine regal horses on the estate, sorry...I meant park :D

Although boring, I like Don River Park. It's simple and timeless. And it identifies it based on geography. Second place is Corktown Commons, but how many new parks named Commons is too many? I personally am not in favour of a park name that the majority of the population and/or tourists can't pronounce.

I like Wonscotonach the best too. "King's Reserve" is my least favourite - it smacks of Neo-Colonial pretense (imho)... although I guess its rooted in local history (but still eyeroll inducing for a park dedicated in 2013) The others are so-so.
:)

Corktown Common gets my vote.

A close second is King's Reserve. I imagine regal horses on the estate, sorry...I meant park :D

I went with King's Reserve, but Corktown Common was my second choice. Don River park just seemed a bit boring, and the other two seemed too hard to pronounce to develop into a common name for the place. :)

"King's Reserve" is my least favourite - it smacks of Neo-Colonial pretense (imho)... although I guess its rooted in local history (but still eyeroll inducing for a park dedicated in 2013)

lol, are you okay with the Front Street portion across from the park dedicated last year as, "The Front Street Diamond Jubilee Promenade" in honour of our Queen?

I kid, of course :p I do agree that it is a tad pretentious lol. And if that name wins then I bring my hunting dogs to the park , too :p

I didn't make the short list so this is a last "ditch" suggestion:

Hans Brinker Waterpark.

In case the berm wasn't designed properly.

405px-hans_brinker_madurodam.jpg

Attachments

• 405px-hans_brinker_madurodam.jpg
    405px-hans_brinker_madurodam.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 520
lol, are you okay with the Front Street portion across from the park dedicated last year as, "The Front Street Diamond Jubilee Promenade" in honour of our Queen?

I kid, of course :p I do agree that it is a tad pretentious lol. And if that name wins then I bring my hunting dogs to the park , too :p

Well, QEII HAS had to endure the doubtlessly nauseating company of countless sycophantic provincial bureaucrats (Harper being our most enthusiastic sycophant-in-chief) on her 60 years of handshaking tours. I guess the old bird deserves SOME recognition over here!! ;p

Although boring, I like Don River Park. It's simple and timeless. And it identifies it based on geography. Second place is Corktown Commons, but how many new parks named Commons is too many? I personally am not in favour of a park name that the majority of the population and/or tourists can't pronounce.

Yeah this is why I went with DRP. Regardless of of the name chosen this is a great addition for Toronto as a whole and another solid project from everyone's favourite boondoggle agency, aka Waterfront Toronto.

I went with Ataratiri. It's actually quite easy to pronounce (easier than Wonscotonach!) and rolls off the tongue once you're used to it.

It's unique and local and, as the poll describes, carries a double meaning for the site.

I do like "Corktown Common", but to me the park isn't located in what I would describe as Corktown.

I find "Ataratiri" stirs up too much old politics. Might as well call it Bob Rae park because that's the only person I think about when I hear that name. I was beyond surprised that it made the list regardless of the actual meaning. It's not 1992 anymore. Time to move on.

It's my understanding that the West Don Lands and the Distillery District are indeed in Corktown.

I went with Ataratiri. It's actually quite easy to pronounce (easier than Wonscotonach!) and rolls off the tongue once you're used to it.

It's unique and local and, as the poll describes, carries a double meaning for the site.

I do like "Corktown Common", but to me the park isn't located in what I would describe as Corktown.

I also went with Atatatiri because that was the original name of this redevelopment. It's not located in Corktown. This neighbourhood will have its own name, so why get it mixed up with a neighbouring area? It's also not located along the Don River, (it's beside the Don River but the main part of it is away from the Don) so I would not pick the Don River Park name. I would have called it Pan-Am Park, to commemorate the games but it's too late for that, so Ataratiri, it is for me.

Back