That's great, but no word in the newsrelease about when it's opening. Did I see July 1 somewhere in the thread?

That's great, but no word in the newsrelease about when it's opening. Did I see July 1 somewhere in the thread?
They HAVE said 'early July" but their deadlines seem to change with the tides and the reason they have been giving for not opening it was that it could not be opened until the wet side (nearest river) was finished. I was there today and it looks exactly as it did several months ago and absolutely no sign of any work going on. It's too bad that WT never meet their original deadlines and that they then miss subsequent ones too.

Last edited:
Nah, sounds too close to Southcore. Was there a plan to call this stretch Canary District or something like that, or was it just pre con marketing drivel?

Regardless of the name, looking forward to visiting this beautiful park this summer

They HAVE said 'early July" but their deadlines seem to change with the tides and the reason they have been giving for not opening it was that it could not be opened until the wet side (nearest river) was finished. I was there today and it looks exactly as it did several months ago and absolutely no sign of any work going on. It's too bad that WT never meet their original deadlines and that they then miss subsequent ones too.

With all due respect to WT, this is a rather large project (40,000 truck loads of soil to start) that was difficult to time. Unfortunately, people don`t like to hear that something will take 5 years to complete. They want to hear 2 years. Developers do the same thing. It`s also very difficult to time when our trades are maxed out at the moment. The whole city seems under construction or renovation.

Have faith that it will be completed and it will be awesome :D

With all due respect to WT, this is a rather large project (40,000 truck loads of soil to start) that was difficult to time. Unfortunately, people don`t like to hear that something will take 5 years to complete. They want to hear 2 years. Developers do the same thing. It`s also very difficult to time when our trades are maxed out at the moment. The whole city seems under construction or renovation.

Have faith that it will be completed and it will be awesome :D
I know it was a huge project and a very exciting one but virtually every WT project is late (Queen's Quay, Esplanade, Sherbourne Common, the list goes on) and this one has had completion/opening dates announced and then re-announced for about a year now. My point was that WT frequently misses completion dates and in this case their latest reason for not opening the park (awaiting completion of the wet side) is not looking good at they seem to have done no work on it for at least 8 weeks.

I understand people`s frustration with ever-changing completion dates.

One of my favourite movies as a kid was The Money Pit with Tom Hanks. It follows a young couple renovating an old mansion..and they are in way over their heads in reno debt. It becomes a running joke in the movie when the trades always promise that a certain job will take TWO WEEKS...and of course, it goes much longer than that!!!

So...for any project in TO that is suppossed that take about two years, or three years, or four years...I always think of The Money Pit haha ;)

Last edited:
CEO Report to WT Board o9n May 22:

"Waterfront Toronto continues to work with Infrastructure Ontario (“IO”), the City and the Province in order to complete the Bala Underpass connection from Don River Park (“DRP”) to the Lower Don trail. This connection is required to have the dry side of the park open this summer. Waterfront Toronto is targeting June 27, 2013 to open the dry side of the park." Apparently they can now open the dry side without the wet side.

I noticed last night that the tunnel has been unblocked. There is just portable fencing across it now, and it looks like they are just about finished building the paths up to the steps.

I noticed last night that the tunnel has been unblocked. There is just portable fencing across it now, and it looks like they are just about finished building the paths up to the steps.

Yes, it's been unblocked for over a week and WT are still planning to open the park and the connection to the Lower Don Trail on 27th June. I think that the wet section of the park (apart from the path to the tunnel) will probably not open for a while - they were still pouring earth onto it last week and the pathway that will run immediately north and west of the rail line is certainly not ready.

As per Waterfront Toronto the park will open June 28th.

"Corktown Common will be open from the end of June until early September. In order to complete construction of the eastern, river side of the park, the park will close for the winter and reopen in spring 2014."

Can't wait to finally walk through it :D

Back