30 June 2013:

e84z.jpg

So will they be putting up drywall where those north facing units are covered by the spandrel glass?

Wow! Great angle RM! I really love how that barcode/digital noise pattern sticks out. Great way to set itself apart while still adhering to University's unofficial policy of keeping everything monochromatic. For 42 floors, the thing looks massive too - probably a similar scale of what Theatre Park and the Festival Tower would look like next to the Mirvish+Gehry proposal.

So will they be putting up drywall where those north facing units are covered by the spandrel glass?

You got it! No glazing on that elevation.

(Drywall is just the final wall "finish" though, of course. There's lots more behind the spandrel than just drywall.)

Last edited:
How so? It's no different than the glazing or cladding that encloses any other condos going up in the city. It's very secure and safe.

What would go through it?

How so? It's no different than the glazing or cladding that encloses any other condos going up in the city. It's very secure and safe.

What would go through it?

It's not very hard to puncture drywall. At least with transparent glazing you know that it's a window and you can act accordingly, by say, not leaning on the glass (which I'm sure would be safe to do, but nevertheless very disconcerting). Psychologically I expect the exterior walls of my apartment to be made of either glass or something impossible to penetrate, like concrete.

They will likely build interior walls with closer centers between aluminum wall studs over those sections. Besides, they will need the walls to house electrical outlets, coaxial cable, HDMI, phone, etc..

That's kind of unnerving. It doesn't take much to get through some drywall and a panel of spandrel glass.

Assuming standard window wall construction, the glass would be situated in front of what is called a back pan. Think of it as a metal liner supported on all four sides by the window wall framing. The back pan is fabricated of sheet metal, and its function is to support the insulation located at spandrel areas, and maintain continuity of the air barrier and waterproofing systems. If you remove the drywall, you'll uncover the back pan, which being constructed of sheet metal, is not going anywhere!

Back