News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmm-kay, I fired off the following email to most of the Executive Council and noted fence sitter, Pasternak.

Only Pasternak has written back so far, but what he said was somewhat interesting, though a tad condescending.

"Thank you for this e-mail.

I would agree that Mayor Ford's behaviour is totally unacceptable and damaging to the City of Toronto.

However, I don't think marching down main street with a pitchfork and torch will work in this situation. I am approaching this with a strategy of constructive engagement. If you knew what I knew you would agree.

I find the bolded bit disturbing (along with the whole tone of his reply) -- if he knows something, why doesn't he do something about it?

I find the bolded bit disturbing (along with the whole tone of his reply) -- if he knows something, why doesn't he do something about it?

I'd send him a response and ask him what he's being so cagey about; I don't think he meant it to be "I know more than you" but "I've got more information that's not public and so it's better to take a different approach".

That struck me as odd as well, so I wrote him back and suggested he use the media to maybe fill us in on what he knows. He hasn't written back.

On Edit:

Just noticed TM's remark saying maybe Pasternak just means that he knows RF's personality better than I do--i.e impossible to make him budge, so why bother? Yeah, it could be something as simple as that, but I like to think it's something more nefarious.

Last edited:

It could be that he knows that more is forthcoming. If so, and if it's inevitable, the better strategy might be to let Ford hang himself with his own rope and continue to take the higher road of "constructive engagement" while he does.

I'm surprised Sarah Thomson hasn't popped up again (or did she and I missed that)...didn't she make her butt-grabbing allegations prior to the crack video?

I urge everyone to write Pasternak--and some of the other fence sitters (and the EC enablers too even though they are entrenched)--as he seems particularly prickly and vulnerable over this whole affair and could fold with some targeted prodding. I dunno if it will accomplish anything but you have to look for weakness or vulnerability in some of the enablers and exploit it. Just my two cents.

Pasternak was interviewed on CBC radio early this morning. He sounded like he thought everyone was making too much of a fuss and suggested a softer, more conciliatory approach would work with Ford. Can't say I agree with that asssessment. After some prodding by Matt Galloway he did own up to his belief that Ford should step aside and be with his family for awhile. A little too mushy a reply as far as I can see. But he may be right, in the sense that the more people clamour for Ford to step down, the more Ford hardens his denialist resolve.

I am starting to think that Ford will be stopped only by being tragically tripped up by his own dependency issues. He resembles a child in a man's body. I think his family could help them, if they weren't ensnared by their own conflicts of interest. Doug wants to run at the provincial level and he's trying his best to "manage" his errant brother. The strain between the two must be intense - regardless of how much the brothers tries to paint a rosy, cosy picture of family strength.

It could be that he knows that more is forthcoming. If so, and if it's inevitable, the better strategy might be to let Ford hang himself with his own rope and continue to take the higher road of "constructive engagement" while he does.

I am hoping that this will be what happens.

I took it as he knows that more is forthcoming, and I am sure there is, but why be such wimps and let him off with just saying he'll get a driver? It's just so weak, especially if they know more. Sure, he might hang himself with his own rope but in the meantime, he is an embarrassment and a liability. It's gone way beyond the eye-rolling stage at his antics.

Ford is pretty stupid..... A simple pay as you go phone (burner) would have masked a lot of what he was doing, the cops must have listened to every call he has made over the last year now

I can't speak for the other guy, but I certainly wouldn't use tweets as definitive proof of anything, trust me. He asked if anyone had more on the matter and I shared what I'd seen. The only way this could be really useful is as a hint leading to a direct query of the mayor. I think it would be totally legit (and awesome) for a reporter to ask, you know, "In light of your apology on 1010 and pledge to "do better"... did you purchase alcohol last night?"

Sorry to all for the twitter dead end. I'd like to apologize to all UT members at this time. I've made some mistakes. I'm doing my best. I got a little carried away and it won't happen again. At least I'll try to make sure it doesn't happen again. I can't say that it won't, but that's my promise to you. :p

Pasternak was interviewed on CBC radio early this morning. He sounded like he thought everyone was making too much of a fuss and suggested a softer, more conciliatory approach would work with Ford. Can't say I agree with that asssessment. After some prodding by Matt Galloway he did own up to his belief that Ford should step aside and be with his family for awhile. A little too mushy a reply as far as I can see. But he may be right, in the sense that the more people clamour for Ford to step down, the more Ford hardens his denialist resolve.

I am starting to think that Ford will be stopped only by being tragically tripped up by his own dependency issues. He resembles a child in a man's body. I think his family could help them, if they weren't ensnared by their own conflicts of interest. Doug wants to run at the provincial level and he's trying his best to "manage" his errant brother. The strain between the two must be intense - regardless of how much the brothers tries to paint a rosy, cosy picture of family strength.
I missed that. I heard Norm Kelly and wanted to reach through the radio and shake him.

I also wonder about Mamma Ford. I think she might be somewhat of a puppet master. Somehow, I doubt she is a meek little old lady.

FWIW I'm a "she" but thanks for the source. I wouldn't take anything on twitter as proof of much, but as I said the only place I've ever seen the mayor is at the liquor store and, anecdotally, anyone at work or in casual conversation who's seen him has been either at an event or the LCBO. Man definitely has a drinking problem (which even he doesn't seem to quite admit to - downing whole mickeys of vodka and driving around is a far cry from "a few cold ones").

I'm willing to bet that he doesn't actually have a heavy drinking problem. He more likely has a problem with harder drugs. Maybe it's crack, maybe it's cocaine or oxy. Either way, the fact that the Fords are so eager to have us talk about booze rather than other matters is reason enough to believe that this story is just one big smokescreen.

So it seems that Chief Blair doesn't have the power to release the crack video. What about the lawyers? Is there a legal procedure that can be initiated to have it released or do we have to wait until the trial, if there is one, to begin?

I'm willing to bet that he doesn't actually have a heavy drinking problem. He more likely has a problem with harder drugs. Maybe it's crack, maybe it's cocaine or oxy
I actually think Ford does coke on the weekends, and got caught trying crack once which happened to be caught on video. I dont think he smokes crack regularly, or is addicted to crack. He's too fat to be a crackhead.

I do think he should get help for his coke problem and his excessive drinking though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back