News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

^ haha! Pretty amazing for all the talk about how problematic transit expansion is in the city that most don't realize a tunnel is slowly being created under Eglinton.

Caledonia is now in sight.

That climb up that hill from Keele Street up to Glenhaven Street took a lot out. They'll level out for the very deep station under Blacktorn Avenue, then continue the low climb before leveling out after Caledonia.

Dennis is nearing FreshCo and is very much done digging (slightly) upwards, as the machine just passed Glenhaven/Venn.

Stage One - Launch Shaft Construction East of Brentcliffe Road

From The Crosstown website at this link:

What work is starting?

What: A massive shaft will be excavated to prepare the area to launch the tunnel boring machines (TBMs). The site will remain a construction zone for multiple years through several stages of the project. Launch shafts are deep excavations that provide access points for TBMs. The two TBMs will begin tunnelling at the launch shaft east of Brentcliffe and work their way west towards Yonge Street.
The first stage of construction work at the launch shaft area will consist of:

• Setting up the construction staging area
  • Road widening
  • Installation of construction fencing and barriers
  • Relocation of utilities, street lights and some tree removal (any tree removed will be replaced by additional trees according to the City by-law)
  • Construction of a revised sanitary sewer system
  • Installation of steel beams (piles)
Where: The work zone will extend along Eglinton Avenue East between Brentcliffe Road and Leslie Street during this phase. Barriers and other protection measures will be used to separate the work zone safely from the public.

When: Starting as early as the third week of January 2014. More stages of the work will follow and construction updates will be provided as the work is phased in the coming years. Timelines may be adjusted due to weather and unforeseen circumstances.

Traffic Details:

Traffic lanes will be shifted to the north side of Eglinton Avenue between Brentcliffe Road and Leslie Street to allow construction crews to begin excavation of the shaft from the south side. Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction along Eglinton Avenue east in the work zone east of Brentcliffe Road.

- See more at: http://www.thecrosstown.ca/news-med...east-of-brentcliffe-road#sthash.hjRSGcCG.dpuf

So it looks like having a new alignment east of Brentcliffe has reached the point of no return? =\

Yup, and the locals who fought the move to extend the tunnels will now have to suffer through the resulting traffic mess during the construction period. And I wouldn't be surprised if these same groups end up complaining about the construction disruptions as well.

Yup, and the locals who fought the move to extend the tunnels will now have to suffer through the resulting traffic mess during the construction period. And I wouldn't be surprised if these same groups end up complaining about the construction disruptions as well.

Well, honestly all of Eglinton will be a traffic mess for the next 7 years, regardless of that alignment choice.

As a local, I'm expecting it and I'll happily deal with it considering I'm getting a new transit line :).

Back