Yeah, that proposed park design is pretty minimal. There is noting really to it. (grass and a few trees) I hope we end up getting a lot more then just that.

So why not just turn it into a charming, little square? That area has a number of parks near by but not much in terms of beautiful public spaces. Oh, and I don't count Ontario Square or Canada Square as proper squares. They are just paved walkways leading to the waterfront.

So why not just turn it into a charming, little square? That area has a number of parks near by but not much in terms of beautiful public spaces. Oh, and I don't count Ontario Square or Canada Square as proper squares. They are just paved walkways leading to the waterfront.

Agreed. This city is seriously lacking in public squares, and parks don't achieve the same effect as a beautiful public square. Parks are where one goes to escape the city, whereas squares are where one goes to engage the city. This would be a perfect spot for one.

It will definitely a big improved for the area, but I have a hard time imaging it to be an acceptable, not to mention desirable location for a home. You have to see the Gardiner every single day -- hard to bear that...

Some people, like me, actually love that sort of thing and really enjoy living amongst gritty infrastructure. It's quite beautiful at night with the cars on the highways and streets. I specifically chose my condo unit to have an awesome view of downtown; and with it comes close-up views of the DVP, Bayview Ave, Gerrard Street, Dundas Street, River Street, Queen Street, King Street, the Richmond and Adelaide ramps, and the GO train corridor and the Gardiner Expressway in the distance.

Anyone who comes here loves it. It's quite distracting and fascinating to see everything going on. Its nothing short of urban theatre. I just call it life in the city. If I wanted some pastoral setting then I'd move to the country. For me, only looking at the Gardiner might be a bit of a let down now lol :p

p.s. that said, I'm looking forward to the little extra greenspace here :D

Last edited:
A decent fountain at the southwest corner of the park would be nice

Agreed! The rendering is in no way a park design; it's merely to show what it will look like with the ramps eliminated, and in a general way. I have no doubt that the space will be used by most of the new office workers at One York and RBC Waterpark Place as well as the thousands of new residents here.

Agreed. This city is seriously lacking in public squares, and parks don't achieve the same effect as a beautiful public square. Parks are where one goes to escape the city, whereas squares are where one goes to engage the city. This would be a perfect spot for one.

In my opinion, a well designed park can be just as engaging as a square. Toronto should look to Manhattan to see what a real park should look like. World class we aren't.

12200277025_da499a0d58_c.jpg

12200695514_73329c3fc3_c.jpg

12200280165_2ecac8bc45_c.jpg

12200698194_5327cd4515_c.jpg

12200899336_c269277835_c.jpg

I'm surprised this tiny plot of land wasn't successfully lobbied into another slim tower.

It's going to be a bonsai park, for sure: surrounded by Toronto's tallest density. Quite the contrast.

I wouldn't necessary advocate for accessories, such as a fountain, because the small amount of available land will be desperately needed not just by the office goers, to whom this park is directly adjacent, but it will be greatly needed by all these new supposed residents.

Personally, to get the biggest bang for the underwhelming degree of space this park offers: I'd cluster a relatively modest number yet impressive variety of colourful trees in the centre (which will physically depict the density of towers that surround the park, with the single "dividing" park trail expressing the Gardiner that trails through that cluster), and I'd open up the remaining area with grass, trimmed with landscaping where the grass meets the street sidewalks. This format of park landscaping also protects the street traffic from tree debris during storms. I realise the above illustration is no where near the final version of what is to be established.

I just hope the park doesn't have too much clutter. It should admit how small it is.

Last edited:
In my opinion, a well designed park can be just as engaging as a square. Toronto should look to Manhattan to see what a real park should look like. World class we aren't.

Salsa why go so far Toronto should look at Vancouver's Stanley park "the Jewel".

Salsa why go so far Toronto should look at Vancouver's Stanley park "the Jewel".

Vancouver is actually farther than NY, although it really doesn't matter anyway. Also, Stanley park is more comparable with the Toronto Islands than this small piece of land that we're talking about.

12200695514_73329c3fc3_c.jpg

12200280165_2ecac8bc45_c.jpg

12200698194_5327cd4515_c.jpg

I would like to explore the examples you've provided, salsa (I'm going to assume for the moment that there is more than one park presented in the above illustrations); and thank you, btw, for posting these pictures.

How large are these parks? I've noticed some perspectives that give the impression that only mild density levels are closeby. I believe the density that's jacking upward in Toronto's Southcore is going to produce a population density that could very well overwhelm the proposed park (which I'm still surprised didn't become a building, too. This tiny park is very much so an afterthought, eh?). Why do you feel as though the examples you've provides are appropriate in this context?

Back