Manhattan has so many beautiful, highly urban, nicely ensconced areas like that. I wish Toronto had much more of this...

With all these new residents eventually moving into the area around the park, I can see it turning into one giant piss-park for dogs. If Cityplace is any example, unfortunately a lot of people don't pick up after their pets.

Some parks in NYC may be called parks but they look and function like public squares. They seem more like gathering spaces where events are held and people actually interact. Parks in Toronto function more like toilets for dogs and running tracks for joggers/cyclists. We don't get the big crowds of people just sitting and enjoying the park.

Physically, what is the difference between a park and a public square? More paving stones and less grass? (in a public square) I hate the fact that trees in our parks always seem to be randomly placed, as if by Mother Nature herself, instead of creatively designed for dramatic effect. We don't put much thought into making our public spaces distinctive, stylish, creative or original.

A small public square at this location would bring much more vibrancy, than a patch of grass and trees ever would. In fact, don't we already have the grass and trees, just a block away, behind the Harbour Square apartments? There is a pretty sizeable park there and it already has the grass and trees, dog walkers demand. Wouldn't people rather walk in parkland on the water, than a park squeezed between condos?

So why not use this valuable land for a different type of public space, where more small, intimate events, and animation can occur? I think that space is big enough for a decent sized public square with a number of prominent, defining features. (fountain, coffee shop with patio, great art, a beautiful fence, distinctive paving stones, public seating, planters for colourful gardens) I'm sorry but grass and trees just don't cut in in 2014 Toronto. We deserve better!

Last edited:
I'm 99.9% sure that the rendering above showing the 'park' as just trees and grass and walkways is only a placeholder. It really just shows what exists currently but without the ramps. It's not a park design. I do enjoy the passion with the over-reactions, however.

There is a square 100 meters away... it was just completed last summer as well..

If you mean Canada/Ontario Square, those are not decent squares. They are more like walkways to the waterfront and look nothing like the kind of squares I'm talking about. They certainly don't look good, stylish, original, creative, distinctive or interesting in any way. I find no reason at all to be in those spaces and obviously, most people feel the same way because they are almost always EMPTY! (unless there is an event on, which are few and far between) Those squares are a complete failure in my opinion.

And yes, I am hoping the rendering is just a place holder and some interesting designs will develop. I just don't understand why people would want more of the same grass and trees crap when we can actually have beautiful, original, distinctive parks and squares, with a little effort. Why not create a stand out, signature public space? It's not even a matter of cost, it's a matter of effort and ambition.

Last edited:
I would like to explore the examples you've provided (I'm going to assume for the moment that there is more than one park presented in the above illustrations); and thank you, btw, for posting these pictures.

How large are these parks? I've noticed some perspectives that give the impression that only mild density levels are closeby. I believe the density that's jacking upward in Toronto's Southcore is going to produce a population density that could very well overwhelm the proposed park (which I'm still surprised didn't become a building, too. This tiny park is very much so an afterthought, eh?). Why do you feel as though the examples you've provides are appropriate in this context?

The parks you see here are City Hall park, Union square, Madison square park, and Bryant park (see map). I think they are somewhat larger than the one that will be built here, but nevertheless they are the typical parks you will find in Manhattan, some of which are also in extremely high density areas (particularly Bryant Park - from the night photo). If Manhattan can set aside enough parkland despite the incredible density (and that's without mentioning Central park), then why can't Toronto do the same?

The point that I'm trying to make is that this location doesn't need to be a public square in order to be vibrant. These NYC parks are a great place to hang out, spend some time, and enjoy the city. They have fountains, places to sit, little restaurants, some monuments, etc. It doesn't hurt to have a few trees in this location instead of a square, which would do better to soften the soulless glass and concrete environment. But if we opt for nothing more than a patch of grass and trees or whatever, then of course it's not going to work as well.

Last edited:
Those parks you showed in Manhattan are great. Actually, they are like public squares, just a bit more grass. (more of a combination of public square & park) All those parks have significant paved areas, with lots of features to animate them. I'd be happy to have any of those parks. I love how decorative fencing is used in NYC, to define parks and squares. I wish we did more of that here. Those fences just add a level of charm to their parks. NYC also has superior benches and seating in general. It's the little details like benches, light poles, paving stones and garbage cans, that make the big difference.

Typically I would say could never compete but I'll argue there is one exception ... Sherborne Park ! I'd say the qualtity of finishings (i.e. light poles / paving / benches / ...) is just as good as the parks you show in NYC ... but that's it, there isn't anything else in Toronto I'd compare to them. To be fair though Sherbrone park isn't exactly a square either.

Typically I would say could never compete but I'll argue there is one exception ... Sherborne Park ! I'd say the qualtity of finishings (i.e. light poles / paving / benches / ...) is just as good as the parks you show in NYC ... but that's it, there isn't anything else in Toronto I'd compare to them. To be fair though Sherbrone park isn't exactly a square either.

What do you think of Berzcy Park, behind the flatiron?

What do you think of Berzcy Park, behind the flatiron?

Yeah, I was thinking the same. Berzcy Park is pretty similar to those Manhattan's square-parks.

35326913.jpg

Google Maps

Last edited:
Berczy Park is falling apart. The seating is broken, the brick walls are crumbling and even the paving stones are falling apart. I look forward to its redesign and renovation, which is planned. The only thing good about Berczy, is the fountain and art.

Back