I found this on internet, it's not mine. Whoever took it is very good photographer.
Screenshot2013-08-13at92230PM.png

It is a beautiful shot. One of my favourite public spaces -- but just in need of a little freshening up. It's the setting that makes it special, too.

It's funny for all this talk about how awesome NYC is (which it is!), there are a lot of New Yorkers who envy Toronto and would like to be a little less like the ground zero of greed & the epicentre of excess and a little more like us. Again, people see what they want to see -- cherry-picking the gems in other cities to prove their arguments. I see us being a beautiful city already.

I don't think Berczy is great ... well it is ... but its really the location / setting that is amazing ..

When it comes to the quality of finishing s its like most things in Toronto, again Sugar Beach / that area as a whole gets all the little details right !

Actually there is commerce court plaza, with the giant fountain which is a very neat public square !

Yes! Cloud Gardens is another one I love right in the core...and with the Dineen Coffee Co. around the corner this place is perfect.

It is a beautiful shot. One of my favourite public spaces -- but just in need of a little freshening up. It's the setting that makes it special, too.

It's funny for all this talk about how awesome NYC is (which it is!), there are a lot of New Yorkers who envy Toronto and would like to be a little less like the ground zero of greed & the epicentre of excess and a little more like us. Again, people see what they want to see -- cherry-picking the gems in other cities to prove their arguments. I see us being a beautiful city already.

I'm completely agree with you. People need to understand that Toronto is not NYC or Chicago or Atlanta or London. Toronto is Toronto period.

A lot of great comments above however I think caution is warranted when comparing NYC and Toronto, they are very different cities, built in very different times. That being said it of course isn't bad to want the things you love in another city for your own city, in fact it makes perfect sense.

The other thing that caught me is the comment above that Berczy park is falling apart. Most of the beautiful parks I saw in NYC just a couple weeks ago I would also state are "falling apart" however that cannot be stopped and doesn't seem to detract from the parks themselves, im my opinion. In our cold climate a new park will look "old" after just one winter and isn't the main cause for the low quality of our parks. Like said very well above it is more about the design and functionality of most of our spaces that is severely lacking.

I for one am worried now that I have learned Berczy Park is set for a "renovation". If done incorrectly it could easily ruin one of our few nice parks/squares.

A lot of great comments above however I think caution is warranted when comparing NYC and Toronto, they are very different cities, built in very different times. That being said it of course isn't bad to want the things you love in another city for your own city, in fact it makes perfect sense.

The other thing that caught me is the comment above that Berczy park is falling apart. Most of the beautiful parks I saw in NYC just a couple weeks ago I would also state are "falling apart" however that cannot be stopped and doesn't seem to detract from the parks themselves, im my opinion. In our cold climate a new park will look "old" after just one winter and isn't the main cause for the low quality of our parks. Like said very well above it is more about the design and functionality of most of our spaces that is severely lacking.

I for one am worried now that I have learned Berczy Park is set for a "renovation". If done incorrectly it could easily ruin one of our few nice parks/squares.

If you're interested, you can find more info about the renovation here
http://berczy.wordpress.com/

I'm completely agree with you. People need to understand that Toronto is not NYC or Chicago or Atlanta or London. Toronto is Toronto period.

I highly doubt many New Yorkers envy Toronto for whatever reason. Let's stop kidding ourselves. Many New Yorkers probably don't know exactly where Toronto is. To say NYC is ground zero of all the corporate greed is a gross stereotyping. New York like any other great city, has plenty of interesting neighbourhoods and most people live normal life just like those in Toronto and Montreal - they just happen to be in a much larger and vibrant city. As to the excess, there is abundance of it there, but it is a choice, and your life doesn't have to be influenced by it in any way.

Back to the picture above - it is exactly what Toronto needs - more nice public square - not just small parks with nothing but green grass and randomly planted trees. St James Park and Allen Gardens (could be better) are sort of good examples. We one the other hand, have more greenspace like Moss Park and Grange Park - honestly they don't deserve to be in downtown Toronto. High Park of course is more like a dog park than a sophisticated urban park that pleases people aesthetically.

If you're interested, you can find more info about the renovation here
http://berczy.wordpress.com/

Based on the consultation, it looks like there may be a new dog area. Torontovibe will not approve of this "doggie toilet".

Typically I would say could never compete but I'll argue there is one exception ... Sherborne Park ! I'd say the qualtity of finishings (i.e. light poles / paving / benches / ...) is just as good as the parks you show in NYC ... but that's it, there isn't anything else in Toronto I'd compare to them. To be fair though Sherbrone park isn't exactly a square either.

Let's not forget my fav park: Music Garden!

Back