News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that Rob is probably in rehab of some sort (now, at least), but I also need to hear something more than "Someone identifying themselves as Rob Ford's doctor told us...." I need a name. It could have been frickin' Dr. Dre for all we know. "You'll have to take our word for it" just doesn't cut it in this case. I mean, I'm sure that scammy rehab resort in Muskoka has doctors willing to confirm that Ford is under their care, and if that's the case, it would effect my opinion on how seriously they're taking this. There are actually a lot of little clues in both the CBC report, and the quotes from Doug, that make me think this is still not totally on the level---"Rob will leave when he feels he's ready"? What kind of rehab lets the patients decide when they're ready?

As for the "We can't give any names because of the safety of the patients, blah blah blah..." that's a smokescreen. Look at any celebrity who's ever gone into rehab (when we actually knew they went into rehab) and that information is always out there. The Fords don't want the information out there in this case because they don't want people looking at it too closely. That's the bottom line.
As somebody who's worked in a journalistic field, the CBC is handling it correctly. Just because other tabloids and more gossipy "news" services have reported the clinics of famous Hollywood stars, doesn't mean our news sources should.

Here's the thing with anonymity. It's anonymous to the reader. But do you really think the Star doesn't know who made the recording? The CBC doesn't know the name of the doctor (and fact checked to make sure they're real)? The CBC doesn't know the location (and again, fact checked it)?

Of course they do. Most news sources aren't a fan of anonymous sources that they don't even know. They're handling this situation far more ethically than most news outlets would do.

Just because Ford hasn't handled the city as ethical as he should have, doesn't mean that we should banging at the doors and demanding where Ford is, to the harm of the other patients at the facility. There are some health care workers, social workers, addictions workers I follow, who are absolutely disgusted by what Ford has done, that have railed against him, and even they think this is fair.

Good thing for cops that even though Ford suspects his phone is tapped and he's being followed he's still careless

I continue to waffle between thinking Giroux and co are onto something big, or whether they're keystone kops not even certain what they're after.

Milton Berle was an example ( one of many ) of a comedian who "worked clean" for his entire onstage and onscreen career.

Offstage he was known to have a colorful vocabulary and few limits on when it was used.

He often criticized younger comedians like Lenny Bruce and George Carlin for their X-rated humor, and challenged them to be just as funny without the four-letter words.

Somewhere around St. Phillips Rd.

Kind of a charming pic actually.

( Woke up and HAD to take a peek at UT. :) )

Yeah, I was trying to place it relative to the bus stop, coming home or leaving, etc.

Uh, I'm pretty sure the people who would think the Star is piling on ALREADY think the Star is piling on, whether the bit about his mother appears or not.

The Toronto Star has lead the charge against this fool, and at great cost to them. Last winter Robyn Doolittle said in an interview that the Star lost (don't quote me here) around 100,000 subscriptions after the crack story broke last year because many didn't believe it and thought the Star was "piling on".
May I suggest, if you have the means, take out a subscription and support the Toronto Star. Media is struggling, it's tough out there and the Star has proven over and over again how important real investigative journalism is. Of course I am in no way affiliated with the Star or any of it's advertisers, I simply believe it's the right thing to do and I don't believe anyone has suggested supporting the Star throughout all of this.

As somebody who's worked in a journalistic field, the CBC is handling it correctly. Just because other tabloids and more gossipy "news" services have reported the clinics of famous Hollywood stars, doesn't mean our news sources should.

Here's the thing with anonymity. It's anonymous to the reader. But do you really think the Star doesn't know who made the recording? The CBC doesn't know the name of the doctor (and fact checked to make sure they're real)? The CBC doesn't know the location (and again, fact checked it)?

Of course they do. Most news sources aren't a fan of anonymous sources that they don't even know. They're handling this situation far more ethically than most news outlets would do.

Just because Ford hasn't handled the city as ethical as he should have, doesn't mean that we should banging at the doors and demanding where Ford is, to the harm of the other patients at the facility. There are some health care workers, social workers, addictions workers I follow, who are absolutely disgusted by what Ford has done, that have railed against him, and even they think this is fair.

+1,000

I sufficiently trust that the CBC did adequate due diligence to get the most basic facts verified. Any details (i.e., did Ford 'escape' the hospital to grab a Timmies, etc.) just won't make any difference as to whether I think any more or less of the man. I don't think it would change the mind of the core Ford supporters either.

I used to work at the Star, and know exactly how many subscriptions they have. There is no way they would have lost 100,000 subscriptions due complaints about their handling of the Ford stories.

I think I heard Doug on CBC radio saying Rob would be in rehab *until he thinks he's ready* - which could of course be very soon.

I was going through my old documents folder and found this. A sketch I was working on at second city. It only made it to this first draft (so don't judge too much) but it just goes to show you where we've come and how insanely unbelievable this all is. This would have been right around the time of his COI testimony.

Gary, Jerry, Glen, Glenda and Barry sit in an office conference room.

GLEN:
Folks, welcome. We have a lot of work to do today so let's get right to it. So far, we have had great success as the architects of Rob Ford's term in office. Our plan is working perfectly. The more blunders, gaffes and embarrassments he commits publicly the stronger the support with his base is. They rally behind him and see each incident as an example of the downtown gentry elite and liberal media victimizing him. Rudy, posing him with a nazi? A stroke of genius.

RUDY:
Thanks, I was pretty proud of that one.

GLEN:
And Ken hats off for the giving a finger to a six year old while driving and talking on the phone debacle. That was inspired.

KEN
My pleasure.

GLEN:
But there is a still a long way to go before the next election. It's time to kick operation Sweaty Oaf into high gear. We can't rest on our laurels. We need new, fresh mishaps, goofs and flagrant public demonstrations of obstinate ignorance. Who's got something for me?

LINDA:
Picture this. A ribbon cutting ceremony at a new public park. Ford shows up late. He runs toward the ribbon as sweat beads on his forehead. He trips and gets his head stuck in the jungle gym. He unleashes a string of profanities while gasping for air in front of a group of schoolchildren as EMS crews work to free him.

GLEN:
I like it.But it's been done. I know, it's tough to keep track. He does go rogue sometimes.

RUDY:
Okay, let's see. How about he runs over a cyclist while reading a lunch menu from Jack Astor's and doing his pro-line picks?

GLEN:
Nice. Keep going.

KEN:
Maybe he could call 9-1-1 on a Girl Guide selling cookies? Take a swing at margaret Atwood? Call a baby a fag? This is tough. He's really set the bar pretty high.

KEN:
Hold up guys...are we maybe pushing it a little bit?

GLEN:
Are you kidding me? Currently he is before the courts in a clear conflict of interest case and despite voting against every single outreach program he is now claiming his charity keeps kids out of gangs and saves their lives. His testimony was a rambling, incoherent series of contradictions. He is actually using his complete and utter lack of understanding as to how council works as a defence!

Here's a few comments from the Toronto Sun messageboard:

suckitpinkofaggots wrote: Eat me comrade miller! robbie's the man.

dielibtardsdie wrote: Adumb Vaughan is behind this witch hunt. stupid leftie libtards!

Adam is spelled Adumb by the way. They like doing that with people's names for some reason.

And fordshtemanhecandonowrongwrote: that'll show those union trough-feeders thank god taliban jack layton is dead, get off the gravy train freeloaders. Go back to India Muslims!

Honestly, this stuff just makes them stronger. It's like red bull to them. Skies the limit guys. Think big.

KEN:
Oh! How about he tries to deport Matt Galloway?

Gary:
Good, I like it.

RUDY:
He could propose that we turn daycares into child labour camps where pre-schoolers will be forced to earn their keep by sewing Argo's jerseys.

Gary:
Nice job Rudy. Who else?

LINDA:
Well, how about this. Couldn't the mayor design a clear and sustainable vision for the city then work with council to build consensus and relationships to make the plan actionable?

SILENCE

LINDA:
I'm fucking with you. How about he eats Olivia Chow's dog?

GLEN:
Jeez Linda, I thought you were drunk again. Look guys this is all good stuff. Rudy? Can you write it up? I've got to get going. The mayor has a press conference in a few minutes and I have to get down there to make sure he calls someone a dyke.

"Ford’s wife Renata is on the couch, a tired lounger that has been described to the Star by paramedics and firefighters who have attended calls at the house over the past two years."

I don't know about the firefighters, but I'm surprised the Star managed to get even a description of the furniture from the paramedics.

I feel sorry for Mrs. Ford that the Star felt it necessary to print that ( about her marriage ). I guess they're just doing their job, but what a way to sell papers.

Last edited:
Of course I am in no way affiliated with the Star or any of it's advertisers, I simply believe it's the right thing to do and I don't believe anyone has suggested supporting the Star throughout all of this.

I did actually way, way back and have followed through with it. It's nice to see that others feel the same.

I used to work at the Star, and know exactly how many subscriptions they have. There is no way they would have lost 100,000 subscriptions due complaints about their handling of the Ford stories.

Actually turns out the quote was that they lost "$500,000".

http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/2014/03/06/Tor-Star-Rob-Ford-Coverage/

Cruickshank's remarks are interesting, given that editor Michael Cooke told a Toronto audience of journalists in November that the Star had lost a number of subscribers due to its Ford coverage.

"We endured about half a million dollars worth in lost business and subscriptions from Ford Nation. The Ford brothers -- with their cotton candy, disgraceful radio show on CFRB -- urged everyone who would listen to them to cancel their business with The Star," Cooke said.

I was going through my old documents folder and found this. A sketch I was working on at second city. It only made it to this first draft (so don't judge too much) but it just goes to show you where we've come and how insanely unbelievable this all is. This would have been right around the time of his COI testimony.

Gary, Jerry, Glen, Glenda and Barry sit in an office conference room.

GLEN:
Folks, welcome. We have a lot of work to do today so let's get right to it. So far, we have had great success as the architects of Rob Ford's term in office. Our plan is working perfectly. The more blunders, gaffes and embarrassments he commits publicly the stronger the support with his base is. They rally behind him and see each incident as an example of the downtown gentry elite and liberal media victimizing him. Rudy, posing him with a nazi? A stroke of genius.

RUDY:
Thanks, I was pretty proud of that one.

GLEN:
And Ken hats off for the giving a finger to a six year old while driving and talking on the phone debacle. That was inspired.

KEN
My pleasure.

GLEN:
But there is a still a long way to go before the next election. It's time to kick operation Sweaty Oaf into high gear. We can't rest on our laurels. We need new, fresh mishaps, goofs and flagrant public demonstrations of obstinate ignorance. Who's got something for me?

LINDA:
Picture this. A ribbon cutting ceremony at a new public park. Ford shows up late. He runs toward the ribbon as sweat beads on his forehead. He trips and gets his head stuck in the jungle gym. He unleashes a string of profanities while gasping for air in front of a group of schoolchildren as EMS crews work to free him.

GLEN:
I like it.But it's been done. I know, it's tough to keep track. He does go rogue sometimes.

RUDY:
Okay, let's see. How about he runs over a cyclist while reading a lunch menu from Jack Astor's and doing his pro-line picks?

GLEN:
Nice. Keep going.

KEN:
Maybe he could call 9-1-1 on a Girl Guide selling cookies? Take a swing at margaret Atwood? Call a baby a fag? This is tough. He's really set the bar pretty high.

KEN:
Hold up guys...are we maybe pushing it a little bit?

GLEN:
Are you kidding me? Currently he is before the courts in a clear conflict of interest case and despite voting against every single outreach program he is now claiming his charity keeps kids out of gangs and saves their lives. His testimony was a rambling, incoherent series of contradictions. He is actually using his complete and utter lack of understanding as to how council works as a defence!

Here's a few comments from the Toronto Sun messageboard:

suckitpinkofaggots wrote: Eat me comrade miller! robbie's the man.

dielibtardsdie wrote: Adumb Vaughan is behind this witch hunt. stupid leftie libtards!

Adam is spelled Adumb by the way. They like doing that with people's names for some reason.

And fordshtemanhecandonowrongwrote: that'll show those union trough-feeders thank god taliban jack layton is dead, get off the gravy train freeloaders. Go back to India Muslims!

Honestly, this stuff just makes them stronger. It's like red bull to them. Skies the limit guys. Think big.

KEN:
Oh! How about he tries to deport Matt Galloway?

Gary:
Good, I like it.

RUDY:
He could propose that we turn daycares into child labour camps where pre-schoolers will be forced to earn their keep by sewing Argo's jerseys.

Gary:
Nice job Rudy. Who else?

LINDA:
Well, how about this. Couldn't the mayor design a clear and sustainable vision for the city then work with council to build consensus and relationships to make the plan actionable?

SILENCE

LINDA:
I'm fucking with you. How about he eats Olivia Chow's dog?

GLEN:
Jeez Linda, I thought you were drunk again. Look guys this is all good stuff. Rudy? Can you write it up? I've got to get going. The mayor has a press conference in a few minutes and I have to get down there to make sure he calls someone a dyke.

So great ! Thanks for sharing - as an improver myself that would be so much fun to play !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back