News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
When it comes to the Ford Fenomenon, most of us are asking, as history will be asking: “how did we get here?†Well, how *did* we arrive here, and who did the driving? It took more than just RoFo, who in spite of his RoFo-ness, was still only representin’
Maybe I'm simplistic, but looking back on it, it seems obvious that a marginal, freak populist candidate benefitted serendipitously from the backlash against a gay drug addict candidate in recovery.

Whether a candidate is progressive or conservitave, they still have to capture enough of the middle ground to win, without pissing off their "base."

If your opponent drives away the middle ground all by themselves, your job is 90% done.

Rob Ford in 2010 got lucky. Too bad Toronto didn't.

Maybe I'm simplistic, but looking back on it, it seems obvious that a marginal, freak populist candidate benefitted serendipitously from the backlash against a gay drug addict candidate in recovery.

Whether a candidate is progressive or conservitave, they still have to capture enough of the middle ground to win, without pissing off their "base."

If your opponent drives away the middle ground all by themselves, your job is 90% done.

It's no coincidence he won in 2010, same years the Republicans took back the house. Rob Ford benefited from a lot of media chatter about waste in government.

+1! Not simplistic at all. Just concise & ejumicational.

(Any poli sci/social sci students taking notes? Rob Ford's TO may become an oft-used essay topic for the next couple of years.)

ETA:
Intolerance of diversity from diverse groups of individuals. There's an irony.
Then give it a boost by a little of our personal greed. Vehicle tax, anyone? (Ironically, politicians always bribe us with our own money.)
Add a pinch of FU to CH, et voila!

Last edited:
Anyone dare to speculate what the FoFam fall out looks like October 27 when RoFo loses. How spectacular will the fallout be. Call me optimistic but I just can't even imagine a RoFo win.

Anyone dare to speculate what the FoFam fall out looks like October 27 when RoFo loses. How spectacular will the fallout be. Call me optimistic but I just can't even imagine a RoFo win.

A veritable ton of excuses as to why they lost with conspiracy theories taboot. The real issues will come when they realize they have no power and the media stops paying attention. I think Rob will not survive it, literally or metaphorically.

Many of us have been paying attention to how D'Angelo may fit into this mess. I; however, will NOT take one for the team and watch his "Real Gangsters" or his new film, "Big Fat Stone".

i bit the bullet and watched "real gangsters"... and i hate to say it, but it's not bad. there are some scenes with brutally bad acting, but the script is ok. however... knowing the parts of the stories that we do know, made some scenes a little unsettling to watch.

there are 2 clips that made me think of this thread.

the first is uber weird to watch knowing about his real life rape charges...

[video=vimeo;98900399]https://vimeo.com/98900399[/video]

one more in a sec...

and this one is project traveller / brazen 2 related-ish...

[video=vimeo;98900398]https://vimeo.com/98900398[/video]

I suspect he will become Canada's Rush Limbaugh and continue with his comedy radio show.

Ford doesn't have the talent for wordsmithing needed. Bat-shit crazy world view is not enough.
Yeah once he has no political power, the Youtube show will feature complaints about bike riding left wing pinkos (much indignation over Chow destroying the city), and sports talk. But since he can't reel off stats or even players names like a real sports commentator, it will be superficial and dull.

The Ford family will need to face the fact that after October 27th, Rob Ford will be totally unemployable. The only thing I can see him doing is a 3:00 am infomercial flogging "collectible" bobbleheads.

He'd probably have to be be tear-gassed out of his office, once moving day arrives.

Although Ford certainly (and with hindsight, with irony) brought up drug use to discredit Smitherman, I don't think that "drug addict in recovery" played much of a part in Smitherman's defeat. His involvement in and handling of eHealth and ORNGE while at Queen's Park were much more significant.

The Ford family will need to face the fact that after October 27th, Rob Ford will be totally unemployable. The only thing I can see him doing is a 3:00 am infomercial flogging "collectible" bobbleheads.

He can always crawl back to the Deco silverspoon and smoke the family fortune away.

He'd probably have to be be tear-gassed out of his office, once moving day arrives.

Look for him on the SRT that night selling subways.

AoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back