News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

really? Isn't the name "southcore" kind of forced?
When the media starts to use it, people gradually get use to it. Better than saying "Yonge and Eglinton" IMO, which always reminds people of a specific intersection that the identity of a nabe. Only neighbourhoods that are not neighbourhoods are named like that (which is probably true for Y&E).

I live in the Yonge & Eglinton neighborhood and I love it. I think it's the perfect name for this neighbourhood and I like the nickname "Young & Eligible" as well. Just because its named after the major intersection doesn't make it any less of a neighbourhood when I am walking around enjoying it imho. #2cents

I live in the Yonge & Eglinton neighborhood and I love it. I think it's the perfect name for this neighbourhood and I like the nickname "Young & Eligible" as well. Just because its named after the major intersection doesn't make it any less of a neighbourhood when I am walking around enjoying it imho. #2cents

Fail to see how it is a "perfect" name. Otherwise the Annex should be called "Bloor and Spadina", Leaside is "Laird and Eglinton".
People call it by the intersection only because there is not an established name for a sort of new neighbourhood.
Young and Eligible sounds misleading too. There is no evidence people that area are particular young or ready for marriage.

Fail to see how it is a "perfect" name. Otherwise the Annex should be called "Bloor and Spadina", Leaside is "Laird and Eglinton".
People call it by the intersection only because there is not an established name for a sort of new neighbourhood.
Young and Eligible sounds misleading too. There is no evidence people that area are particular young or ready for marriage.

Does it really bother you that much?

I can't speak for everyone but when I think of Yonge & Eglinton I think of the entire area from about two blocks south to up north to the sports store (forget the name). Plus, going east to what used to be Lime Rickey's 20 years ago (I forget what's there now) and going west about a block or two past the subway terminal.

It may have started off as not having an established name but it surely does now. I don't think most people think of the just the intersection when they think of Yonge & Eglinton.

I dunno, it's just morphed into "Yonge&Eg" in my everyday speech to friends.

I'm even more lazy: "Yonge Eg". Maybe it'll morph int Yegg ;)

I can't speak for everyone but when I think of Yonge & Eglinton I think of the entire area from about two blocks south to up north to the sports store (forget the name). Plus, going east to what used to be Lime Rickey's 20 years ago (I forget what's there now) and going west about a block or two past the subway terminal.

It may have started off as not having an established name but it surely does now. I don't think most people think of the just the intersection when they think of Yonge & Eglinton.

Agreed. I think you mean Sporting Life. The best parts of the neighbourhood are actually both north & south of the intersection, up to Sporting Life and down to Davisville.

Going west, I feel like it's more Forest Hill than The Yegg. Yegg life!

I'm even more lazy: "Yonge Eg". Maybe it'll morph int Yegg ;)

I like Yegg, it is very funky.

No, the name doesn't bother me. I just don't buy this argument that "oh, Yonge and Eglinton is the perfect name for this neighbourhood". It is convenient called so only because it doesn't have a name.

I like Yegg, it is very funky.

No, the name doesn't bother me. I just don't buy this argument that "oh, Yonge and Eglinton is the perfect name for this neighbourhood". It is convenient called so only because it doesn't have a name.

Ok, I understand. The thing is, it's difficult to change the name of a place that people use unless you have development corporations or other organizations promoting the new name, but it is possible.

With Southcore and City Place, they are new areas with lots of new development. Many neighbourhood names come from the original town name, like Yorkville, Forest Hill. With an established neighbourhood it's more difficult. Many people still call Rogers Centre the Skydome.

I think a part of the problem is that this area used to be called North Toronto, but that name cannot be accurate anymore after amalgamation.

Midtown seems to be gaining momentum as a name though. I like calling it Midtown too (I feel it is very adequate for the neighborhood, as it is where life from the burbs meets the downtown life into its own unique hybrid), and will continue promoting it.

I think a part of the problem is that this area used to be called North Toronto, but that name cannot be accurate anymore after amalgamation.

Midtown seems to be gaining momentum as a name though. I like calling it Midtown too (I feel it is very adequate for the neighborhood, as it is where life from the burbs meets the downtown life into its own unique hybrid), and will continue promoting it.

I find Midtown too vague personally, cause you always have to get into debates on what is midtown what is uptown etc.

The BIA for Yonge-Eg is "Uptown Yonge" and has signs that say "Uptown" all over.

Midtown used to be Yonge-Bloor, and when Toronto inevitably absorbs York Region, it'll shift north again ;)

Midtown is not a neighbourhood, just like downtown is not a neighbourhood.

For as long as I can remember we've been calling it "Yonge & Eglinton" or "Yonge & Eg" for short. I think, for the most part, Torontonians have adopted that name for the neighborhood.

I find Midtown too vague personally, cause you always have to get into debates on what is midtown what is uptown etc.

The BIA for Yonge-Eg is "Uptown Yonge" and has signs that say "Uptown" all over.

Midtown used to be Yonge-Bloor, and when Toronto inevitably absorbs York Region, it'll shift north again ;)

About 5 years ago, I was out for drinks on a patio and some acquaintances of friends stopped by. One of them worked for Toronto Hydro at Yonge and Carlton. Somehow the word "midtown" came into conversation, and she declared that Midtown was at Yonge and Carlton, and she was quite insistent that any other description was just plain wrong. I remember the incident well, because she was rude and pushy about it, and wouldn't even acknowledge that the concept of midtown might have changed over time or that different people might have different views. Seemed like an odd issue for her to alienate people over.

She *was* wrong (unless she went back in time), and this is just an anecdotal story, but it illustrates the fact that Midtown is a big, amorphous concept.

anything north of a few blocks north of Eglinton is still considered North Toronto. You can feel it just by looking at the increasing subway spacing.
For most suburbanites, it is when they cross Eglinton that they feel they are in the city.

Back