News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I read about Mikey, the more uncomfortable I get. He's 20. Does anyone remember what life was like at that age? Did you know ANYONE then who was serious enough to dive into politics at 20? I mean, outside the university pub where we all debated and bragged and felt immortal. I can't help but feel that the kid's a patsy. I'm not saying there aren't brilliant kids out there, but honestly. I just feel bad for the guy, he has obviously been used as a servant, driving (and maybe flying) his Uncle Rob to rehab, and carrying out God-knows what other duties for the Ford family. But to think that he has to deal with his family's unfathomable history (your Dad did what?) as well as being groomed and pushed into the spotlight? Lamb to the slaughter comes to mind. I don't feel one whit of pity for any of the elder Fords....but this one is bothering me.

If this hasn't been posted, it should, for UT's starring role in it...

http://www.randomhouse.ca/hazlitt/blog/what-rob-ford-and-his-critics-have-common

lol, he doesn't understand how internet forums work? and yeah navneet, we expect the mayor to be better than a bunch of anonymous people online. and at least we work at self-policing around here -- obviously 50 different people can't behave as one (maybe YOU'RE perfect, navneet -- but we're not ;) ). but at least we recognize it while the Fords never apologize or make any effort at real change/self-improvement.

I've been wondering if part of it has also been anger that they have commandeered Mikey.
He has been in the spotlight driving uncs around and maybe after the name change she felt it was a last ditch attempt to save her son from following a path to destruction?

bro, she steals toothbrushes... I don't think she's any better than Rob & Doug from a "just say no to drugs & crime" point of view.

The more I read about Mikey, the more uncomfortable I get. He's 20. Does anyone remember what life was like at that age? Did you know ANYONE then who was serious enough to dive into politics at 20? I mean, outside the university pub where we all debated and bragged and felt immortal. I can't help but feel that the kid's a patsy. I'm not saying there aren't brilliant kids out there, but honestly. I just feel bad for the guy, he has obviously been used as a servant, driving (and maybe flying) his Uncle Rob to rehab, and carrying out God-knows what other duties for the Ford family. But to think that he has to deal with his family's unfathomable history (your Dad did what?) as well as being groomed and pushed into the spotlight? Lamb to the slaughter comes to mind. I don't feel one whit of pity for any of the elder Fords....but this one is bothering me.

100% this.

(Subject to change if Mikey ever proves to be a bad person instead of a person stuck in a bad situation.)

All of this and add in the salary. A 20 year old with no real life experience, professionally or otherwise, earning $100 grand/year and responsible for actual issues and a staff. No thank you.

All of this and add in the salary. A 20 year old with no real life experience, professionally or otherwise, earning $100 grand/year and responsible for actual issues and a staff. No thank you.

Adam Giambrone was elected at age 26. He is the youngest councillor I can think of.

Mikey being pushed by Rub and Thug would bother me. Especially if Mikey's silence was out of fear or intimidation from Rob or possibly Thug.

Michael Ford's silence bothers me in a different way, if he is serious about running on his own as candidate for council. I don't care if he's 20 or 40, I want to know what a candidate has to offer. The very least he\she can do is say something, what do they have to offer, what are their plans, what do they think of the Leaf's chances for a cup this century. Coke, or Pepsi? There's lots to be bothered with this whole thing.

Ouch. A little harsh, but also probably not totally off the mark.

Oh, I'd say it's fair, especially when there's no news and things get really goofy. This thread has its high moments and some fun times. It also has it's share of dreck (and double standards.). I don't mind, though. It's the Internet. On the other hand, navneet fails to rise above and concludes that all Ford critics are all the same, before trailing off into some faux Pomo/cyberpunk nonsense. Looks like he/she knows what a metaphor is, though. Anyone running in Ward 2?

Last edited:
It's sounding more and more base on folks I talk to like Kathy might've set up Rob with the second crack video in exchange for cash. She might've done it out of spite for Doug etc cutting off her legal aid. I also suspect MacIntyre might have helped her. Thus the reason he agreed to be interviewed for the Globes story.

that's what i thought, the moment she appeared on the scene. but if true, who paid her, and why?

Finally, the sudden appearance of Kathy? C'mon.

In this entire year long debacle, and with everything we know about Rob's life over the past few years from the Project Brazen ITOs, there is not one mention of Kathy as a part of Rob's day to day existence. Think of all the characters we've been introduced too throughout this story: the Bassos, Lisi, Bellissimo, Price, etc. Kathy is nowhere to be found. She's a figure from the past, a ghost in the background, and tied to the Rob Ford story through the Scott McIntyre case, but not in any way a part of his inner circle or his life as Mayor.

All of a sudden she's the catalyzing agent that springs Rob out of the Mayor's chair and into rehab? Sorry, this whole thing doesn't pass the smell test with me.

lol, he doesn't understand how internet forums work? and yeah navneet, we expect the mayor to be better than a bunch of anonymous people online. and at least we work at self-policing around here -- obviously 50 different people can't behave as one (maybe YOU'RE perfect, navneet -- but we're not ;) ). but at least we recognize it while the Fords never apologize or make any effort at real change/self-improvement.

It reads like a Globe and Mail Op-ed. Uncomfortable with the idea that citizens might be capable of dissecting a complex scandal without their mediation, and dismissive of the notion that our government could be co-opted by truly dark forces.

"... the odd situation in which both a city’s political leader and his fiercest critics are each in their own way living out the desire to both inscribe and inflict the self onto an “out there†that never really seems to care."

What kind of self is anonymous? Is that self even real?
Besides it's cheaper than a subscription to Frank Mag and possibly more fun. :)

ETA: Cyborgs sound futuristic, yes. However, aside from the main problem of WTF is Ford still doing here, we've got an issue as old as Toronto itself: “one thing is certain, no free popular government can exist unless people are informed. An ignorant republic would surely degenerate into a most corrupt and hateful government.†- William Lyon Mackenzie, the 1st mayor of Toronto, 1836

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back