8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: article

It’s the kind of explanation I find deeply satisfying because it gets at the unconscious desire that drives our relationship to these tools. Particularly fascinating, to me, is what social media says about our desires to both speak and write our identities in the spaces beyond our bodies. In the creation of a sphere in which we can publicize and externalize our thoughts, there is a profound something being said about our wanting to inscribe our words into a visible place and have the world see it.

There is something profoundly ironic about someone saying that on what amounts to be an online digital mag. And is it really about "the public" at large seeing it - I have my doubts about that interpretation applied to UT.

It reads like a Globe and Mail Op-ed. Uncomfortable with the idea that citizens might be capable of dissecting a complex scandal without their mediation, and dismissive of the notion that our government could be co-opted by truly dark forces.

+1 on that.

AoD

Last edited:
Robbie should really try to financially grasp the realities of operating a business.

Mayor, TTC at odds over tunnel boring machines

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/22/92m-sale-of-ttc-tunnel-boring-machines-falls-through

That's purely about getting his mug on the news - and give him the chance to look as if he is doing something on the transit/transportation file - one which he has no cred whatsoever. Isn't he always at odd with someone over something, least of all himself?

AoD

Last edited:
That's purely about getting his mug on the news - and give him the chance to look as if he is doing something on the transit/transportation file - one which he has no cred whatsoever. Isn't he always at odd with someone over something, least of all himself?

AoD

Time for Byford to resign?

New Forum poll puts Tory, Chow and Ford in a three way tie - give me a break. What happened to the poll from last week?

Here's a good way to support your choice for mayor and the food goes to the food bank afterwards.

@goldsbie tweet:
Meet Toronto’s top three Mayoral Candidates constructed out of cans of food! Each “canâ€onization of the candidates will stand 6 ft. x 6 ft. Come to the CNE and place your vote for Toronto’s next mayor by bringing your own can of food and marking the spot before your mayor of choice: Rob Ford, Olivia Chow, or John Tory. Other leading mayoral candidates will also be represented.

http://theex.com/main/entertainment/exhibits/the-canstruction-of-mayoral-candidates

From today's Globe & Mail:

“Parks supervisors and bylaw enforcement officers will be onsite at the event.â€

How is this a good idea? Is a by-law enforcement officer supposed to run up in the middle of his speech and shut the whole thing down if he crosses an imaginary line? C'mon...

"... the odd situation in which both a city’s political leader and his fiercest critics are each in their own way living out the desire to both inscribe and inflict the self onto an “out there†that never really seems to care."

What kind of self is anonymous? Is that self even real?
Besides it's cheaper than a subscription to Frank Mag and possibly more fun. :)

ETA: Cyborgs sound futuristic, yes. However, aside from the main problem of WTF is Ford still doing here, we've got an issue as old as Toronto itself: “one thing is certain, no free popular government can exist unless people are informed. An ignorant republic would surely degenerate into a most corrupt and hateful government.†- William Lyon Mackenzie, the 1st mayor of Toronto, 1836

*Word* to both parts of this. I think the writer of the article is reeaally reaching, and sounding rather 'pseudo' and pretentious with it. As in...dude, it's a discussion forum; that's what it's for. *snort* When don't Canadians like to follow and discuss politics? On or off-line.

And thank goodness, because Wm L. MacKenzie got it right, IMO. Thanks for bringing the quote.

(Though I will readily admit that the Fords also have a certain disbelief-attraction factor that keeps me following events in horrified fascination: the 'WTF is Ford still doing here' thing to which you alluded.)

Afraid I can't help defeat this "most corrupt and hateful government", but sure hope it is done. I don't want to return to Rob Ford's Toronto.

New Forum poll puts Tory, Chow and Ford in a three way tie - give me a break. What happened to the poll from last week?

It's not actually the huge change that Forum makes it out to be (as usual). Ford and Tory went up by only 1%, which is statistically insignificant. Chow went down by 7%, which is significant but could just be a fluke. In the 3-way race, she's still well above Ford (though Tory is gaining ground). I think that's the basic story of the polls in the last few months: Ford is stalled in the twenties, and Chow and Tory are going to be fighting over first place.

They also have ethnic background in the poll. The numbers are too small to take them very seriously. However, it shows that Chow has a whopping 40% of the Asian vote. If that number is anywhere close to accurate, it puts to rest the debate over whether Asians actually like Chow.

Re name changing - one exception is marriage, you can use your married name for your license, passports, bank accounts etc, all you need to do is show your marriage certificate. No need to legally change your name for that. I imagine that since MiFo had both Ford and Stirpe as names he could choose to drop the Stirpe as need be. Timing is fishy (I would've thought after the killing that Kathy would've been quick to change it herself since he was a minor).

Notice that MiFo has unfriended MacIntyre on FB. I swear he was a "friend" up until a few months ago.

Mikey does not have a married name, so that is irrelevant.

His birth last name (part of his original legal name) could have been registered as Ford or Stirpe or Stirpe-Ford or Ford-Stirpe. It is clear from his Change of Name Application that it was registered as Stirpe. Therefore he could not claim that Ford is his legal last name without first changing it via the Change of Name Act. (Even if his registered birth name included Ford as a middle name that would not have allowed him to use Ford as his legal last name. The only way for that to happen is for him to make a change application, as he did, or, if he had not done that then he could have married someone whose legal last name was Ford and adopted the spouse's last name, or a compound of the spouse's last name and Stirpe, as his married name.)

Forum is the worst, but I did a poll from another firm around the middle of last week, haven't had any results from that. There is no way Rob has the same support as Tory and Chow.

For what it's worth I met Kouvalis last week and he said Ford is way behind. Ekos poll that was recently done should be more reliable.

For what it's worth I met Kouvalis last week and he said Ford is way behind. Ekos poll that was recently done should be more reliable.

When might those results come out? I too am skeptical about this Forum poll. Didn't they say that the provincial election was a dead heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back