News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to speculate on the reading habits of any individual, living or dead, but do guys still buy magazines from the top shelf at the news stand? ( As kids, we had a more disgusting name for them. )

Since top selves still exist then I assume so, what I do know is that the big names like Playboy (they reduced from 12 issues to 6 issues a year) are increasing their interwebs presence to compete with the plethora of online sites.

A friend posted this to FB, well said and worth sharing*, I think:

"I'm only going to say this once. I voted for Olivia Chow because she has a good record in politics and is the *only* major candidate with any vision for this city.
And if my vote results in Doug Ford getting in, so be it. I'd *much* rather Ford get in than Tory. Tory will try to implement the same kind of harmful measures as the Fords - which will hurt us all, but especially those who need help the most. People will heave a sigh of relief that the scandals will be over, and give Tory a free pass to do what he wants; he'll get much cooperation from progressives on council who would have opposed him before the debacle of the Ford administration numbed our sensibilities about what constitutes good government.
Doug Ford, on the other hand, will face the same scrutiny Toronto has become accustomed to maintaining under Rob - from the press, the public, and the rest of city council. He will face opposition from the start and will never be able to relax and assume he can count on anyone's support.
Rob Ford's legacy may well be to elect a "moderate" conservative to the mayor's seat with the blessing of a population desperate to restore some dignity to this city and its politics. But conservative policies are still conservative policies. If Ford's major achievement will be to lower the bar so far we're willing to see any other conservative politician as acceptable, he will have achieved more than some of the most brilliant war-room strategists. Don't let it happen.
Vote with your heart, and with a clear view as to what your "strategic" vote may accomplish."

*ETA: In light of Tory's (hopefully fatal, because it should be fatal) tipping of his hand today: his platform is nothing more than "Smart"Track + Stop the Gravy Train 2.0.

NT 1010 debate this afternoon from 4:30 to 6 (commercial-free no less!). No live audience, Ryan Doyle will be the moderator. How many times will Doug accuse him of being biased in favour of his "former colleague" JT? Will be interesting to see if Doyle is as good as Goldhawk in keeping Doug on topic.

Each mod or reporter ought to practice saying "Yes thats my name, Doug. Now answer the question" Doug's habit of snarling the name of any one who is getting close to the bone in a threatening way is tiresome. He did it to Matt at CBC and Jennifer Pags at the Star. Menacing.

A friend posted this to FB, well said and worth sharing*, I think:

"I'm only going to say this once. I voted for Olivia Chow because she has a good record in politics and is the *only* major candidate with any vision for this city.
And if my vote results in Doug Ford getting in, so be it. I'd *much* rather Ford get in than Tory. Tory will try to implement the same kind of harmful measures as the Fords - which will hurt us all, but especially those who need help the most. People will heave a sigh of relief that the scandals will be over, and give Tory a free pass to do what he wants; he'll get much cooperation from progressives on council who would have opposed him before the debacle of the Ford administration numbed our sensibilities about what constitutes good government.
Doug Ford, on the other hand, will face the same scrutiny Toronto has become accustomed to maintaining under Rob - from the press, the public, and the rest of city council. He will face opposition from the start and will never be able to relax and assume he can count on anyone's support.
Rob Ford's legacy may well be to elect a "moderate" conservative to the mayor's seat with the blessing of a population desperate to restore some dignity to this city and its politics. But conservative policies are still conservative policies. If Ford's major achievement will be to lower the bar so far we're willing to see any other conservative politician as acceptable, he will have achieved more than some of the most brilliant war-room strategists. Don't let it happen.
Vote with your heart, and with a clear view as to what your "strategic" vote may accomplish."

*ETA: In light of Tory's (hopefully fatal, because it should be fatal) tipping of his hand today: his platform is nothing more than "Smart"Track + Stop the Gravy Train 2.0.

Looks like Doug has a good shot at getting in. I wonder what that will mean for Rob if he too is successful?

My perception of Doug's behavior at debates and scrums is that he seems to play a bit nicer with Ms. Chow than he does with JT.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Norm Kelly posted on Twitter that last election saw 16K people come out to advance voting.
In ONE DAY yesterday they had 28K.

Given the polling numbers, I suspect that bodes poorly for the Fords. But we'll know soon....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back