News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
The fact the terror level has been increased, that NORAD is on alert, that the U.S. is monitoring, events surrounding military personnel etc., the fact there is any question we should assume the worst and hope for the best is astounding. You have to know that more is known than we are told.

If there isn't the possibility this is real terrorism, why has this spread across the country in terms of heightened security and vigilance? Why are tours of government building as the provincial level being cancelled and even our transit system is on heightened alert.

I personally would prefer it not be, but we have been on "the list" for Al Quaeda and Isis, so not inconceivable our number finally came up. As I'm watching Global's coverage and there is more skewing of the coverage as a terror event rather than an OC Transpo type event.

CBC just said that the BC legislature was warned to take extra measures this week. You might be right.

A few things to consider: 1) porting was a fairly recent development - lots of people who switched to cell never had the option 2) Many people who were carrying both simply dropped the landline and kept their cell number and 3) young people, who never had landlines of their own, simply adopted cells from the outset.

Those are all good points that I hadn't really considered.

My experience two. One landline listed in the white pages, and 2 cell phones that aren't (do any cell phones get listed in the white pages?). There's been 5 or 6 polls, and various town-hall calls too on the land line. On the mobiles? Nothing.

Yeah, I've wondered if it has to do with being listed. As far as I'm aware, cell phones aren't listed, or at least not automatically like they did with landlines (where you had to opt out of being listed). But I'm no expert....maybe someone else here knows more. All's I know is it's all pretty fishy...

Cut the imbecile some slack. He's incapable of making an educated and informed comment. Not his fault. Bad genes.

Reminds me of this bit from the 1989 Batman movie---

Bruce Wayne: I know who you are. Let me tell you about this guy I know, Jack. Mean kid. Bad seed. Hurt people.
The Joker: I like him already.
[laughs]
Bruce Wayne: Now you know the problem was... he got sloppy. You know? Crazy. He started to lose it. He had a head full of bad wiring, I guess.
[Walks towards the fireplace]
Bruce Wayne: Couldn't keep it straight up here.
[Points to his head]
Bruce Wayne: He was the kind of guy who couldn't hear the train until it was 2 feet from him.
The Joker: Hmm.
[Smiles and nods his head]
Bruce Wayne: You know what happened to this guy, Jack?
The Joker: [Shakes his head]
Bruce Wayne: Well... he made mistakes. Then he had his
[grabs a poker and smashes a vase]
Bruce Wayne: LIGHTS OUT! Now you wanna get nuts? Come on! Let's get nuts.

I'm one of those people who carried both for a few years. When I had my landline, I got called for EVERYTHING. But since I dropped the landline and kept my cell, NOTHING. Hardly scientific, but I'v asked widely - this seems a common experience among my friends and colleagues.
Daniel Dale tweeted the following a few days ago:
"There seems to be a belief that Toronto pollsters aren't calling cellphones. Forum, Nanos are. Ipsos is using online panels, so no calls."

My question is where do the list of phone numbers come from? I have both landline and cell. Only the landline is listed and that's where I have been getting the calls. ETA - Kaboi you beat me to the question!

Last edited:
Reminds me of this bit from the 1989 Batman movie---

Bruce Wayne: I know who you are. Let me tell you about this guy I know, Jack. Mean kid. Bad seed. Hurt people.
The Joker: I like him already.
[laughs]
Bruce Wayne: Now you know the problem was... he got sloppy. You know? Crazy. He started to lose it. He had a head full of bad wiring, I guess.
[Walks towards the fireplace]
Bruce Wayne: Couldn't keep it straight up here.
[Points to his head]
Bruce Wayne: He was the kind of guy who couldn't hear the train until it was 2 feet from him.
The Joker: Hmm.
[Smiles and nods his head]
Bruce Wayne: You know what happened to this guy, Jack?
The Joker: [Shakes his head]
Bruce Wayne: Well... he made mistakes. Then he had his
[grabs a poker and smashes a vase]
Bruce Wayne: LIGHTS OUT! Now you wanna get nuts? Come on! Let's get nuts.

OMG he was my fave batman. And I would love to see someone do that to Doug

CBC just said that the BC legislature was warned to take extra measures this week. You might be right.

Yes and Chief Bill Blair is doing a presser at 2:15 on security actions Toronto will take in light of Ottawa events. Random isolated incidents? I think not.

There's no indication that there is a mass casualty event. There's been only 3 reported injuries (other than the gunmen). Two seem stable and relatively minor, and one may be fatal (Kenny has deleted his tweet about the soldier dying - not sure why).

Agreed - it was a poorly chosen phrase and didn't really reflect what I was trying convey.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back