News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amalgamation enthusiasts across Canada may wish to read this.

How the great Ford divide could come to a city near you

For the rest of Canada, it means the schadenfreude moment it’s been enjoying at Toronto’s expense is not yet over.

Rob Ford won on a wave of suburban voter discontent, and those voters are still angry—as are people just like them, in cities across Canada

October 21, 2014
http://www.macleans.ca/politics/how-the-great-ford-divide-could-come-to-a-city-near-you/

"That city is still there, but with its forced amalgamation of municipalities in 1998, the provincial goverment has bolted it to a semicircle of communities—Etobicoke, North York and Scarborough—that once defined Canada’s suburban middle class. The idea was to formalize Toronto as the economically integrated “megacity” outsiders imagined it to be."

"The fault lines had started to appear in past mayoral elections, but it took Rob Ford’s candidacy to fully reveal the schism. Suburban voters were galvanized in 2010 by the unabashed anti-elitism in his messaging. (Who but a fat cat, after all, would ride the “gravy train”?) Their activation overturned long-held assumptions about who turns out for municipal elections. More than half the residents in districts that voted Ford were first-generation immigrants; less than 30 per cent had gone to university and their average household incomes were 25 per cent lower than those in areas that swung to Ford’s closest opponent, George Smitherman. In the once-autonomous suburbs, Ford received more than double Smitherman’s vote take.

“Imagine a Rob Ford without the personal problems who makes the same promises, saying the same things again and again,” says Renan Levine, a political science professor at University of Toronto’s Scarborough campus. “That campaign strategy will be emulated by other ambitious politicians.” Horak goes a step further. “The Ford phenomenon shows us the extent to which Toronto and, I’d say, other Canadian cities are internally divided,” he says. “You can’t just wish it away, or even restructure it away. In any new structure you set up, a new Rob Ford is going to emerge.”

Last edited:
I am glad that Norm Kelly is in charge of this. Rob would have used it for political gain.

Yup, that's pretty much what some of us think. I'm not sure about the organized crime part , but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they were running something not quite kosher. I have always wondered where the money came from for Lisi and his dry cleaner friend to run a grow op on Supertest Road. The dry cleaner had a permit to grow enough weed for more than his medical needs required. I can imagine Rob financing something like that, he'd have his personal supply for free and his buddy Lisi could make them both some money on the rest of the weed. Of course they could be in deeper than that based on Rob's ability to leave himself open to blackmail. I've always thought that the Dixon guys couldn't be the only ones smart enough to video Rob doing stuff a mayor shouldn't be doing.

Remember this? Hey pattycakes, got any more stories to tell?

I am glad that Norm Kelly is in charge of this. Rob would have used it for political gain.

Yup. Likely something about the magic subway unicorn flying in to save the city, and how if it weren't for the damn LRT on St Clair, the situation would have been under control much faster.

From what I read in the CH emergency plan, it appeared the document had been updated to designate the deputy mayor for things previously the responsibility of the mayor.

Catch 22 doesn't even begin to describe Doug as mayor with Rob as his deputy.

Emergency? Call Nurse Dixie at Rampart, stat!

Last edited:
From what I read in the CH emergency plan, it appeared the document had been updated to designate the deputy mayor for things previously the responsibility of the mayor.

Catch 22 doesn't even begin to describe Doug as mayor with Rob as his deputy.

Emergency? Call Nurse Dixie at Rampart, stat!

Dated December 19, 2013
http://www1.toronto.ca/City Of Toronto/Office of Emergency Management/Files/pdf/E/emergency_plan.pdf

Most political emergency plan ever!

The famous Roman orator Marcus Tullius Cicero said: ' A nation can survive its fools and even the ambitious, but it cannot survive treason from within. The traitor moves amongst us, he speaks in accents familiar to his victims and he wears their face and their arguments. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague.'

Last edited:
I'm gobsmacked. There is still a bovine? Im effing near fifty and I hung there whilst young.Tell me Sanctuary is gone please.

(We used to say old punks never die they just pretend to be Goths at sanctuary.)

Old punk.

Bovine is going stronger than ever - they even added a "Tiki" bar/patio on the rooftop last year that's very popular. I've played several shows there over the last few months.

Sanctuary is long gone - it closed in 2000, replaced by a...Starbucks.

My dad just came home from work. He said there were a bunch of police officers at Queens Park subway station.

Jennifer Pagliaro @jpags
CTV anchor says the "tone" of this debate will shift because of recent events. Questions have shifted. We will see what that means soon.

"How do we fight terrorism?"
"Subways! The LRT makes people commit terrorist acts!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back