News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think every incumbent that was running won their ward, except for John Parker.

It really all comes down to name recognition, doesn't it? Most people don't know who the fuck they're voting for, they just know they've seen the name.

And you've got to wonder what Parker did to not get re-elected. Going by the rest of the results he must have been caught murdering children in front of a church or something.

So no more Chow in politics for at least 4 years? She lost her mayoral bid, she doesn't have a council seat, she can't go back to being and MP. She's well and truly out of it. She'll have to get a real job for the first time in many, many years.

In as-of-yet-seen-by-my-eyes-on-UT:

Sam Sotiropoulous lost! At least there's a plurality somewhere in Scarborough who believe that a politician can cross one too many lines.

Serious question: Is Michael Ford high-functioning autistic?

That's the first time we've seen him speak. My wife works with autistic kids and we both looked at each other in wonder - both thinking the same thing.

Well, Randy's son is apparently autistic, so there might be something in the genes.

Sigh. Andray in third place, single digit support? That hurts. We worked so hard.

My heart aches for you and Andray, Gavin, but surely your man is the Prince of Hearts to anyone in the know. The work you did made a difference now and going forward.

And Doug Ford winning 34% tells us something about the voter pool ...something we didn't really want to hear, mind, but still.

Thanks for your efforts.

Almost 1 million people voted. 61% of the electorate. A pretty good sample size.

1 in 3 voted for Doug Ford. Think about it.

He also wasn't the only conservative candidate. His campaign wasn't exactly well-planned and professional.

His brother Rob got 383,501 votes in 2010. Doug got 331,023. And he didn't have $60 VRT to bribe us with.

That doesn't say good things.

I think a certain segment are always going to vote for the most conservative person running no matter what.

We call those people assholes.

John Tory not speaking to the media tonight is kind of a dick move, in my opinion.
Also, out of over 50 candidates running for mayor, white supremacist Don Andrews came in 7th, ahead of even Morgan Baskin. Lovely.

It really all comes down to name recognition, doesn't it? Most people don't know who the fuck they're voting for, they just know they've seen the name.

I've always had a keen interest in politics in Ward 13. I never followed city-wide until this election.

As a French-speaker, I also appreciated it.

Toronto has a fast growing French community. A lousy economic situation and too much talk of separatism has led to yet another large exodus, but this time includes many progressive francophones. Better jobs here, and companies seem eager to move away from the unstable political landscape. Where Montreal used to be a hub for bilingual call centers, it's rapidly moving to Toronto. Even on the street these days, I hear French being spoken all the time.

At least something good happened in my ward!
Some consolation for all the awful people who have been re-elected.

I thought Andray was going to be a close second, I really did. I'm really discouraged. I can barely imagine how you feel. :(

My heart aches for you and Andray, Gavin, but surely your man is the Prince of Hearts to anyone in the know. The work you did made a difference now and going forward.

And Doug Ford winning 34% tells us something about the voter pool ...something we didn't really want to hear, mind, but still.

Thanks for your efforts.

Thanks kindly for the kind words. Andray was upbeat about it and is committed to working for Ward 2 outside of council. Hard loss, but the team has his back for whatever happens next.

Those mayoral numbers though... Yikes. I can't believe Doug got so much support.

And you've got to wonder what Parker did to not get re-elected. Going by the rest of the results he must have been caught murdering children in front of a church or something.
This article in the Star explains it. http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...ker_jon_burnside_in_ward_26_council_race.html
Two main things, development and traffic. This was the ward where that little girl was killed. Parker wasn't vocal about the Slow Down campaign. Last election was very close with Buenside and Parker.

When I think about how he got in, I'm still surprised and sickened. The system, for a better word is truly broken. It wasn't as if the incumbent John Hastings) was incompetent, or there was no opposition.

UN-fucking-real!

What?! The system is functioning perfectly.

Step 1. Decide to be born into the Ford Family.
Step 2. Obey loyally and without question the Ford Orders.
Step 3. If last name is not Ford, change it to Ford.
Step 4. Don't speak unless told to by a higher Ford, see step 2.
Step 5. Win public office as your rightful destiny. (Thy Destiny is to also always obey step 2. Step 2 is the most important step. You shall count to 2 steps, no more and no less for the number of the most important step is # 2.)

See, it works, and works great. Oh, what, you mean the system that works for a -non Fordian- humanoid? Well that's just bizarrely racist I tell you, outright bizarre and racist. No one has done more to hold the Tarawana Tyrant Tory accountable than Robert The Ford, Folks.

Mikey Ford 4 Mayor 2018, ya heard it here first!

Toronto has a fast growing French community. A lousy economic situation and too much talk of separatism has led to yet another large exodus, but this time includes many progressive francophones. Better jobs here, and companies seem eager to move away from the unstable political landscape. Where Montreal used to be a hub for bilingual call centers, it's rapidly moving to Toronto. Even on the street these days, I hear French being spoken all the time.

Also lots of immigration from Haiti and French-speaking African countries over the past ten years. It's not always evident because many also have another native language they speak so you don't always hear the French- but trust me, the Francophone population is growing (look at French school board enrollment) and it's probably pretty smart to start including some French in your speeches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back