News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the chances that we will see ranked ballots? What are the steps required?

The provincial Liberals need to pass a law that allows municipalities to choose between FPTP and ranked ballots. Still a bit sketchy on details, but it looks like the only alternative under consideration is an instant runoff style. Given the number of people who run in municipal elections it may be limited to a 1-2-3 ballot (vs going down the whole list). There are about a dozen variants of proportional and ranked ballots, so there could be more options approved.

Once that law is passed, Toronto Council will need to approve the change in ballot style. They requested the change a few years ago but they still need to approve. Given the strength of most councillors' mandates this time around there is a good chance that they won't be self-interested enough to shoot it down.

Also, let's keep in mind the COI case filed by Jude. There are great ramifications for RoFo if he loses it, which is likely.

Let the watch start on that front!

I know Jude isn't at liberty to say anything but what's the general timeline for this kind of stuff. Did Ford have a certain amount of time to respond legally? Or if he says/does nothing, does the case just go ahead anyway?

I was on it for a few weeks after surgery and I got moonfaced pretty quick. Everyone reacts differently.

Wasn't it that stuff that made Flaherty more emotional than usual? I remember reading something about it. I was given that stuff years ago for bronchitis and it made me have panic attacks. I'd rather have bronchitis.

Me too.

John Tory, Sarah Doucette and Robin Pilkey.

What I'll probably remember most about this election is the sound of Mikey's voice. Not surprised he waited until he got in to speak.

Did Pilkey get the Trustee win? I went Tory/Doucette/Foster, but hey as Meat Loaf sings, Don't Be Sad....

I literally burst out laughing once I heard Mike speak.

As odd and unbelievable as it seems, I think Doug did better than Rob would have. Apparently lying is ok for Ford Nation, but ongoing substance abuse issues probably turned some Rob voters away. How so many people can support either of these reprehensible individuals given all of the facts that we know about them (or elect Mutey for that matter) is beyond me.

The problem with democracy is that everyone gets to vote LOL. I don't get it either, after all the bs from Ford I don't understand how anyone could vote for him.

Me too.

John Tory, Sarah Doucette and Robin Pilkey.

What I'll probably remember most about this election is the sound of Mikey's voice. Not surprised he waited until he got in to speak.

John Tory, Michael Thompson and David Smith for me.

Tory has confirmed that Nick Kouvalis will not be on his staff any longer and that he would like Chow and Soknacki to be part of his team. That's not the worst possible start.

Tory has confirmed that Nick Kouvalis will not be on his staff any longer and that he would like Chow and Soknacki to be part of his team. That's not the worst possible start.

Keep your friends close and your frienemies closer. Sounds like he is going for that 20 something percent. So is Nick going free-agent again? Gawd forbid he should land on FoFam's lap again. Kind of reminds me of Wellington Yueh in Dune.

AoD

Don PeatVerified account ‏@reporterdonpeat
"I know a lot more than I'm telling you and that's your problem" Mayor-elect John Tory to @CP24 host Stephen LeDrew #TOpoli

Anyone who says that to LeDork has my attention.

"Councillor Rob Ford" is back.. There can only be one mayor in chambers.

Technically true. But, I doubt Rob will ever let anyone forget that he was once MINO, and his big 'bro came within a hair of becoming our mayor. In which case, I don't think anyone would have been surprised if Doug had made Rob his deputy.

I hope mayor-elect JT - whether he wants one or not - is immediately assigned a TPS personal protection detail comparable to what a mayor-elect of a similar size American city would receive.

FN - it seems anyone in the Ford bloodline will do - is only a heartbeat away from getting back in to the mayor's office.

Doug is also named in that lawsuit, so even though he lost, he couldn't run in Ward 2 again.

Not quite correct. Removal from office is a mandatory penalty under the MCOI Act - but logically cannot apply to someone who is not in office. The bar against running for office in the future is a discretionary penalty under the MCOI Act - a bar of up to 7 years can be imposed by the judge but the judge can decide not to impose any bar.

Not quite correct. Removal from office is a mandatory penalty under the MCOI Act - but logically cannot apply to someone who is not in office. The bar against running for office in the future is a discretionary penalty under the MCOI Act - a bar of up to 7 years can be imposed by the judge but the judge can decide not to impose any bar.

Ok, I stand corrected. At least Rob could be booted out.

Keep your friends close and your frienemies closer. Sounds like he is going for that 20 something percent. So is Nick going free-agent again? Gawd forbid he should land on FoFam's lap again. Kind of reminds me of Wellington Yueh in Dune.

AoD

I'm guessing Nick will work with the federal conservatives next election.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back