News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on the City of Toronto payroll for over 36 years. That's not how it works.

But, it's a moot point because Doug made it clear that he would take his salary, and decide which charities to dole it out to:

"Ford said he hasn't settled on the groups he would donate to yet but he said he is looking for organizations that can leverage the support."

Could be that Dougie, if he does donate anything, donate to his crony's funds, charities and pet projects. Isn't that what "The Privileged" is all about?

I didn't mean that Doug actually donated back to the city, just that IF he (or anyone else) had, that's how it would work -- so that the total salary paid before donations would show up on the Sunshine List.

I don't for one second believe he donated a red cent to any charity other than the 5 K's shopping fund.

I didn't mean that Doug actually donated back to the city, just that IF he (or anyone else) had, that's how it would work -- so that the total salary paid before donations would show up on the Sunshine List.

I don't for one second believe he donated a red cent to any charity other than the 5 K's shopping fund.

He handed out a few twenties at one of the towers in ward 2, about $200 by his own estimation. And he donated $5,000 towards putting new playground equipment in Flagstaff Park (again, in one of the 'nicer' parts of Ward 2). And he bought pizza for the kids at the Ascot Co-op at least once. And he had to buy his Rotary Paul Harris Fellowship Award, that's another grand ... if you add it up, you're well on the way to his councillor's salary.

He handed out a few twenties at one of the towers in ward 2, about $200 by his own estimation. And he donated $5,000 towards putting new playground equipment in Flagstaff Park (again, in one of the 'nicer' parts of Ward 2). And he bought pizza for the kids at the Ascot Co-op at least once. And he had to buy his Rotary Paul Harris Fellowship Award, that's another grand ... if you add it up, you're well on the way to his councillor's salary.

Aw yiss ... some low-key matter-of-fact right-on-target sarcasm from somebody who has put a lot of time into finding out what's going on and trying to make things better.

That's the kind of thing that has (not sarcastically) made me love following this thread.

(Original "aw yiss" comic by the great Kate Beaton ... http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=125)

We're about 410k short. Peanuts...meanwhile Tory is a a communist and he will destroy Toronto.

I won't click on a Sun link, but did they say where he donated it to? Or like usual, they just make a statement and we're supposed to believe it with no evidence.

I don't see any reason to doubt it went to charity. Now, exactly what kind of charity and who runs it is another question. Given his families interest in politics, I would guess 99% will have gone toward political contributions over the last 4 years.

Among other things, there were numerous opportunities to donate during recent Municipal and Provincial election campaigns. Would you really doubt that he donated heavily to the Rob Ford election campaign?

And if he did donate it all (which I don't for a minute believe), he has scored himself a nice tax break. But hey, it's all for the people, right?

He will get back any taxes paid on the money received from the city. He can't directly end up ahead financially on the transaction if he donates his gross wages.

Last edited:
I don't see any reason to doubt it went to charity.

Yes, Right On, No Fucking Reason At All To Suspect That Doug Ford Was Lying About That Or Anything Else He's Ever Had Anything To Say About.

Now, exactly what kind of charity and who runs it is another question. [blah blah blah.] He will get back any taxes paid on the money received from the city. He can't directly end up ahead financially on the transaction if he donates his gross wages.

Yes, No Way Could Doug Benefit In Any Way That A Reasonable Person Might Regard As Horrifyingly Shady.

(Sorry to be rude in an over-the-top way here. Wouldn't do it if I weren't pretty sure I was right.)

Rob Ford really needs to f*ck up on a grand scale, or we will all be reduced to going to bed a 8:30. Somebody, please, give that man a pipe.

Rob Ford really needs to f*ck up on a grand scale, or we will all be reduced to going to bed a 8:30. Somebody, please, give that man a pipe.

Yes, this. Perhaps, at the moment, I lack the coherence to expand on the thought, but I'm gonna try anyway ...

Why did the man get cancer and let his big-bro stand-in take the meryl election fall? Why did he not instead get stronger, druggier and boozier than ever, and ram his Escalade into a bridge abutment, narrowly missing a pedestrian and a baby carriage, then immediately afterward curse out the pedestrian and baby in language that made his previous rants seem tame?

It doesn't seem fair. The apparent end of the story isn't quite right.

But many stories for other large populations have had much worse endings. TOers, count your blessings.

...It doesn't seem fair. The apparent end of the story isn't quite right.

Well, I think we're a ways out from knowing the end of the story. It's just turned into a medical drama for now. And if this does become the end, I think the twist is entirely fitting. Rob has never failed to amaze, surprise and infuriate. That's just how he rolls.

And if this does become the end, I think the twist is entirely fitting. Rob has never failed to amaze, surprise and infuriate. That's just how he rolls.

Fitting? Sorta yeah, sorta not.

Ideally, in stories, the hideous monster at some point has to get it shoved in his face just how hideous he's been, before he either (a) suffers very hard in a way that suits his crimes or (b) has the grace and wisdom to repent (e.g., Scrooge). I can't be the only one who thinks this way about RoFo.

But maybe I'm being a child and you're being an adult. Outcome (c), complex medical disaster, patient too overwhelmed to think about times before the calamity, is the way things tend to roll, under the sun.

ETA: I was being a little bitter in the above, but not at all sarcastic. If I or anybody else wants an ending that fits a story, we should look for it in a novel or a movie, not in real life.

Last edited:
I don't want that. I don't want him to fuck up on a grand scale merely for our enjoyment and entertainment. I think we've reached the climax. If his cancer is as serious as we're lead to believe then he'll go out with not a bang but a whimper. I don't wish either a bang or a whimper on him, though.

Fitting? Sorta yeah, sorta not.

Ideally, in stories, the hideous monster at some point has to get it shoved in his face just how hideous he's been, before he either (a) suffers very hard in a way that suits his crimes or (b) has the grace and wisdom to repent (e.g., Scrooge). I can't be the only one who thinks this way about RoFo.

But maybe I'm being a child and you're being an adult. Outcome (c), complex medical disaster, patient too overwhelmed to think about times before the calamity, is the way things tend to roll, under the sun.

ETA: I was being a little bitter in the above, but not at all sarcastic. If I or anybody else wants an ending that fits a story, we should look for it in a novel or a movie, not in real life.

Actually, I think your raise an important issue, Calgary: Our discussion of Ford jams often events of the past four years into storybook assemblies of the facts. In my experience, human psychology tends to frame events as storylines, when the reality is never so tidy. I was thinking about that when I posted my comment, but I was being flip (and probably lacking in good taste). I agree very much your point: fitting ends are the stuff of stories, not real life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back