News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somewhat OT, but I have a question: If Doug were to become the leader of the PCPO, would he have to to put his financial holdings in a blind trust? What are the rules and customs around this kind of stuff?

Somewhat OT, but I have a question: If Doug were to become the leader of the PCPO, would he have to to put his financial holdings in a blind trust? What are the rules and customs around this kind of stuff?

If he becomes premier or a cabinet minister he has to put it into a blind trust - here's what John Tory had to say on the matter in 2005:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...t-review-of-blind-trust-rules/article1120034/

If he is Leader of the Opposition don't think same rules apply because he wouldn't be in a position to set policy. PCPO may have internal policies that require it or he could do it voluntarily as a demonstration of his (ahem) integrity.

Here's the specific law:
Corporations, partnerships and sole proprietorships
12. (1) A member of the Executive Council shall not engage in the management of a business carried on by a corporation or carry on business through a partnership or sole proprietorship. 2010, c. 5, s. 5.
Exception, trust on specified terms
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the member has entrusted the business or his or her interest in the business to one or more trustees on the terms set out in paragraphs 1 to 8 of subsection 11 (3). 2010, c. 5, s. 5.

As a member of the legislature, Ford would be able to hold onto his ownership stake, but could not do business with the Government of Ontario unless his business were placed in a trust or the contract was deemed to be immaterial. Existing contracts would be honoured but could not be renewed. If he isn't in Cabinet and doesn't have the province as a customer he is specifically permitted to run a partnership:

Rights preserved

9. Nothing in this Act prohibits a member of the Assembly who is not a member of the Executive Council from,

(a) engaging in employment or in the practice of a profession;

(b) receiving fees for providing professional services under the Legal Aid Services Act, 1998;

(c) engaging in the management of a business carried on by a corporation;

(d) carrying on a business through a partnership or sole proprietorship;

(e) holding or trading in securities, stocks, futures and commodities;

(f) holding shares or an interest in any corporation, partnership, syndicate, co-operative or similar commercial enterprise;

(g) being a director or partner or holding an office, other than an office that a member may not hold under another Act. 1994, c. 38, s. 9; 1998, c. 26, s. 107.

Last edited:
Don't forget that the PCPO runs a mixed voting system - in ridings with <100 votes each candidate gets the actual number of votes cast. In ridings with >100 voters the candidates split 100 votes proportionately. If there are only about 8,000 current memberships a lot of ridings will be under the 100 level, even after the membership drives. The vote is also going to be instant runoff.

For Ford to win he's going to need to get a broad base of support across the province, and he has to do it without pissing too many people off. Not hard to see a scenario where he wins the first ballot on the strength of support in the 416 and 905 but loses the end vote due to a consensus candidate favoured by the rest of the province.

A bit OT, but I gotta testify. My apologies.

My son Bark (Lamport Barcalounger Davenport) isn’t a La-z-Boy, but I’m a little disappointed, or maybe just perplexed at his taste in music.

Bark’s the lead singer in a band he’s got going with some friends from school. They sing really well together, but I find them a bit twee, what with their sweaters, sandals, acoustic guitars and bongos and castanets. They’ve got a real thing for old stories about Yorkville hippies. I keep asking them why don’t they want to be productive and have a positive place in society? Sheesh.

In fact, I thought I smelled ‘shish at basement jam session, but it turned out to be e-cigarettes. Newfangled sheesh. I don’t get it.

One night Bark came back from rehearsal and said “Moxy†something or other. So here I’m thinking Pierre Trudeau, “Can’t You See I’m a Star†and some vaguely Zeppelin sounding rock worthy of The Gasworks on Yonge St. Now, I’m getting interested. Bark’s always had a bite to his voice, and Uncle Fred Gardiner always had Zep or Motorhead on in the car, so I’m thinking maybe the boy is getting back to his roots.

So he plays me the band’s latest demo. There’s all this handclapping, some other guy yodelling about how he once was the King of Spain, and then it segues into their own original songs “Subways Are My Safe Word†and “Iran Iran to the Lawyers’ Officeâ€. It’s really not my cup of herbal tea.

Kids these days, nothin’ but tsuris…

Doug Ford still undecided on Ontario PC leadership run, says elements in party are too far right

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/1...but-says-elements-in-party-are-too-far-right/

TeaseMe.jpg

Attachments

• TeaseMe.jpg
    TeaseMe.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 886
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back