the argos have already gotten the boot, the jays gave them till 2017 to move out. that is when they are converting to real grass at rogers centre.

edit:
http://www.thestar.com/sports/bluej..._pave_way_for_grass_at_the_rogers_centre.html

Most Jays fans are in the I will believe it when I see it when it comes to the grass.

I don't know why Rogers doesn't just ride it out and start planning for a new Park sometime next decade. The hardest part would be finding a location that is close to as good as their current location.

In terms of the Argos. Their problem has always been terrible ownership. C and S probably meant well but how they pissed away a free stadium is beyond me, sure it sucks that the NIMBYs killed the Varsity stadium deal but they should have just took the York U stadium deal. Beggars can't be choosers when you are only paying 20 million. They let MLSE swoop in and get BMO all to themselves and then they tried to get in and MLSE were like lol no and I don't even blame them. Braley is even worse and his cheapness has basically made the team into kind of a joke. Say what you want about Rogers and MLSE but they know how to market their teams and especially to young people.

I don't think the Feds - or the Province - should fund a private sporting venue.

And the CFL can't afford to - nor could an owner, without significant $ from a tv deal - a tv deal for the CFL? I don't think so.

Not seeing it. Why do they need 40,000 seats for the Argos? They are averaging 19,000 per game now - how will you fill those seats? A riveting nail biter against Saskatoon?

But, where will the Argos play in 2018 if this deal doesn't get done? everyone is holding out to see who will blink. Who ever puts up the money will never see it again so its either the Feds or some unknown billionaire who can afford to throw it away. Maybe the Feds are waiting until after the next election so they don't after to explain it to the great unwashed. Sad state of affairs. More exciting than an actual game.

The Feds have already said no to funding it. The province are expected to fund their part of the expansion because the stadium will be used for the Rugby 7's at the Pan-Am games.

The CFL just signed the biggest TV deal in their history - TSN are paying the league $40million a year until 2018 - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...deal-worth-40-million-a-year/article10053800/

Also, the phase 3 expansion isn't to increase the capacity to 40,000 - it's to put the structure in place to allow them to expand when needed (Grey Cup, Winter Classic, World Cup). It's also to allow the north and south stands to move to allow for CFL endzones and to add change rooms and facilities for the CFL teams. The CFL capacity will be 25,000

BiADGxMCcAAIyYi.jpg

Last edited:
I dunno - if it were that interesting or exciting would the team be in this much trouble? Any buyers on the horizon? Can you actually make money with a CFL francise?

I'm not a fan of the CFL because it is a kicking game whereas the NFL is a passing game (extra down) but having said that, I don't know if there is enough football interest in general in T.O. to make even an NFL team work here. The "Bills" experiment wasn't very successful, but they weren't/aren't our team - how can you get excited about a "borrowed" team?

Someday someone with lots of cash (I strongly suspect Rogers is actively working on this - hence the foot dragging on the Argos) will acquire an expansion team - the NFL wants this too - then it may work. Until then we are stuck with the Argos.

Your posts in this thread are just jam packed full of ignorance. Incredible. First (and most hilarious of which) is calling the NFL a "passing game". It's a running game. The CFL is much, much more in the air than the NFL is.

Next, they are in trouble because Toronto is a city full of wannabe Americans who want the bells and whistles and shiny things. Also because the Argos get screwed over by Rogers when it comes to scheduling and exposure. Last year the days leading up to Toronto hosting the East final were there any posters outside the Skydome advertising it? No, they were advertising some nothing game for a foreign league two weeks later. It's disgusting what Rogers has done to the team. Also their owner. He owns two teams in the league right now (Toronto and BC) and puts all his money into one of them while running the other one like a budget team. Their facilities are terrible and they have no money to attract free agents because of this.

Next, you're clearly someone who has never looked outside of the city limits if you truly think money cannot be made off of a CFL franchise, or that the CFL can't afford private stadiums. Sheer disgusting ignorance. No wonder people in the rest of Canada think Torontonians are wannabe Americans who don't care about the rest of the country.

Toronto is not "stuck" with their oldest and most successful franchise. This is a disgusting view to have and is almost the perfect representation of the sad state of football fans in this city. I honestly hope the NFL never comes to Toronto in my lifetime.

(also, know how the NFL as of late has slowly been becoming more of a throwing game and higher scoring? Don't tell anyone but they actually looked at the CFL and decided to replicate it, almost as if they realised it was better and more entertaining)

Your posts in this thread are just jam packed full of ignorance. Incredible. First (and most hilarious of which) is calling the NFL a "passing game". It's a running game. The CFL is much, much more in the air than the NFL is.

Next, they are in trouble because Toronto is a city full of wannabe Americans who want the bells and whistles and shiny things. Also because the Argos get screwed over by Rogers when it comes to scheduling and exposure. Last year the days leading up to Toronto hosting the East final were there any posters outside the Skydome advertising it? No, they were advertising some nothing game for a foreign league two weeks later. It's disgusting what Rogers has done to the team. Also their owner. He owns two teams in the league right now (Toronto and BC) and puts all his money into one of them while running the other one like a budget team. Their facilities are terrible and they have no money to attract free agents because of this.

Next, you're clearly someone who has never looked outside of the city limits if you truly think money cannot be made off of a CFL franchise, or that the CFL can't afford private stadiums. Sheer disgusting ignorance. No wonder people in the rest of Canada think Torontonians are wannabe Americans who don't care about the rest of the country.

Toronto is not "stuck" with their oldest and most successful franchise. This is a disgusting view to have and is almost the perfect representation of the sad state of football fans in this city. I honestly hope the NFL never comes to Toronto in my lifetime.

Sorry to upset you so much. I can see the CFL is important to you. It will likely survive both of us but I don't foresee it ever being as important in the GTA again as it once was. Just ask anyone what their favourite football team is and 90% of the time they will say the name of an NFL team.

I also don't think the NFL will be coming here any time soon, mostly because of the cost of building a huge stadium and the price of a team combined with an overall lack of interest in football in general. It's just not the same here as it is in the U.S. It's America's national game. Kinda like hockey used to be to Toronto - back when we used to win once in a while.

(I didn't mean to say you can't make a CFL team work in Canada - just not in Toronto - not enough people care. Too many other things going on and frankly, T.O. has had its fill of losing sports francises. Leaf nation has now become Hab nation as the Habs are now the most popular hockey team in Canada)

Last edited:
Sorry to upset you so much. I can see the CFL is important to you. It will likely survive both of us but I don't foresee it ever being as important in the GTA again as it once was. Just ask anyone what their favourite football team is and 90% of the time they will say the name of an NFL team.

I also don't think the NFL will be coming here any time soon, mostly because of the cost of building a huge stadium and the price of a team combined with an overall lack of interest in football in general. It's just not the same here as it is in the U.S. It's America's national game. Kinda like hockey used to be to Toronto - back when we used to win once in a while.

(I didn't mean to say you can't make a CFL team work in Canada - just not in Toronto - not enough people care. Too many other things going on and frankly, T.O. has had its fill of losing sports francises. Leaf nation has now become Hab nation as the Habs are now the most popular hockey team in Canada)

I really don't see how this is true - attendance was down this year, but only a few years ago the Argos were drawing the league average. Average attendance is only like 28K or something across the league. It's not exactly like there's been years and years of terrible fan support. Even TV ratings in the GTA are up over a few years ago.

The Dome is just a crappy place to watch...anything. but especially football

NFL is a passing league now.

^ Very true. As much as I will defend the Skydome in general, as a football venue it really sucks.

For baseball you're right it's not too bad, especially when there are 40K plus and the roof is open.

I really think that if the Argos were at BMO in a 25,000 seat stadium playing on priority days (or at least not Tuesday nights), there's no logical reason to assume they wouldn't be a success again. Not 40K like the old Exhibition stadium, but certainly the league average

Someday someone with lots of cash (I strongly suspect Rogers is actively working on this - hence the foot dragging on the Argos) will acquire an expansion team - the NFL wants this too - then it may work. Until then we are stuck with the Argos.
The NFL wants no such thing. There is nothing in it for them to expand to Canada, not that the NFL even wants to expand.

Rogers isn't actively doing anything. Corporations are forbidden from owning NFL teams.

Rogers the company yes cannot own a team outright

Edward Rogers III has more than enough money to own a team

Last edited:
Next year Pan American game for the soccer tournament is due to be held in BMO Field or Rogers centre ?

All the soccer games in the Pan Am tournament are at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton.

The Rugby 7s are happening at BMO Field

The province are expected to fund their part of the expansion because the stadium will be used for the Rugby 7's at the Pan-Am games.
Even when the it was assumed the province would be on board, the provincial funding was for the Phase 2 work to expand the field for the Argos, with construction beginning in October 2015 - long after the games end.

Phase 2 is just the addition of the roof canopy is it not?

Phase 3 is for the Argos

Back