He has more than enough. It doesn't mean he's stupid enough to waste his money buying the team

Leaf nation has now become Hab nation as the Habs are now the most popular hockey team in Canada)

At the risk of going too far off topic, this isn't true. The Leafs are the most popular and valuable NHL team. Montreal is #3, which is still pretty impressive.

He has more than enough. It doesn't mean he's stupid enough to waste his money buying the team
If he was stupid enough to bid, he was in to win.

But the real point is that this is one of the lowest valued teams in the NFL, and he still needed two partners to make a bid. For someone who is touted as really wanting to own an NFL team, it tells me he doesn't have enough.

Sad news? That would probably mean about 7 million viewers, a fantastic number for any TV program in Canada.

Well let's be honest - they are probably referring to the age group of 15 to 45 - which is likely 10 million and a quarter of that is 2.5 million - still more than I believe will ever watch a CFL game.

Well let's be honest - they are probably referring to the age group of 15 to 45 - which is likely 10 million and a quarter of that is 2.5 million - still more than I believe will ever watch a CFL game.
Considering that 11.5 million people watched at least part of last year's game (which was one-sided), simple math suggests you're dead wrong.

You really don't think 2.5 million would watch a CFL game or are you trying to be antagonistic? In a week in August a pretty ho hum regular season game between BC and Saskatchewan drew over a million to TSN to be that week's ratings leader in Canadian sports tv. http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...flict_of_interest_on_billy_bishop_rogers.html and, as other's have said, if the audience was only 2.5 million it would be considered a flop compared to last year's broadcast http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...tched-sports-program-of-2013/article15596026/

In regards to the CFL v NFL argument, I don't care (not a football fan at all....any kind) but the CFL, I think, is far more popular in this country than some people think.

EDIT: thought it might to give some perspective to those august CFL ratings by looking at a randomly selected week of sports ratings in October https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/the-great-canadian-ratings-report--whatever-174152593.html

Last edited:
Last year was the 4th most watched Grey Cup on record, and that was a blowout. Not to mention the most watched sports event of 2013 in Canada.

I really can't fathom arguments that the CFL isn't popular. The issue isn't fan interest, it's getting people to shell out cash to actually GO to the game.

And I feel that a 25,000 person packed house will greatly improve the experience if it comes to fruition

Last year was the 4th most watched Grey Cup on record, and that was a blowout. Not to mention the most watched sports event of 2013 in Canada.

I really can't fathom arguments that the CFL isn't popular. The issue isn't fan interest, it's getting people to shell out cash to actually GO to the game.

And I feel that a 25,000 person packed house will greatly improve the experience if it comes to fruition

Im sure I am not alone being a ESPN freak. ESPN rarely covers the NHL and almost nothing for the CFL other than a link on their website. As a result I happen to follow NBA NFL AND MLB much more. I went to two games this year which was courteous of free tickets from buying doughnuts at Tim Horton's. Previously I have been to grey cups because of connections with Sirius or CBC. I like the game but the stadium is terrible. The coverage is terrible if you do not own TSN (I Don't) And I did not even know the Grey Cup was this weekend until Saturday night and forgot about it Sunday when looking for something to watch. Instead I watched Home Alone for the millionth time. I can not be the only one whose had similar experiences.

You're probably not the only one who had a similar experience. But saying ESPN has little coverage of the CFL is like me saying I watch CNN and can't get enough Canadian content. TSN signed a new TV deal that was 2.5X more per year than the old one. You may not be alone, but clearly people are paying attention

Back