News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Indeed, Crowchild Trail should be free flow all the way out through at least 12 Mile Coulee Road, if not even to the next intersection (Bearspaw Road).

I have a question about the intersection of Crowchild and 12 Mile Coulee Road. With the proposed Ascension development by Highfield, the intersection of Crowchild and 12 Mile Coulee Road is proposed to be a “Continuous Flow” intersection but there still appears to be traffic lights and the proposed diagram doesn’t look to be much different than what’s already there. Could someone please explain what that is? Also it seems that there’s been some concern that a proper interchange should be built but some on County Council feel that there’s no room to build one. Is that really true?
It might have to do with municipal-provincial jurisdiction. Crowchild Trail is under City jurisdiction in Calgary, but west of 12 Mile Coulee Road it's a provincial highway (Hwy 1A) so the province would be responsible for constructing an interchange. One of the articles indicated the province isn't interested in building an interchange there. Rocky View County could lobby for an interchange, but doesn't have the authority (or funding) to construct it themselves.

It might have to do with municipal-provincial jurisdiction. Crowchild Trail is under City jurisdiction in Calgary, but west of 12 Mile Coulee Road it's a provincial highway (Hwy 1A) so the province would be responsible for constructing an interchange. One of the articles indicated the province isn't interested in building an interchange there. Rocky View County could lobby for an interchange, but doesn't have the authority (or funding) to construct it themselves.
They could offer to fund it. Calgary helped fund a Deerfoot interchange in recent memory.

Calgary should annex that land, approve the development, build the interchange and extend the LRT. I suspect other minimally developed, adjacent parcels could be annexed from Rockyview to improve the business case.

I can think of 5 LRT extensions I’d rather they spend money on than going beyond Tuscany.

Maybe one day it would make sense, but it’s pretty low priority. It’s the only LRT terminus (including Green line) that doesn’t have a plan for an extension on the books.
Makes sense, It's the only line LRT terminus that actually ends at basically the last communities/edge of the city limits. Unless it got a lot closer to Cochrane (which probably doesn't make sense) its a long way off from needing an extension.

Noticed there was work happening on the Deerfoot overpass of Glenmore Trail. Anybody know if this is maintenance or improvement? The only info I can find is a 2022 feasibility study on the interchange.

I was looking for more information about the Glenmore project and found https://www.deerfootimprovements.ca/glenmore-trail-2/ -

Improvements at Glenmore Trail and Mainline Deerfoot Trail will include:

• Increase capacity by twinning the bridge over Glenmore Trail and adding a third continuous lane in each direction
  • Safety and capacity improvements on eastbound Glenmore Trail at Deerfoot Trail
  • Safety and capacity improvements on ramps from southbound Deerfoot Trail

I'm assuming this means a third continuous lane for Deerfoot, not Glenmore (which I don't think is really needed at this location).

I think there could be a third lane added to EB Glenmore. as it does mention capacity improvements below. EB Glenmore to SB and NB Deerfoot is nightmare fuel consistently backing up EB traffic past Blackfoot.
The whole interchange has to be one of the worst in the city. The SB Deerfoot to EB Glenmore loop hopefully gets addressed.

I think there could be a third lane added to EB Glenmore.
I think the problem there is the ramps onto Glenmore, not the lack of through lanes. I drive through there as well, and it seems like most of the traffic is headed onto or off of Deerfoot.

Would you say it's better or worse than the 2 EB through lanes at 14 St, for example?

Back