News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The question we should ask ourselves is what is it about this liberal-capitalist society that produces so many addicts and mentally ill people?
Or we're nothing special. We've just collectively decided to be cheap. In the policy option space of prisons, mental health incarceration, and supportive massively subsidized housing we've decided to do a tiny bit of each leading to worse outcomes over time. In the 80s and 90s we scaled down all three, and with relatively healthy vacancy rates and a growing economy and a growing labour force participation rate, we didn't see in your face manifestations of problems immediately.

Great news and great locations!

One bone to pick:
I always found it odd - particularly in these TOD cases - that affordable housing developments in Calgary so regularly exceed the parking minimums. I can't recall any other affordable housing program in Canada that ends up with this result so consistently.

• Whitehorn: 52 units, 56 stalls - 50m from LRT
  • Shawnessey: 52 units, 60 stalls - 50m from LRT

Meanwhile, we have many market infill developments that are finding their stalls are not being used. Many use the minimum or attempt to relax even below that by providing 0.5 stalls/unit or lower in all types of developments near transit.

Given the locations and the stated goal of affordable housing, if we fit another 10 to 20 townhomes instead of the parking wouldn't that be a better outcome? I struggle to rationalize the decision process here about parking given it prevents even more housing on the same site.
These are large family units. I'm fine with it. We also have to think about class: the market infill may be targeting people who work at large employment centres and are enabled to work from home.

I'd have preferred a bit of a different design which enabled a choice to build some more townhomes later if parking turned out to be over supplied, but this is fine.

Haven't seen this one discussed yet. Owned by the Heninger family.
  • 3615 ERLTON CO SW
  • 3623 ERLTON CO SW
  • 3627 ERLTON CO SW
Land Use Redesignation from low density to medium density (MC-2)

Some renderings do exist, but I can't seem to find them. Also, as I understand it, they are related to the DP and could be changed after the land use decision anyway.

Last edited:
Because in poorer, less economically-developed countries, housing is cheap! In most places throughout history, poor people could simply build themselves shanties. That's exactly what happens here with encampments, but we find it completely intolerable and ask the police to go take them down.

The fact is, that if housing is scarce, the lowest tier of society will always lack housing. The solution is to provide more housing! We don't even need to make it some fancy, expensive medical compound on the edge of town. It can just be plain, no frills housing. If people need support, you can send social workers around for a fraction of the cost of police.

But, in Canada, governments at all levels have simply washed their hands of the housing issue and handed it over to the private market. We're dealing with the consequences today at every level of the socioeconomic spectrum. Homelessness is the same root cause as middle-income families being priced out of home ownership.

Wait... are you saying that mental health issues have no bearing on homelessness?

I don't think cheaper housing is going to help people suffering from schizophrenia or solve the opioid crisis. The other day I was walking by Dermot road and I saw a shoeless man that was passed out. He had soiled himself and his excrement was trickling down the sidewalk. I don't think cheaper housing is really going to solve the issues he's facing.

Listen...you don't have to like me...you don't have to agree with me...but the only thing I ask is that you engage with reality.

I'd love to discuss the reasons why housing costs so much in Canada and how for the past 25 years our leaders have failed the most vulnerable people in our society in this form: https://calgary.skyrisecities.com/forum/threads/canada-immigration-discussion.37461/page-4

P.S. Still waiting to hear a tangible solution to the homelessness crisis that is affecting the major Canadian cities. As an aspiring academic, surely you have the intellectual horsepower to come up with an original idea.

Last edited:
I don't think cheaper housing is going to help people suffering from schizophrenia or solve the opioid crisis. The other day I was walking by Dermot road and I saw a shoeless man that was passed out. He had soiled himself and his excrement was trickling down the sidewalk. I don't think cheaper housing is really going to solve the issues he's facing

Please, god, just listen to the experts.

Screenshot 2024-02-26 at 4.10.30 PM.png

Wait... are you saying that mental health issues have no bearing on homelessness?

I don't think cheaper housing is going to help people suffering from schizophrenia or solve the opioid crisis. The other day I was walking by Dermot road and I saw a shoeless man that was passed out. He had soiled himself and his excrement was trickling down the sidewalk. I don't think cheaper housing is really going to solve the issues he's facing.

Listen...you don't have to like me...you don't have to agree with me...but the only thing I ask is that you engage with reality.

If you can't possibly imagine how not having a home with a bed and a toilet could prevent a person from defecating and sleeping in public, then I'm not sure I'd be throwing around the "engage with reality" type talk.

If you can't possibly imagine how not having a home with a bed and a toilet could prevent a person from defecating and sleeping in public, then I'm not sure I'd be throwing around the "engage with reality" type talk.
Yeah. That's what I'm saying...provide homeless people with a safe, clean, environment to live while they get treatment. Such as tiered mental health facility for short/medium and long term stays.

Thank you for posting the article. This article lends credence to the idea providing a long term treatment facility.

In the interest of not derailing this thread any further, we can move the conversation here if you like:

If you're honest and make your arguments in good faith, I will return the favour.

What is the City doing with this parcel? When I click 'details' nothing loads.

LOC2023-0166

Also, I heard a rumor that the 34 ave right of way on the west side of Macleod is for a City far off plan to build a ramp over to Manchester. Any truth to that or place I could read about it? Seems a shame Co-op couldn't incorporate that right of way as it doesn't seem useful as reserve City land.

Thank you!

I wonder why they would do that when they have a full intersection with all movements at MacLeod + Mission Rd/36 Ave just a block away. And since 34 Ave would still not connect to MacLeod for all movements, the only thing this really gets you is access to Erlton St, which is itself parallel to and a block away from MacLeod. And not designed for a high volume of traffic.

This may not be the best place for this question: Does anyone recall where there are imitation structures in China of Calgary buildings? I recall seeing posts about the Peace bridge and the Bow? I think this was posted on SSP a while back, I've searched, but cannot find anything. Do I remember correctly? I don't think they were photoshopped, I recall links to the locations on Google maps. Any help on this appreciated.

New Truman Stampede Station Info. Take it with a grain of salt though, it comes from another one of those shoddy condo sites.

View attachment 544792
Wonder if these are for one of the empty parcels in the existing Stampede Station development (Stampede Station office tower, Nuera, Alura, Sasso, Vitro) or another parcel such as the dromer Ziff Energy building? I thought that One Properties still owned the Stampede Station parcels.

Also surprised that One hasn't kicked off the third Boulevard tower or acquired the two story building next to the Boulevard towers. Also surprised that the once planned 4th Keynote tower isn't going ahead as residential.

Back