News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Underneath the trains I get (i.e. the running rails, trackbed and to a lesser extent the 3rd rail), but why would the other infrastructure around the trains require strengthening, if the trains generally don't make contact with anything else besides the tracks & 3rd rail?
What do you think supports the rails?

That weight and those forces need to go somewhere. They don't just disappear into the rail, ties, trackbed, etc. This is less of an issue in most of the tunnels because of the way that they interact with the soil, but it may be a serious issue at things like bridges. Plus, not all of the "tunnels" are actually tunnels.

Dan

Reactions: DSC
What do you think supports the rails?

That weight and those forces need to go somewhere. They don't just disappear into the rail, ties, trackbed, etc. This is less of an issue in the tunnels, but may be a serious issue at things like bridges. Plus, not all of the "tunnels" are actually tunnels.

Dan
I do realize the rails are supported by the trackbed, which in turn is supported by what's underneath it, but my question was regarding what's not under (since you did say "around and underneath the trains"), and (as far as I know) doesn't need to support the weight of the train, i.e. platforms, walls, ceilings, etc.

Last edited:

There was a fire yesterday which has caused extensive damage, causing subway service to be suspended between Kipling and Jane with no ETA for resumption.

Oddly enough I had just pass through there before it happened.

I arrived at Dundas West from Kipling (around 10 minutes apart) and didn't notice any issues.

I'm actually quite lucky as I was coming from Mississauga

There was a fire yesterday which has caused extensive damage, causing subway service to be suspended between Kipling and Jane with no ETA for resumption.

Juat saw this on Reddit but cannot verify it.

@smallspy can you verify it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/TTC/s/EcgSIUkY0B

Screenshot_20240426_073334_Reddit.jpg

Last edited:
Wait - what? The article claims the police were not treating it as suspicious. Were there updates following the article?

Reactions: rbt
Wait - what? The article claims the police were not treating it as suspicious. Were there updates following the article?
Correct, they updated the article to reflect:
A source tells 680 NewsRadio Toronto that the fire was deliberately set. However, a police spokesperson said later that that authorities are not treating this incident as suspicious and are not actively investigating.

An admirable sentiment, but it's not about that. I am very much a believer in not catering to the geographically stupid. The problem is that keeping an outdated station name is also stupid. What is the point of a station name if it's inaccurate, even if it is entirely reasonable to expect that people behave like adults and do research on the location they are going to beforehand? At that point you might as well call your station Narnia, Moria, or Island of Sodor.
Ask New York City why they have a subway station called "High Street" on the A/C lines, despite the fact that "High Street" hasn't existed in half a century. Simply put, most people are used to the station being called that and don't want it to change.

Ask New York City why they have a subway station called "High Street" on the A/C lines, despite the fact that "High Street" hasn't existed in half a century. Simply put, most people are used to the station being called that and don't want it to change.

The TTC has a way with station names.

Do remember that Main Street station got it's name because the TTC did not want to confuse anyone into thinking it was their "Main Station".

If that is a remotely accurate figure, that is a) STAGGERING and b) yet another very strong argument for not pointlessly renaming stations and renumbering routes for various misguided political and new urbanist notions.
London is currently going through the project of separating and naming the various London Overground routes, and the whole project costs $4M for much of the same reason, needing to redesign/reprint maps, change around signage, etc. The Extra $3M there simply comes from the fact that they're renaming entire lines which means that they have to replace station signage on all stations of the Overground rather than just Pioneer Village and its neighbouring stations. All of this is to say that the $1M cost is in line with what other anglosphere countries are paying for such commodities.

But is there any instance ever of a rapid transit station anywhere in the world continuing to bear the name of a landmark even after it was renamed or removed? If the station was called Black Creek Village they'd be able to get away with it, but there is no getting around Pioneer Village. Hopefully this will be a lesson to be much smarter about choosing station names.
Main Street - Science World station in Vancouver kept its name since the opening of Science World in 1990, despite the fact that in 2005 it was acquired by Telus and renamed to "Telus World of Science". Granted its not much of an issue today since Telus dropped its sponsorship in 2020 with the attraction now called "Science World" again, but its definitely not uncommon for cities to refer to landmarks by some standard name regardless of sponsor changes or name changes. You sometimes also see this with sports stadiums and arenas where stations will be called something generic like "Stadium" station irrespective of whatever branding or sponsorship that stadium.

In some cases its entirely political. When Washington Nation Airport was renamed to "Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport" in 1998, it wasn't until 3 years later that the DC Metro changed the station name to reflect that, simply because the Republicans in power threatened to cut funding to the system if they didn't make the name change.

Last edited:
Apparently there is an SIU investigation at Sherbourne Station.

My understanding is that police were trying to apprehend someone who then rendered themselves unconscious. As a result, the SIU is involved.

Back