News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

From the ATU 113 Instagram account.

We are one step closer to a strike. I can already hear the chants "113, we don't work for free".
The slimy ATU 113 president was on newstalk 1010 this morning... when asked about what they want he just said job security pay and benefits... when asked to elaborate just complained that ttc was outsourcing their jobs and that 12000 members
were in danger... what a crock of shit. if hes going to win hearts and minds he needs to be more open and transparent about what they are bargaining for.

The slimy ATU 113 president was on newstalk 1010 this morning... when asked about what they want he just said job security pay and benefits... when asked to elaborate just complained that ttc was outsourcing their jobs and that 12000 members
were in danger... what a crock of shit. if hes going to win hearts and minds he needs to be more open and transparent about what they are bargaining for.

Indeed.

I highly doubt that the TTC will be outsourcing operator positions. I can however see them campaigning for higher wages and better benefits. The caveat here is that if the fares skyrocket to pay for the wage increase the union will not win over the public.

If ATU 113 goes overboard with their demands, I can see there being calls to have the TTC taken over by Metrolinx.

If ATU 113 goes overboard with their demands, I can see there being calls to have the TTC taken over by Metrolinx
Why is this significant? The fact that any random lunatic can type a thought on the internet doesn't mean we have to base public policy off of it.

Indeed.

I highly doubt that the TTC will be outsourcing operator positions. I can however see them campaigning for higher wages and better benefits. The caveat here is that if the fares skyrocket to pay for the wage increase the union will not win over the public.

If ATU 113 goes overboard with their demands, I can see there being calls to have the TTC taken over by Metrolinx.
Metrolinx can upload the subway and outsource it. It can't get worst than the bottom of the barrel, can't it?

The slimy ATU 113 president ... complained that ttc was outsourcing their jobs and that 12000 members
I believe this is with regards to cleaning staff that were outsourced (I believe in the Byford era) and recently being looked at to be re-integrated from a recent board meeting...He complained in the same meeting (well prior to today's negotiations), that all staff could be at risk of outsourcing (I'm guessing the thought being if one part of TTC staff can be outsourced...why not others?). Probably just a political statement and nothing more - I can't imagine outsourcing, yet, Metrolinx has done similar with GO no?

Metrolinx can upload the subway and outsource it. It can't get worst than the bottom of the barrel, can't it?

Metrolinx can't afford to do that without a substantial budget increase on the order of $2B/year (half capital, half operating) with the current fare-split mechanism. A bus->subway trip would earn TTC full fare and Metrolinx $0 for the subway portion. On the reverse, subway->bus trip, again TTC earns full fare for the bus portion and Metrolinx gets $0 for the subway portion. The only reason the TTC shows the subway operating at a profit is they split the fare favourably toward the subway portion of the trip.

To be fair, the province does provide TTC a healthy portion of the subway capital program which Metrolinx would likely receive.

I suspect if TTC subway service was uploaded we would quickly see demands from Ottawa/Kitchener/Hamilton to upload their LRTs too using the same fare-split rules. Metrolinx would either need massive annual subsidies or they'd significantly increase fares.

Last edited:
Statement from TTC CEO Rick Leary on bargaining with ATU Local 113

April 29, 2024

Since February, bargaining teams from the TTC and ATU Local 113 have been working hard to reach a fair negotiated collective agreement. ATU Local 113 is our largest union partner, representing approximately 11,500 operators, collectors, maintenance workers, stations staff, and other frontline employees.

The TTC is aware of the strike vote taken by ATU Local 113 over the weekend.

It’s important to note that seeking support for a strike is a common part of the bargaining process. However, the vote does not mean a strike is imminent, and no strike deadline has been set at this time.

The bargaining teams from ATU and the TTC remain at the table where they continue to negotiate a new collective agreement to replace the one that expired on March 31, 2024.

The TTC values the important and challenging work that all our employees do every day to deliver safe and reliable service – the employees in ATU Local 113 are an integral part of our operations.

We are heartened by the fact the TTC recently ratified agreements with CUPE Local 5089 (Special Constables and Fare Inspectors), and IAMAW Lodge 235 (millwrights, machinists, and other skilled shop employees).
Last weekend, we reached a tentative agreement with CUPE Local 2 (electrical skilled trades), which we hope will be ratified fairly soon.

Between 2011 and 2023, unionized TTC employees were deemed an essential service by provincial law and were not allowed to strike. That was overturned in 2023 by an Ontario Superior Court ruling that restored TTC employees’ right to strike.

We know from past experience that job action by ATU Local 113 would almost certainly lead to service disruptions for our customers which is why both sides are focused on reaching a new collective agreement as soon as possible.

We remain committed to keeping everyone updated on negotiations as they progress.

We encourage both our employees and customers to check our website at www.ttc.ca/bargaining (http://www.ttc.ca/bargaining) for the most current updates.

Reactions: PL1
The curves aren't the issue at Sherbourne, the issue is that the tunnels are bored to the west. Because of the distance to the surface there, I'm not sure that excavating a cavern is viable - it may require an open-cut in order to do it.

Perhaps east of the station, but they've never modified tunnels that heavily before (adding a two-track cavern where one didn't exist previously. I'll be honest with you, I'm not sure what that would entail, or even if it would be possible.

Also, earlier you noted that Chester was out of service. That is correct - the early closures for the past week, and this weekend's closure, are to replace the trackwork through there.

Dan

London has added entirely new platforms with new rail alignments through stations a number of times (as have other cities), so I have no doubt it is possible.

In this case you probably build a new track on the side of the existing running tracks headed in one direction and turn one of the existing tracks into a "pocket".

The real question is if it would be possible with our very high construction costs to make it worth building.

April 25
On my way to Kipling
53690892199_1fd0eb9d88_b.jpg

London has added entirely new platforms with new rail alignments through stations a number of times (as have other cities), so I have no doubt it is possible.

In this case you probably build a new track on the side of the existing running tracks headed in one direction and turn one of the existing tracks into a "pocket".

The real question is if it would be possible with our very high construction costs to make it worth building.
Anything is possible if you want to throw enough money at the problem.

But if the location of any potential crossover cavern had a building above it, and the building was never planned to have any such structure located underneath it, it may require the demolition of the building above. In that case, it the cost going to be justified?

And those tunnels, which are bored, and not at a great depth, do have buildings located overtop and around them. Thus is it going to be a wise use of scarce construction funding?

Dan

May 2
Had a look at Russell yard and it is slow going. Work underway for the center section with concrete poured for the east section, but missing the overhead support. Only 4 tracks to store equipment on in the yard at the west end.

Since the centre area is straight forward and easy to do, lets see how long it takes for it to be done as well in service.

The OS poles are taller than the old ones with the support being at the existing height.

Photos to follow.

Should note, 2 training cars arriving at the yard with 6-8 trainees and trainers on both cars. Never seen this many trainees on a car nor 2 together.

Back